Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Michael and Adam's 2020 New Mexico Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a late night, complete with Victory Beers all around!

Short story is I shot a cow elk that came into the watering hole right at 7:15. I was tucked behind a natural brush blind when I spotted her coming up the hill at about 100 yards. I hit record on the camera and waited. She came in, stopped for a few seconds just before the water hole to check things out, and then stepped forward for a drink. I drew back, elbow hitting a limb behind me. She looked up, but the arrow was on its way!

It was a 20 yard chip shot and the Jak Hammer found its mark. Blood began pumping out immediately. She ran up the hill and behind a stand of new growth pines so I listened for a crash. There was quite a ruckus and then I saw her come back around the other side of the pines running right at me, and then she fell and skidded to a halt about 75 yards away!

The exhilaration set in! It’s been a grind all week after two blown opportunities early. With the weather and lack of vocalizations from the elk, I felt like still hunting and sitting water holes were the best options. It finally paid off!

I tried to move her around to set up for proper LDPs, but she was too heavy for one man!

I sent a message via Inreach to Roy and Adam. Then the work began. By the time Roy navigated his way up the mountain with a 4 wheeler, I had her broken down and on a cheap tarp that I had in my pack.

We loaded the quarters on the 4 wheeler (great luxury!) but I put the straps, tenders and heart in a meat bag and strapped it to my pack for the hike down.

It was a “hairy” ride for Roy around and especially down the steep slope back to my pickup, but we eventually made it. We loaded the quarters in my pickup and then made the 40 minute drive back to celebrate with Adam, the guides.

We spent the morning getting all of our meet packed into coolers and gear cleaned up before setting in for an update and a nice brunch here at our camp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      It was a late night, complete with Victory Beers all around!

Short story is I shot a cow elk that came into the watering hole right at 7:15. I was tucked behind a natural brush blind when I spotted her coming up the hill at about 100 yards. I hit record on the camera and waited. She came in, stopped for a few seconds just before the water hole to check things out, and then stepped forward for a drink. I drew back, elbow hitting a limb behind me. She looked up, but the arrow was on its way!

It was a 20 yard chip shot and the Jak Hammer found its mark. Blood began pumping out immediately. She ran up the hill and behind a stand of new growth pines so I listened for a crash. There was quite a ruckus and then I saw her come back around the other side of the pines running right at me, and then she fell and skidded to a halt about 75 yards away!

The exhilaration set in! It’s been a grind all week after two blown opportunities early. With the weather and lack of vocalizations from the elk, I felt like still hunting and sitting water holes were the best options. It finally paid off!

I tried to move her around to set up for proper LDPs, but she was too heavy for one man!

I sent a message via Inreach to Roy and Adam. Then the work began. By the time Roy navigated his way up the mountain with a 4 wheeler, I had her broken down and on a cheap tarp that I had in my pack.

We loaded the quarters on the 4 wheeler (great luxury!) but I put the straps, tenders and heart in a meat bag and strapped it to my pack for the hike down.

It was a “hairy” ride for Roy around and especially down the steep slope back to my pickup, but we eventually made it. We loaded the quarters in my pickup and then made the 40 minute drive back to celebrate with Adam, the guides.

We spent the morning getting all of our meet packed into coolers and gear cleaned up before setting in for an update and a nice brunch here at our camp!

Sweet...Congrats! [emoji482]

Comment

sweet! congrats

Comment

Congrats and enjoyed the write up.

Comment

Well alright !!!!
            Can’t eat them dang ole horns anyway.
            Congrats

Comment

Delicious. Big ole meat cow. Congrats

Comment

Congratulations Michael! Really happy for you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

just lookin at her layin there makes my mouth water. it's been a looong time since I've killed n grilled elk meat. congrats n enjoy

Comment

Alrighty! Gonna be some good eating!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations guys!!!!

Comment

Well done all the way around.
                          Lots of meat coming home!

Comment

Congratulations Fella's!

Michael, I look forward to trying Elk meat for the first time and seeing you new house in a few weeks!

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Awesome that you both got meat in the cooler

Comment

Working...
                                X