Work sharp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work sharp

You have? You recommend? You suggest going another route?

Discuss

(Notes:
    Tried search function keeps giving me error.
    Have other methods to sharpen, the cheap pocket ones, Smith’s rocks, crane lightbulb.)
    Last edited by eastxhunter; 07-17-2019, 12:57 PM.

I have one and love it. I use it all the time. Some guys prefer the stones, I can make a knife razors sharp in a minute or so.

Comment

I had one, but sold it. It works great, except for one thing. It's really easy to round the point of a knife off with the Work Sharp. When you're pulling the blade across the belt, the blade pressed the belt down against the guide. But as you get to the tip of the blade, the belt begins to lift up off the guide. It wraps around the tip a little, and will turn a sharp pointy tip into a round tip. You have to be careful to stop at the tip and lift the blade up and away, instead of just pulling it all the way through. If you master that, you'll love the Work Sharp. For me, it was too much hassle.

Comment

I have one and use it to sharpen all my knives. Can get them sharp pretty quick. The wife appreciates that I can sharpen her kitchen knives really quick as well.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          I have one and love it. I use it all the time. Some guys prefer the stones, I can make a knife razors sharp in a minute or so.

I feel the same about mine

Comment

I love mine for most applications. Will by another one if mine ever dies.

Comment

Good tip Shane. (See what I did?)

For as many knives as I’d like to keep sharp and my non desire to spend 20 minutes a knife on the stones I’m thinking it will be my cup of tea - plus I’m a millennial so you know i’ll pay extra for convenience

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                I have one and use it to sharpen all my knives. Can get them sharp pretty quick. The wife appreciates that I can sharpen her kitchen knives really quick as well.
                ditto

Comment

I was against it, for some odd reason. I was a fool. Absolutely love mine. I took a junk steak knife that literally would not cut my hand and made it super sharp in less than 5 min on my first try. Do a few knives like that if you are worried about messing up a nice knife. Get the ken onion model with adjustable guide angle. Well worth the extra $$.

Side note, what kind of belt life are you guys getting?

Comment

I have been using a work sharp for several years. It is a great tool that works well if you take your time. Some people have concerns about it taking off too much steel. With all the belt grits available I have not found that to be an issue; a 6000 grit belt is not going to take any metal off. If I have already established the edge angle then all you need to do it straighten out the edge or polish it. The key is to take your time to get a razors edge. I watched several youtube videos and practiced on kitchen knives before I went to work on my hunting knives.

Comment

I've got one but I really should package it up and sell it. I'm having problems using it properly and I'm really careful to lift the tip of the blade before it hits the front edge of the sharpening belt. I need to practice more on some cheap old knives here at the house, and if I can't get the knack I'll post it on the Classifieds section for sale. Here is a Worksharp sharpener that I use a lot:

The Guided Field Sharpener is a complete sharpening solution for field, home or shop use. It is the first angle guided, 5 stage sharpening solution designed for sportsmen who need a complete, robust and compact field sharpening solution.

With it I can get a good sharp edge in no time.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Love mine

Comment

Love mine , go the extra mile and buy some leather bands and some steel polish
                          Super razor sharp after some touch up

Comment

I believe the instructions tell you to STOP the belt before lifting off the knife at the very end so you do not round off the tip.

Comment

I have the ken onion work sharp love it I got it to sharpen my broadheads but I'm using it for just about everything now. It even sharpens axes, machetes, and lawn mower blades really well if you remove the guard.

Comment

Working...
                              X