New water well question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New water well question

Just had well dug and all set up for our new house. Placed the tank, etc. next to my barn - has a roof over it. My well guy is suggesting I enclose the walls around the well and use a space heater during the winter to prevent freezing.

That is one option - I know another is to wrap with the low voltage stuff but well guy says it is hard to get all of the pipes, etc. wrapped and still may freeze. I guess another option is to not enclose it but use some type of heat lamp near it.

Any of you NOT have your well fully enclosed and have you had freezing problems?

I have a pump house for my water pump and pressure tank that I use to pump water out of our lake. it's fully enclosed and I have a heat lamp setup on one of those thermo outlets that only comes on if it drops below a specific temp.

not sure how far up north you are but I would highly suggest some type of freeze protection. it's no fun messing with busted pipes. and yours is even more critical because the mail well.

if something does pop, PVC glue doesn't work in the cold so your going to have to heat everything up anyway to fix it.

Comment

My well house is fully enclosed. I have heat tracing on my pipes but rarely have to use it because it's rare that it gets below freezing.

Comment

Fully enclose and prep it for freezing, I learned this year the hard way!!

Comment

I enclosed my pump house, insulated it, have a light bulb, and also have a space heater that turns on when it gets down to about 45 degrees......I may have trouble with it one day but it will not be because it froze.........

-john

Comment

I have a heat bulb rigged up in our well house and our pipe are wrapped. We don’t have any issues with ours. We’re on the Arkansas/MO line, so it’s not terribly cold but we had several single digits this winter with no problem.

I’d imagine a space heater is big time over kill anywhere in TX if you have it insulated at all.

Comment

I built a removable pump house over mine. I also added a heat lamp with a photo cell, so it does not freeze at night.

Comment

I just run the pumps when it freezes- Mine is not enclosed and I have small holding tank/softener and 2in pvc pipe thats i wrapped in pipe wrap. Been 2 yrs now of hard freezes here and I have not had a problem.

Keep in mind the water coming up from the deep well is always above freezing- that helps.

Have you ever wondered how to protect your well from the freeze? Find out here!http://www.beecavedrilling.com/drilling-101/Be sure to subscribe!

Comment

Plastic building from Home Depot here. Roof comes off in the event t needs pulled. Has double doors for good access. Heat lamp wired in during the cold momths

Comment

Prep for freezing for sure.

I don't have a reservoir just a large pressure tanks, I wrap all the exposed pipes and run a sprinkler on a timer for about 10 minutes every 1.5 hours. My water comes out of the well at 52° and I can just run the sprinkler full time if I need to; but the heat tape really works well to keep everything thawed.

Install the heat tape as the instructions say, wrapped around the pipes and then insulated, otherwise it will not work very well.

Do not neglect the standpipe for the contactor/pressure switch either, wrap it good to keep it from freezing or the contactor will not work. It may not burst but you will not have water if it freezes.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                      I just run the pumps when it freezes- Mine is not enclosed and I have small holding tank/softener and 2in pvc pipe thats i wrapped in pipe wrap. Been 2 yrs now of hard freezes here and I have not had a problem.

Keep in mind the water coming up from the deep well is always above freezing- that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7pDKzqc8Rig
                      good info right there! thanks

Comment

Heat light with timer for the winter is what I use in my enclosed building Just make sure you make the roof so it can be removed so when you have to pull the well and make sure there is enough room to work on anything on the inside when something breaks. Good idea to keep ant poison out they really screw up well equipment.

Comment

Working...
                        X