Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke

First time to smoke brisket. Fat side up or fat side down? Or does it even matter?

Trailboss

Up

Comment

Up

Comment

Low and Slow, fat up for "Juice flow" Lol
        Fast and Hot, fat down for "protection" from heat to prevent drying … In theory

Last edited by BlackHogDown; 08-03-2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Doesnt matter

Comment

cook time is 1/2 up.....1/2 down

Honestly i think it all comes down to personal preference

Comment

Fat down.
              Or up.
              Dont matter.

Comment

Personal choice, but I like up. Work with your smoker and orient the fat to block the hottest part.

Comment

Doesn't matter really. I do mine down just because of the way my heat flow is.

Comment

I don't think it really matters all that much, but I do mine fat side down for the first hr amd a half then flip fat side up the rest of the cook. My theory is that it helps the fat heat up and start to render quicker while down, then bastes the meat while fat side up the remainder of the cook

Comment

Up or down doesn't matter, just don't cut it all off. That is the best part of a brisket, the nice fatty burnt ends.

Comment

Is it from the right or left side of the steer?

Comment

Either way, John. The fat juice does NOT run down and penetrate into the meat. It will simply run off the sides.

Comment

I always do 3 hours with fat down, then wrap it for 3 hours. When it’s done, nothing is charred, and it is sitting in juices.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              Either way, John. The fat juice does NOT run down and penetrate into the meat. It will simply run off the sides.
                              This. I prefer it down to drip away instead of running down the outside and protect the meat for the occasional spike in temps when I add a stick or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X