Pheasant???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant???

I am going to Kansas for my first phesant hunt this year. I was wondering what is the best pheasant shot shells for the money?

I like federal high brass number 4 lead for stone dead roosters. Remember to get on them quick. They can run as fast or faster than you can if crippled.

Comment

Prairie storm #5s 3”

Comment

They are tough birds! I’ve been to Kansas twice on pheasant hunts and the first time I got tired of shooting them and knocking them down and them not being there when I walked up. I was using 3” BB Duck Load on that trip...the second trip I brought Federal Premium 31/2” Turkey Load.

Comment

I’m in South Dakota now for the opener tomorrow. I’m using #4 shot high brass federals, $20 bucks a box so not cheap

Comment

Agree with everyone...and laughed at duck loads.

Comment

I’m in s Dakota now as well for the opener. I use Fiochi #4 in 3 inch.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly1 View Post
                They are tough birds! I’ve been to Kansas twice on pheasant hunts and the first time I got tired of shooting them and knocking them down and them not being there when I walked up. I was using 3” BB Duck Load on that trip...the second trip I brought Federal Premium 31/2” Turkey Load.

Hahah seriously!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly1 View Post
                  That’s funny, I actually used a pheasant load for turkey this year and ended up getting a double. Two toms in one shot.

Comment

I've killed a a ton with 8 shot as we were hunting quail. 6 shot will work great

Comment

If you shoot for the head #6 lead will.work. If you miss the head and hit the body and are lucky enough t9 find one, after you clean some and notice the #6 lead barely penetrates the breast with a ball of feathers wrapped around it you will see why #4 lead or larger is what the tough birds need.

Comment

I used 5 shot 3" in my 20 last year. Its easier for me to shoulder quickly while wearing a heavy coat.

Comment

High brass #5s is what I used for the SD opener.

Comment

You want to kill them in the air. Otherwise, there is a very real chance some birds you knock down will run to the next county. I use high-brass #4s or #2s and a tight choke.

Comment

Sounds like you need a retriever either way to run them down after haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X