Whitetail vs Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whitetail vs Mule Deer

Wanting to get some opinions on what you guys think as far as taste goes. This will be my second year to get to go Mulie hunting on my buddies ranch in the panhandle. Had quite a few shot opportunities last year but they were younger bucks. So my question is which one tastes better as I have never eaten mule deer.

The last 2 muleys I shot, I gave away. BUT, they came out of sagebrush nw Colorado

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Any animal out of sagebrush tastes rank. Mule deer on grass is good. Whitetail is a little better, but not a huge difference.

Comment

We hunt by Dryden, if I shoot a mule deer, my buddy’s wife tries to trade whitetail for it, lol. I like both, but the mule deer are delish from out there

A wise man’s heart inclines to the right, but the heart of a fool to the left.
        Ecclesiastes 10:2

Comment

I've eaten several mule deer from the panhandle and New Mexico and, quite frankly, I prefer them to white-tail.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I can’t really tell the difference between them, now the pronghorns in New Mexico don’t taste as good as the ones that we killed down in Valentin/ fort Davis ( probably what they ate) the ones from the post - fluvana area taste like pronghorns
            All deer meat taste about the same if cleaned and cooled down right

Comment

Well...the place I hunt is up close to Pampa. Lots of farm fields with wheat and milo in them. I did see one monster last year that cut right through the corner of the property into the milo field with out offering a shot. Hopefully I’ll get to find out what mulie taste like this year.

Comment

Originally posted by amcalister04 View Post
                Well...the place I hunt is up close to Pampa. Lots of farm fields with wheat and milo in them. I did see one monster last year that cut right through the corner of the property into the milo field with out offering a shot. Hopefully I’ll get to find out what mulie taste like this year.
                I shot a couple up there in that country and gave them away. Strong taste.

Comment

I’ve killed a pile of MD in Texas and the mountains of southwest CO.

I’d walk over a limit of dead WT to get my hands on a MD.

You might have surmised my preference by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    The last 2 muleys I shot, I gave away. BUT, they came out of sagebrush nw Colorado

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                    This ! That sage ruins the taste for me. Maybe if you had the entire thing made into sausage that would help.

Comment

Grew up on Whitetail but spent 20 years in Montana and Colorado and I really like Muley, with the exception, big old muley can stink up your house cooking it and be tough as boot leather. My brother gave me one of his old bucks once because his wife wouldn't allow it cooked inside their house. lol

Comment

Mule deer have a stronger taste than WT in general. They seem to have a different smell all together. The deer that live in sage brush country seem to be the worst.

Comment

The best venison I’ve had was a sept mule deer killed on alfalfa, but if any animal spent the vast majority of its life on alfalfa I can’t image it not being good

Comment

Killed one in Alberta a few yrs ago eating canola and alfalfa and it was some of the best venison I ever had.

Comment

I've killed a bunch of mule deer north of Van Horn and I prefer them over whitetail.

Comment

Working...
                              X