Video: January Cull Buck from Killin Tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    LOL! Good question. If I set up my camera arm or tripod at the beginning of a weekend (which I normally do), I don't have to pack that in every hunt. I wrap my Sony with zoom lens in Domke wrap and carry it in my Tenzing camera bag. I can put my Osmo on top of the camera (with no extra mount). My 24-70 lens fits in a side pocket, I can fit a GoPros in the other side pocket. There is a front pouch, smaller front zippered pocket and two smaller side pockets for additional gear.

The biggest challenge is normally carrying tripod and camera clamps. I can normally clamp the Dinkum Action Pods to my bow, the tripod or even the bag, or slip them in a "cargo" pocket on my pants or coat. A bow sling for my bow helps free up a hand to carry things, if needed. I have lots of D Rings, Velcro straps, carbineers, rubber coated wraps, etc. to hold attach and hold stuff in place!
    Set up time for all the different cams must take a while also. then making sure all different cams and videos are rolling and in frame is alot to deal with. With a single vid camera is tough for me can't imagine all you deal with. Makes some great videos tho

Comment

LOL! Good question. If I set up my camera arm or tripod at the beginning of a weekend (which I normally do), I don't have to pack that in every hunt. I wrap my Sony with zoom lens in Domke wrap and carry it in my Tenzing camera bag. I can put my Osmo on top of the camera (with no extra mount). My 24-70 lens fits in a side pocket, I can fit a GoPros in the other side pocket. There is a front pouch, smaller front zippered pocket and two smaller side pockets for additional gear.

The biggest challenge is normally carrying tripod and camera clamps. I can normally clamp the Dinkum Action Pods to my bow, the tripod or even the bag, or slip them in a "cargo" pocket on my pants or coat. A bow sling for my bow helps free up a hand to carry things, if needed. I have lots of D Rings, Velcro straps, carbineers, rubber coated wraps, etc. to hold attach and hold stuff in place!

You misspelled "I drag a 12' trailer behind my Ranger" to setup....

Great video as usual. I guess I never knew that the Killing Tree was so close to an improved road. I always imagined it out in the middle of nowhere usually only seeing the shooting lane you opened up the video in.

Comment

Cool

Comment

Great video sir! This post made me laugh out loud!! ...been there, done that!! Probably why most of my best videos are "afternoon" hunts! Takes me at least 45 minutes to get set up and usually only have 1 camera, sometimes 2... With my new Osmo+, I'm looking forward to some exciting videos. Was the video of you climbing into your stand from a remote mounted/controlled Osmo? Looked like you panned/zoomed... Does your Osmo kill your battery in your cell phone (whatever you use for a display) quickly? I'm having that as an issue right now...

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            Set up time for all the different cams must take a while also. then making sure all different cams and videos are rolling and in frame is alot to deal with. With a single vid camera is tough for me can't imagine all you deal with. Makes some great videos tho
            The Dinkum Action Pods (I have one Pro, one regular and one homemade version) make pretty short work of setup. I have adapted my GoPros with Arca QR plates and have QR mounts on each pod. It's a matter of clamping the pods and mounting and pointing the cameras (and often I just leave them attached to the pods.)

My main priority is the Sony (of course, and the Osmo). I control the Sony by hand, as seen, and can operate (pan, tilt, zoom, record) the Osmo with my phone.

The GoPros are static, and I keep extended batteries on to power through a full hunt. I also use the "loop" function, which records successive one minute files and then overwrites at whatever interval I set (usually 20 minutes) unless I stop the recording, at which point it permanently saves the files. I also use the GoPro Wi-Fi remote to start/stop both GP's at the same time.

Honestly, I only used footage from the Sony and one GoPro for the actual hunting footage on this one. I used the Osmo for the intro and tracking. I did capture footage of the deer and shot from a second GoPro between me and the deer, but it didn't add anything to the story.

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            You misspelled "I drag a 12' trailer behind my Ranger" to setup....

Great video as usual. I guess I never knew that the Killing Tree was so close to an improved road. I always imagined it out in the middle of nowhere usually only seeing the shooting lane you opened up the video in.
            LOL! It's right off a road used frequently by gas well checkers. They are good about not coming through during "hunting hours" when we notify them.

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Great video sir! This post made me laugh out loud!! ...been there, done that!! Probably why most of my best videos are "afternoon" hunts! Takes me at least 45 minutes to get set up and usually only have 1 camera, sometimes 2... With my new Osmo+, I'm looking forward to some exciting videos. Was the video of you climbing into your stand from a remote mounted/controlled Osmo? Looked like you panned/zoomed... Does your Osmo kill your battery in your cell phone (whatever you use for a display) quickly? I'm having that as an issue right now...
            Yes, the intro and me climbing into the tree was filmed with the Osmo.
            I use an old Phantom 2 battery to power the Osmo when it's set up remotely. I carry a portable power bank (imagine that! ) to charge my phone (and occasionally my GP and/or Sony.)
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I can see a bigger power bank in my future! Have a smaller one that works, but with all the gadgetry I use now, I need more amp-hours! Thanks for the feedback!

Do you ever have any problems with animals "smelling" your cameras that are remote? When I first started using GoPro's, they had to be just as scent-proof as the rest of my gear... You do anything special?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                I can see a bigger power bank in my future! Have a smaller one that works, but with all the gadgetry I use now, I need more amp-hours! Thanks for the feedback!

Do you ever have any problems with animals "smelling" your cameras that are remote? When I first started using GoPro's, they had to be just as scent-proof as the rest of my gear... You do anything special?
                I've definitely had deer shy away from both GoPro and Osmo, at times, when they saw it. I put black gaffer's tape on the white Osmo head to conceal it a little better. I also try to conceal it as much as possible with limbs and brush. It's hard to tell if they've avoided it because of smell, but it's definitely possible. Anything you add to the equation obviously increases the risk.
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Another great high quality video by Mr. MM. I always look forward to your hunting videos and they never disappoint. Thanks again for taking the time to do all that you do to keep this site as good as it is. Honestly watching videos like this make me want to start filming my hunts. Lasting visual memories are made and there is so much to learn from watching your filming efforts. It's stuff like this that makes us all better bow hunters.

Comment

Another excellent video, Michael!
                    I always look forward to watching your hunts.
                    Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Great videos you do, make it look so natural, and easy. I have tried and I know it's not. Congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                        Another excellent video, Michael!
                        I always look forward to watching your hunts.
                        Thanks for sharing!
                        Thanks Mike!

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        Great videos you do, make it look so natural, and easy. I have tried and I know it's not. Congrats.

Thanks! It's still hard to talk to a camera, but it has gotten a little easier the more I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Nice job Michael! I will be headed to the lease in the next month or so hopefully to film a hog hunt.

Comment

Fancy shootin’!

You have any black and white pigs on that place??

Comment

Perfect mgmt buck! Great video.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                                Nice job Michael! I will be headed to the lease in the next month or so hopefully to film a hog hunt.
                                Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing the footage!
                                Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                                Fancy shootin’!

You have any black and white pigs on that place??
                                LOL! Somebody shot them all!
                                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                                X