Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do we do? He's 5. Hard to let him walk...but I want to.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got 196. And some of those Mass Measurements could be Huge the way the drops line up Plus he isn't done growing yet

Comment

I got roughly 90"s of tines and a 105-110 frame. Hell of a buck and very unique. If you do decide to shoot him, who shoots him?

Comment

I think you enjoy him, work like hell to find his sheds and put them on a nice cape. let him breed more does and see what he dose. Best of both worlds.

What an awesome deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
          He's gotta be close to 200 right?

give him 34 inches of mass and say he is 25x25x25 that's 109 frame. He's probably wider.
          You know your deer better than I do obviously but he looks much wider than 25" and looks to have much more than 34" of mass given what the H3&4s will be. I can not get him under 200. Of course if his beams arent longer than 25" it doesnt matter how much wider he is for score.

Comment

So if you let him go one more year that yields you what in the field as far as offspring is concerned?.... Let's say you do let him go to age 8 or 9, will he be more impressive in the later stages of his life....maybe? Will he have this many drop tines...doubtful. As he sits right now, he's one impressive buck-rare indeed. With the history and mount of the other drop tine buck shot on the property years ago and the striking resemblance this buck shares with that buck, I just might allow these circumstances to override the managers heart that I have for the herd. You said it took how long for this trait to show up in your herd....looking back on this buck 10-20 years from now, I'd say that it would be so stinking cool for you and your father to be able to have this buck mounted next to the buck shot in the 80's and use it as an incredible piece of ranch history to look back on. El Gato says it best "if you just have to have the buck, then kill him".

Comment

To me there is a reason y'all killed a buck over 300 inches, because y'all didn't kill him at an earlier age, even though he was well into the 200's. I understand the 7 droptines argument, but me personally I would have to roll the dice.

Comment

Originally posted by captardvark View Post
                Shoooooooooooooooot
                this, easy

Comment

If your ranch didn't produce "mini" and the 270"+ buck that you killed, than the decision to kill this particular buck would probably be a lot easier. Its hard to decide to kill this buck after seeing what the other deer on the ranch have done when given another year. And this buck does have 7 drop tines, but once the velvet comes off, 3 of those drops don't look like they will be that substantial. Depending on where and how you mount him, those 7 drops may not really stand out, which is the main reason for wanting to kill him.

Will that buck ever have that many drops again? Will they be bigger next year? Will he be the next 270"+ buck from the ranch?

But at the same time, you have to remember why your doing all of this in the first place. And killing a big buck that "does it for you" is the ultimate goal.

Comment

He's gotta be close to 200 right?

give him 34 inches of mass and say he is 25x25x25 that's 109 frame. He's probably wider.

What do you get?

He has so much its hard for me to guess. I sure gave him more mass than you did. The velvet makes it hard though. His beams are long too. Maybe 27??? I am struggling with making a guess. I can get his typical frame to 195 if I try hard. Thats probably the bigeye but I keep coming up close to that.

If he doesnt gross over 210, I would be stunned.
                    Last edited by GarGuy; 08-24-2016, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      He has so much its hard for me to guess. I sure gave him more mass than you did. The velvet makes it hard though. His beams are long too. Maybe 27??? I am struggling with making a guess. I can get his typical frame to 195 if I try hard. Thats probably the bigeye but I keep coming up close to that.

If he doesnt gross over 110, I would be stunned.

His right side scored 84 last year.

Sent from my Walkie Talkie using Tapatalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
                        If your ranch didn't produce "mini" and the 270"+ buck that you killed, than the decision to kill this particular buck would probably be a lot easier. Its hard to decide to kill this buck after seeing what the other deer on the ranch have done when given another year. And this buck does have 7 drop tines, but once the velvet comes off, 3 of those drops don't look like they will be that substantial. Depending on where and how you mount him, those 7 drops may not really stand out, which is the main reason for wanting to kill him.

Will that buck ever have that many drops again? Will they be bigger next year? Will he be the next 270"+ buck from the ranch?

But at the same time, you have to remember why your doing all of this in the first place. And killing a big buck that "does it for you" is the ultimate goal.
                        Never know about the drops, but he doesn't have enough going on to get to 270 later in life. He's probably stuck in a 30 inch window on the high side right now.

Doubt he will get more than 10-15 inches bigger. Doubt he will get more than 20" smaller. But the potential to treat water or go down is pretty high...

Comment

I have him around 210.
                          120" down
                          65" up (typical frame) and 25" of extras

Here is a pic of Mrs. Stedmans's deer I mentioned earlier. They have a lot of similarities in their racks. Hers has 6 drops and one broken off.

Comment

Yeah.....well he is a heck of a lot bigger this year. maybe i didnt have the bigeye after all.

Comment

A couple of truly great bucks. Good luck with what ever you choose. Nice to look at.

Comment

this is my answer to walk. but im not after 7 drops...these drops are most likely going to come back and The frame will be there. breed and look for sheds....I think..

good luck in your hunt. such a great problem to have.
                                Last edited by mjbtexas; 08-24-2016, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X