Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Africa Advice

Howdy y’all,

My wife and I are heading to Zambia on the 14th for several weeks. She used to live there, so the first week will be spent with old friends of hers and visiting the school she worked at. The second week I get to hunt! This will be my first trip to Africa. I know there’s been several threads on the subject recently, but I was hoping to get some more advice. For those of you who have hunted Africa or anywhere out of the country, what are your top 3 pieces of advice for either packing, planning, or preparation? Thanks!

Plains game, Dangerous 7? Rifle or Bow? Pack your gear then reduce by 1/3. Especially clothes for hunting and sight-seeing, as they wash daily. Keep your optics and/or documents in your carry-on/backpack, etc. Have a very clear discussion with your PH/outfitter before you leave about the animals you prefer to pursue and how YOU want to hunt them...…….address those same issues when you meet. Not sure if you are bowhunting or gun hunting but be dialed in to at least 40/50 yards.....largely based on what and how you want to hunt. If I was gun hunting I would just use their gun as transportation of firearms can get tricky based on the airline route you travel. Enjoy the cultural differences and get off the beaten path!!!

Comment

Appreciate the feedback! My list (so far) is cape buffalo, hippo, puku and kudu. My wife just wants a croc. Going to use the PH’s rifles this time but definitely want to take my bow someday. Great point on optics! Always have enjoyed following along with your adventures!

Comment

I’ve been hunting over there 4 times, and never heard of a puku! But after looking it up, I have another critter to add to the list if I ever go back!!!!

Good luck on your adventure!!! If you are like most other folks, you will be planning a second hunt over there before your first hunt is finished!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Man, you come to TBH to find out about Texas hunting- go to the place where they exclusively discuss Africa

Comment

Get to pick up a Kafue Lechwe while you are in Zambia. It’s a 1 day hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
              Man, you come to TBH to find out about Texas hunting- go to the place where they exclusively discuss Africa

https://www.africahunting.com/commun...lanning-guide/
              My bad. But then I wouldn't have seen this very helpful link thank you for sharing - lots of good info!

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post

https://www.africahunting.com/commun...lanning-guide/
                So thankful to have found this.

I'm headed to RSA at the end of the month and this is a lifesaver

Comment

Are the airports as brutal as the ones in Western Africa? You constantly get harassed at the airports I have traveled to.

Comment

Originally posted by stickemhard3 View Post
                    Are the airports as brutal as the ones in Western Africa? You constantly get harassed at the airports I have traveled to.
                    In Zimbabwe, just be prepared to pass out $20 bills to ensure your luggage and firearms will arrive the same time you do.

Comment

Working...
                    X