X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gator griz hit a lot of points I would have not thought of. Great post

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
      I have been interested in, and thought about being, a taxidermist for years. It is just a hobby for me now, but I have alot of business related questions I was hoping some of you G.S. taxidermist might not mind answering for me.

How many are able to make it your full time job? How many do it on the side or in combination with something else? If so what?

If it is your full time job, how long did it take you to establish the business to a point of income that supports you?

Is it unrealistic to think I could be as busy as I want to be, and even maintain a couple of full time employees?

What percentage of your business is shoulder mounts? birds?, Fish?

What do you make your largest profit margins on? Deer, predators, exotics, birds, or fish?

Thanks in advance to any that don't mind answering. Feel free to pm me if you would rather.
      I'll try to answer a few of these...I started at a big shop and it took me a couple years to be able to support myself. After about 5 years I went out on my own. Didn't make much $$ but was growing quickly. Had a "big" shop with several full-time employees. BUT---wasn't really making much more $$ than when I was a one man show, just a lot more headaches. Other business opportunities came along and I was looking for a change, so I did. Decided to just do taxidermy on the side for a handful of clients. A few short years later I got into ranch real estate (Broker) and continue to do taxidermy on the side. Even as a side gig I'm usually running a 12-14 month turn-around time. I try hard to explain to everyone that it's a side gig, that kids, life, real estate, hunting and fishing come first. Most understand, some don't.

I don't mess with birds or fish. I only mount things with "hair" on them.

I can probably mount 4 deer in the time it takes me to mount one bobcat. Figure your profit margin on that.

IMO you can make GOOD $$ in taxidermy in 2 ways: Either get really big and have a lot of people working for you...OR cut corners and turn-out sub-par work faster. I wasn't willing to do either of those.

I like it much better as a side gig. Almost every taxidermist I know started full time and ended up just using taxidermy on the side.

Hope this answers some questions. PM if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
        I only do Euros, antler Mounts and turkey fan mounts. At one point I could have quit my full time job easily. I am ended up making it just a seasonal thing and turned down taxidermy work as it was just too much. But I know quite a few taxis that all do it full time.
        You could have made it full time doing euros?
        I'll probably do 200 this season as a part time seasonal gig. I can't imagine the number I would have to do to go full time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
          You could have made it full time doing euros?
          I'll probably do 200 this season as a part time seasonal gig. I can't imagine the number I would have to do to go full time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          Yes, it’s a volume thing and you have to get work from quite a few taxidermy shops. Then have to have a couple low level employees to skin out heads and other time consuming task. It can be done.

Comment

Yes, it’s a volume thing and you have to get work from quite a few taxidermy shops. Then have to have a couple low level employees to skin out heads and other time consuming task. It can be done.
            Were you using beetles or boiling?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Gatorgrizz, thanks for the thought and time it took to write that. Your post was definitely helpful and as stated above you hit on some good points I hadn't thought of. I have been self-employed as a framer and general contractor for 14 years and trying to transition myself out of it now. I still have a few major jobs to complete after the first of the year, but I definitely hope to be speaking to you about some of your ideas in the near future thank you.

Also Chance, thank you for answering some of my questions. Again very helpful and appreciated. Glad to know that I can pm with more questions, as I'm sure to have alot, as i try to pursue this.

Comment

The number 1 taxidermist turnoff for me is, not being honest about how long it will take!

Under promise & over deliver on this one. I won't take anything to a taxidermist who can't get this right. If you need a year, don't tell me it'll be 6 months!

Too many make this mistake!

Comment

I always Wondered how many animals a successful shop has to do to employee 4 or 5 people?

Comment

I've done taxidermy for about 17 yrs and I finally had enough. It was more of a side business for me. I had more animals than I wanted but I got them out in a timely matter. I also do construction so my evenings and weekends were full. Didn't get to hunt much or spend time with the family. I did all my own tanning and that's what made me get the job done faster but it's also what burned me out. One day I was in the shop and just tossed my tools to the table and said I'm done. That was 2 yrs ago.
                    So if I had it to do over I would send my hides off to get fleshed and tanned. That's diffinitly the hardest part of the job. Good luck to you.

Comment

It’s like any business, you just need to figure the profit and back into the number.

If you need $75,000 gross or $60,000 net income. Figure how many deer you will need to mount per day or week. Plan on working 250 days a year. Get your expenses down to the cent.

Danmuth in Brady has 13 full time taxidermists working and it still takes them a year but they do great work.

Comment

The spike is 26 years old
                        The little 8 is 14 years old
                        The 6 is 15 years old
                        The 7 is 25 years old

None of these cost more than $200

I'm shipping two 8s and a spike back next week @ $275/ea
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
                          Were you using beetles or boiling?

I was doing both then. Now I just boil. The beetles are great when they are going good, but can really put you in a bind. Lots of upkeep and keeping building the right temp was expensive compared to boiling.

Comment

I was doing both then. Now I just boil. The beetles are great when they are going good, but can really put you in a bind. Lots of upkeep and keeping building the right temp was expensive compared to boiling.
                            I've been boiling for 8 years but tried beetles this season. Between them and degreasing its been a major PIA. I'm going to keep a small colony for small animals and go back to boiling all deer heads next year.

Comment

If I wanted to be a successful, full time taxidermist, I’d plan to work like I was an employee and needed my weekly paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                                The spike is 26 years old
                                The little 8 is 14 years old
                                The 6 is 15 years old
                                The 7 is 25 years old

None of these cost more than $200

I'm shipping two 8s and a spike back next week @ $275/ea
                                Incredible

Comment

Working...
                                X