Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa Rifle Hunt 2016/17

Anyone else get drawn?

I got pulled for the Jan 13-15 deer tag. I'm headed down that way for Nilgai meat. I will have my mountain bike and a trailer. Anyone biked through it before? Should I get some fatter tires to get through the sand?

Hopefully I can get deep enough to have some space and find a nilgai.

Is there any point on bringing a spotting scope? I know it is flat but are there any slightly elevated knobs to glass from?

My backpacking rifle is a 7mm-08, I have a feeling it would do the trick on a cow but need a little more gun for a bull.

Originally posted by robie View Post
    Anyone else get drawn?

I got pulled for the Jan 13-15 deer tag. I'm headed down that way for Nilgai meat. I will have my mountain bike and a trailer. Anyone biked through it before? Should I get some fatter tires to get through the sand?

Hopefully I can get deep enough to have some space and find a nilgai.

Is there any point on bringing a spotting scope? I know it is flat but are there any slightly elevated knobs to glass from?

My backpacking rifle is a 7mm-08, I have a feeling it would do the trick on a cow but need a little more gun for a bull.
    That's plenty of gun.

Comment

The 7mm-08? you think it will do for a bull?

Comment

Originally posted by robie View Post
        The 7mm-08? you think it will do for a bull?
        Time out, I was thinking of the wrong gun. I don't know how that rifle compares to a 30-06 but a 30-06 Is plenty of gun for nilgi. So if it's anywhere close it should be enough. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

I got picked for archery weekend of thanksgiving , itll be my first time thr

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
            Time out, I was thinking of the wrong gun. I don't know how that rifle compares to a 30-06 but a 30-06 Is plenty of gun for nilgi. So if it's anywhere close it should be enough. Sorry for the confusion.
            lol, yeah I think any .30 cal would do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcoCazador View Post
              I got picked for archery weekend of thanksgiving , itll be my first time thr
              Congrats. I think you guys are brave for trying this with a bow. That's a long drive for a tough hunt.

Comment

i was drawn for the dec 16-18 deer/nilgai gun hunt. 7-08 is plenty for nilgai , i'll either bring my 7-08 or the .270

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                  i was drawn for the dec 16-18 deer/nilgai gun hunt. 7-08 is plenty for nilgai , i'll either bring my 7-08 or the .270
                  Good luck. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

You planning on hiking in or bike?

Comment

I'll walk, not going to drop the money to invest in something for a 2 day hunt, I'll manage somehow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drew the jan 13-15 deer permit as well. I'll probably bring a 7mag. I have a .338RUM but in heavy barrel. I plan on doing a lot of walking... This will be my first hunt down there.

Comment

Originally posted by casilva43 View Post
                        I drew the jan 13-15 deer permit as well. I'll probably bring a 7mag. I have a .338RUM but in heavy barrel. I plan on doing a lot of walking... This will be my first hunt down there.
                        Very nice. You going solo? You hoping for deer or nilgai?

Comment

I just got an email...My son and I got picked for the Dec 30th-Jan 1 hunt!
                          Last edited by billfromtx; 10-28-2016, 09:16 AM.

Comment

A 7mm-08 will work, but you should use a tough bullet like a Barnes TSX or Nosler Partition.

Comment

My dad and I got drawn for the Jan 6-8 rifle hunt

Comment

Working...
                              X