Old Country Pecos smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Country Pecos smoker?

I have been looking for a stickburner on a budget for a while now and this one seems to fit the bill. They sell at Academy for $399 and seem to be a little bit better made than the other big box smokers I have found for the price. Does anyone here own one that could give a first hand review/experience with it? Any insight or help yall can provide is greatly appreciated, thanks.

The Old Country BBQ Pits Pecos Coal Smoker features all-welded steel construction with heat-resistant paint for lasting use. Stainless-steel "stay cool" handles pro...

They're okay. The fire pit door will burn off pretty fast though.

Comment

Yes, one of the knocks on it in other reviews were the hinge welds on firebox door and paint not holding up, but were otherwise fairly positive. I like that it is thicker metal than any others in its price range, welded instead of nut amd bolt, and really like the position of the smokestack for airflow. Ill most likely end up buying one in the next few days, but do know there are a lot of BBQ guys on here so figured I would check to see if anyone else was/is using one.
      Last edited by woodsbound; 05-29-2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I’m a big time BBQ person and while there is more to be desired, that is probably a great pit for the money and setup closer to right than most I have seen. I’d say go for it, just run smaller logs in it to help control the heat fluctuation the thinner metal will cause.

Comment

I work at Academy and I would say based on the price and what I have seen and heard from customers you can’t be upset with it.

Comment

I’ve had one for over a year and I love it. I’ve cooked 2 briskets on it at a time and it cooks well. It is very versatile as well. Can cook anything that you want on it. You do have to tend it pretty regular with the temperature fluctuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For the money you can't beat it. Is there better? Sure but not anywhere near that price.

LWD

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, I am pretty much sold on it. It fits the budget and should be a huge step up from my current barrel style setup for sure

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
                  I work at Academy and I would say based on the price and what I have seen and heard from customers you can’t be upset with it.
                  JeepGuy, thanks for the info. Since these are welded they come in preassemled correct? I'm not sure if this would be the case at any academies around here, but if a customer was to buy one there would you let them take a look through the stock in back and pick the one they wanted? Would really like to check the welds and finish and choose the best one from the ones available, Thanks

Comment

I have one its very good, very thick metal will last long time. Had mine about 5yrs I think.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsbound View Post
                      JeepGuy, thanks for the info. Since these are welded they come in preassemled correct? I'm not sure if this would be the case at any academies around here, but if a customer was to buy one there would you let them take a look through the stock in back and pick the one they wanted? Would really like to check the welds and finish and choose the best one from the ones available, Thanks
                      Yes..The Old Country BBQ Pit come built already come welded together. They are built in Mexico and delivered to the distribution center in Katy and then they are sent to stores to sell. I know this because I used to work for the Academy in Victoria as the Camping Team Lead. If you have any other question feel free and PM me.

Thanks,
                      Marcus

Comment

Unless you are going to get into competition bbq this is exactly what you want. All welded and thickest steel you are gonna get in that price range. Cant go wrong, just make sure the doors hinges haven't bent in transport like has already been mentioned and you are good to go.

Comment

I love mine for the price. If you buy it thinking you’re getting a 2K custom pit, you’ll be disappointed.

Comment

I'm going on my fourth year with mine. Could use another splash of paint, other than that no complaints. I use it at least a once week whIle I'm home from offshore. Keeping constant heat on the smoker is tricky but once you figure it out its not a problem.

Comment

I like the one that we have at my place but I didn't like the thin door going so fast.

If you use just charcoal you might be fine but if you put oak in that fire box, trust me, the door will be gone soon enough lol.

Other than that it cooks very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X