Meet Our Newest Family Member!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meet Our Newest Family Member!

If you have read my previous threads, you know that my wife and I were looking for a pup for our family. We narrowed it down to a Boykin Spaniel or a Brittany dog. There were plenty of Britt's to be found, but I was striking out on a Boykin pup any closer than Alabama. I have spoken to several breeders that had waiting list to get on. As luck would have it, one of the breeders that I spoke with had someone call me about a pup. The guy had a 13 week old holdback pup that he planned to keep for himself. A sudden job change/ house sale/ relocation made him decide to sell the pup.

Last night me, my wife, and our almost three year old son went to check out the pup and his mother. I had reservations about getting a pup that was already 13 weeks old, so I told my wife not to get excited about it. Just as soon as my wife and son saw this boy and played with him I knew that went right out the window and this dog was coming home! Although I must admit, the excitement my son had to play with this pup did me in as well.

They have been calling him Skipper, we are not crazy about the name so we plan to change it. We have narrowed down to Ranger or Chase. Feel free to leave your opinion on the name decision.

What troubles will I have getting started with a pup that is already 13 weeks old? Open to any advice. This is going to be an inside dog that is also a hunter. Also talking heavily about getting a female of our own and starting some breeding.
    Attached Files

Any of you guys had luck with "Gun Dog", by Richard Wolters?

Comment

Beautiful dog, congrats! I like chase personally.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

What great pup and you made a great choice

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
            I would pick it up now and get started. Glad to see you got him. Did you find him in Texas or somewhere else?

Comment

Good lookin pup

Comment

Awwwww....makes me miss my Camo!
                Congrats, you made a great decision!!!

Comment

Yes I have. I was a fanatic and I watched a lot of videos from different trainers. I kind of blended all of the different tactics that were more applicable with training a lab (retrieving and flushing) and what seemed to work best for me and my pup.

Congrats on a good looking pup and enjoy the journey.
                  Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on the new pup.

As for the book, if you buy it, you are better off using it as a fire starter than a training guide. Lots of very outdated training information In there, which encourages very heavy handed training.

Start looking at some of the Tom dokken training videos or other well respected modern retriever trainers videos they have for sale.
                    Last edited by texas shag; 08-15-2018, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                      Congrats on the new pup.

As for the book, if you buy it, you are better off using it as a fire starter than a training guide. Lots of very outdated training information In there, which encourages very heavy handed training.

Start looking at some of the Tom dokken training videos or other well respected modern retriever trainers videos they have for sale.
                      I already have it. Any ones you recommend in particular for a newby?

Comment

I bought and read Water Dog before I got my golden retriever. It's fairly helpful, but overall I think a lot of what we have been teaching has varied some. It's not bad though. A good dog trainer of mine said those books are good to use as a basic guide, but you have to realize when to vary and do something different when their method isn't working.

As far as worrying about him being 13 weeks, you may be luckily. That's 4 more weeks that he probably spent house training him and socializing him that you don't have to deal with.

Comment

good looking dog

Comment

Originally posted by RealTreeHunter View Post
                            I bought and read Water Dog before I got my golden retriever. It's fairly helpful, but overall I think a lot of what we have been teaching has varied some. It's not bad though. A good dog trainer of mine said those books are good to use as a basic guide, but you have to realize when to vary and do something different when their method isn't working.

As far as worrying about him being 13 weeks, you may be luckily. That's 4 more weeks that he probably spent house training him and socializing him that you don't have to deal with.
                            Thank you!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X