Fried Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fried Turkey

Anyone ever fried a 20lb turkey. I know the recomendation is 15lb max but, my wife already purchased the bird. I have heard you can part it out and fry the legs/thighs and then fry the breast. Just looking for some input from anyone who may have experience with larger birds and fryers.

I've never fried one, but just wanted to say....Be careful. We just drove by a house fire here in Atascocita about an hour ago. News is saying they think it's related to frying a turkey.

Comment

Fry it out on the patio. I've done several, I've never parted any of them out to fry them. I've never heard that it was limited to a certain size bird. I'm using an oiless fryer tomorrow and it calls for a bird up to 16#, well I'm in the same boat as you, while I was gone out of state hunting, my wife bought a 20# turkey. It says to figure 8-10 min per #, I'm cookin this one for about 3 hrs and gonna check it.
      If you have a pot made for frying turkey's in it, most call for 3 gal of oil, I'd go with a little less oil, to compensate for the bigger bird. Thats so your oil won't be too close to the top of the pot once you put the turkey in.

Comment

Do a fluid level check with water before you put in the oil.

Put bird in pot then fill with water to cover it by 3-4 inches. Pull bird out and let it drain good into pot.

Mark the level of the water on the outside of the pot with a Marker.

Pour out your water and dry off the bird GOOD.

Pour oil to line and heat.

Comment

Yep, I love fried turkey. I haven't ever done one that big, but I don't think it would be too difficult.

Comment

Doing one that big you will burn the outside and it will be raw in the middle

Comment

My grandfather passed on the tradition of frying turkeys to me. I'm the official turkey fryer. I've found 13lbs to be just about perfect. I baked one 19.5lb. turkey this year for meat and juices and fried 3 @ 13-14lbs. I usually do 3min./lb. and add 5 minutes or so at 350F. With 13-14lb. birds, that's just about 45 minutes each. I have a double burner and I fry two at a time. Good stuff. 20lbs. is a bit big to handle, but I don't think you'd run into the rawness inside...that's the beauty of frying...it cooks the bird not only from the outside in, but from the inside out because the body cavity fills up with hot oil...that's why it only takes 45 minutes at 350F to cook a bird of that size. Just my $.02.

Comment

Here is another way to fry your turkey. Cut the breast meat off the bone. Then cut across the grian, salt, pepper and roll in flour. Cook in black skillet just as you would pork chops. The turkey turns out to taste a whole lot like fried pork lions. This is a great way to cook an old wild turkey. Let me know if you try this one and what you think. You can also add a little garlic powder if you like it gives it just that little extra kick! Good luck and good eating.

Comment

Yes, I can vouch that it is difficult to do a good job when frying a bird that large. I have tried, with poor results, on a couple of occassions. What happens is that in order to get the bird done on the inside, the wings and thin portions of the legs get so crispy you can't eat them. I've had best luck with birds under 16 lbs. I have wondered if it would be possible to take a large bird out of the pot early (before the legs/wings get too crispy) and "finish" it in the oven, say at 250F for a while -- but have never tried it.

Comment

You can do a Twenty with no prob. Just check internal temp after cooking about 3.5 to 4 min per pound at 375.

Comment

I agree with one66stang then just keep the temp around 250* cook it till it look like its tring to float.

Comment

20 pounder might be a little hard to handle. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X