Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > History/Traditions > John "Tuthdoc" Lee Threads

Old 05-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #51
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

I found these on a work weekend thread from a couple years back. I thought it was strange that he was using a coke cup to hold his pepsi.
Attached Images

Jamesl is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #52
Double L
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Good stuff guys. Matt, you tell all the stories you want...it's good for you and for us. If Doc couldn't use up all Michael's bandwith you sure ain't gonna post too much!
Double L is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #53
Bower
Spike

Hunt In: Webb & Tom Green

Well my first meeting with John was June 29 1961 I do not remember it but he seemed to remember it well. He told me I looked like a lil girl when I was a Born. When I was 3 he thought it would be funny to have my girl cousins put me in a dress with a purse and a baby doll and take a pic....That pic is long GONE. When I was 5 he spent many hours teaching me to ride a bike. When I was 7 he worked everday teaching me to play baseball , telling me " If your going to do something you all ways give it 100% you don't have to be the best but you be the best you can be" ( I live by those words everyday) When I was 8 I started going with him to the marshes duck hunting. I was scared to shoot a gun and he never pushed me into it I just went and watched and learned . John always told me when I was ready I would shoot. I would not fire a gun other than a 22 even tho I would tell him I was ready and we would load up and go to the rifle range and I'd chicken out , he never was cross with me. John was going to find a way to get his "baby Brother" to enjoy the art of hunting. I was 11 years old we were hunting out of comstock Tx . John talked me into taking the old lever action 30-30 he told me I didn't have to shoot it just carry it. So I did , we walked those hill for what seemed like 10 miles throwing rocks in canyons to get the deer running. Well when we got to the deepest canyon in the very back of our pasture I thru a rock and a buck came out the otherside .The buck was running some 250 yrds away . John pulled up with his blonde 25-06 and shot. The buck rolled. We we slapping backs and laughing I told him I was about to shoot and he was happy about that. Well when we looked up the buck was running again. The only thing I remember was him yelling "Here is your chance Baby brother shoot him" . I shot that Buck on a dead run at 300 yrds with a 30-30 yeah I know I musta flinched it into him but I put him down. I think that day was one of the best days for him. He let me claim this buck even tho he knocked him down first . The buck was an 11 pt and for the time it was the biggest buck any of us had taken. And the man John was he stepped aside and made sure I knew the deer was mine. (john didn't know what he started because after that day he had to buy me a many a box of bullets) I look at this buck everday but its never ment as much to me as it does today. John was with me with every first I had ,other than dating ,,,but he had me well informed..wink . John tought me to blow a duck call and I had to pass his test before using it. He tought me to shoot rifles, shotguns and bows (John bought me my first bow). John was with me when I killed my first elk. John always told me I had the gift of always having the big deer come find me, What I had was the gift of a great teacher. He was my best man when I got married. John was my rock when I was down he knew just what to say to pick me up . So my memories of John D Lee span 47 years we sure had a lot of first and he sure liked seeing his baby brother succeed. John made me the man I am good or bad it was him. I shall miss him calling me everyday when he was driving home from work and so was I . I guess i'll have to call Matt. Good bye my brother you must be clearing the path again.
Bower is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #54
dcrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kalamazoo

I am fairly new to this site but it's easy to recognize a good man through the respect given to him by others. Matt, I don't know you but you it appears to me you were thoroughly blessed to have Tuthdoc as a father in law. Bless you and your family and stay strong...let the good memories bring you through this time.
dcrow is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #55
BaylorCoBowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Seymour/Baylor County

Thanks for sharing Bower. God bless you! Prayers continue for you and your family.
BaylorCoBowhunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #56
Archery1st
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Tx / Lampasas County, Tx / Union County, NM

Mark - That was a great tribute! Thanks for sharing that.
Archery1st is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #57
Cull
Pope & Young

Great stories Mark. Thanks for sharing them.

Your brother was a man among men.
Cull is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #58
Double L
Pope & Young

Great remembrance Mark. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
Double L is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 10:26 AM   #59
Legdog
Pope & Young

Outstanding tribute Mark.

It was easy to see your brother was a fine man by his participation here. Its especially nice to get the big picture from family.
Legdog is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #60
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I was lucky enough to share the Lewis Ranch campfire with John.......when his truck layed down on him. I'm not a mechanic by a stretch but Joey, Scribner, Jason, and myself were able to fix him up, granted it was via some un-sanctioned tool use. John taught us that day, in a round-about way, that 3 men and two big crescent wrenches are a suitable substitute for an inch and 5/16 socket.

I'll never forget that night when I went to bed, and my wife said to me "I've never seen you in such a hurry to work on someone else's truck". To which I replied "You've never met anyone like Tuthdoc!". And she said "I know...."

She told me last week whein I was having a hard time with this, how she knew the first time I introduced her to John, how much I respected him, and how it showed among all of us in camp. She knew immediately how much we all thought of him........without any of us saying a word. That in my mind is what sepparates men like John from the rest.
That will stick in my mind from now on.
Dale Moser is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #61
Joey~AP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I'll never forget that night when I went to bed, and my wife said to me "I've never seen you in such a hurry to work on someone else's truck". To which I replied "You've never met anyone like Tuthdoc!". And she said "I know...."
I got a pic of that too!

Name:  lewis 7-4-7 093.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  76.8 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Joey~AP is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #62
Joey~AP
Administrator

Group Pix

Ive been troubled the last several weeks about my priority on "Group Pix".

I missed the opportunity to get pix of all of us with Joan in Camp Wood....and with Doc on the LEwis.

I will never get those opportunities again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #63
Mary
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey~AP View Post
Group Pix

Ive been troubled the last several weeks about my priority on "Group Pix".

I missed the opportunity to get pix of all of us with Joan in Camp Wood....and with Doc on the LEwis.

I will never get those opportunities again.
I have one of us with Joan I'll send you....we really missed getting one with Doc
Mary is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #64
Joey~AP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I have one of us with Joan I'll send you....we really missed getting one with Doc

Thanks, Mary! I didnt know that existed.

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Old 05-26-2009, 11:29 AM   #65
SMUMan02
Ten Point

Hang in there Mailman. I never met Tuthdoc, but I know he must have been a good dude for his son-in-law to have so much good stuff to say about him. Seems like the two of you had a pretty rare FIL-SIL relationship.
SMUMan02 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #66
Rockpit TX
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Looking

Mary- PM sent
Rockpit TX is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #67
Rockpit TX
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Looking

Bower- Thanks for sharing your great story. Seems you also have a gift of story telling because I sit here replying with Goosebumps. God Bless ya
Rockpit TX is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #68
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

From Bownanza VI

Name:  john lee (Medium).jpg
Views: 982
Size:  105.2 KB

Michael is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #69
Joey~AP
Administrator

I posted this in another thread......but Im gonna post it here too.

Doc could tell some stories! This pic has Doc, 2 of my close huntin buddies and my son! I will look at it often!

Name:  lewis 7-4-7 037.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  68.5 KB

/l _ ,[____],
l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
()_)--()_)---o-)_)
Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #70
Matador
Ten Point

Great tribute Mark, I teared up a bit reading that...

Heck Joey thats a canopy of greatness right there, all Good People!! And I've only met 2 of them in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey~AP View Post
I posted this in another thread......but Im gonna post it here too.

Doc could tell some stories! This pic has Doc, 2 of my close huntin buddies and my son! I will look at it often!

Attachment 98072
Matador is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #71
ArrowHead
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills county
Default John "Tuthdoc" Lee

It was my pleasure to meet the man ,the legend this year at Bownanza.I will forever remember you sir!R.I.P. and Gods speed to the great spirit world of hunting grounds in heaven.
ArrowHead is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #72
Death from Above
Pope & Young

I can thank John for turning me onto this site. Probably 10+ years ago we both frequented eders.com forums. At the time it was the only hunting forum I knew about. Through our posts he turned me on over here and I aint looked back.....

Gonna miss your post John, but the company you keep now has us beat hands down.
Death from Above is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #73
psicoo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardeman County(Quanah, TX), Tom Green County(Eden, TX), Grenada & Fayetteville, MS., Russell, KS.

Just reading his posts, one could sense he was a wise, experienced, kind and thinking man.
Sincere condolences to the family.
I will miss his postings also.
psicoo is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #74
kkyle

I first met John when we were green country kids trying to make in the big city/big college (UT Dental School). For a few years we were best friends, we hunted, fished and our wives were great friends. He was at my first son's birth, I named my second son after him.
Through the years we grew apart, I am in agony now about that, but I want to tell you guys here...there was not a more honest, trustworthy friend in the world.
Stories? I can't even begin, it would take hours. Getting stuck in low tide in the mud at San Jacinto and trying to push the boat to get back from playing hooky, going duck hunting with fifty layers of cheap clothes to stay warm and falling in the water, chasing his trusty dog Boudreaux when he wouldn't come back from an impossible retrieve, Taylor Lake...catching a million fish on purple worms, bow hunting...being snuck out of the reserve in the back of my own truck under a mattress because I didn't know about the "new fangled" stamps, buying lures and telling our wives we owed each other for something or another, him ignoring a antelope that was right by the truck with me screaming "shoot this one, it's good" and finally waiting until it was 200 yds out before realizing I was right (then shooting it in the head with his trusty 25-06 and ruining the trophy), John's grandmother cooking busquits and eggs for a group of starving dental students.....it goes on and on.
One thing Mark might not even know, when John was in his first semester in dental school his country accent got him the nickname of "Gomer Pyle" by some of our more city compadres. Gomer Pyle indeed, he never said a word when he received a sizable monetary award for being one of the top five students accepted to our school...he never told anybody but me.
I sorry if I'm rambling, so many memories, so much regret not spending time with John these last few years. Mark, your brother was one of the few people on this earth I would classify as a true friend, we've lost a great man.
  Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #75
Legdog
Pope & Young

Welcome to the fire kkyle. Thanks for the color.

Was explaining to my 10 year old that we had a funeral to attend. When I told her it was "one of the really good guys who posted on texasbowhunter.com" she asked "Which one?"

I told her it was a guy they called "Tuthdoc" and she said, "Oh my, I know him, I have his name tag!"

My daughter reads this stuff sparingly at best but somehow, she remembered John after only meeting him in person one time at Bownanza. Her next line was, "Oh my goodness Daddy, we just saw him."

Name:  Tuthdoc tag.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  113.6 KB

Last edited by Legdog; 05-26-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Legdog is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #76
crittergitter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: rocksprings,dam-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legdog View Post
Welcome to the fire kkyle. Thanks for the color.

Was explaining to my 10 year old that we had a funeral to attend. When I told her it was "one of the really good guys who posted on texasbowhunter.com" she asked "Which one?"

I told her it was a guy they called "Tuthdoc" and she said, "Oh my, I know him, I have his name tag!"

My daughter reads this stuff sparingly at best but somehow, she remembered John after only meeting him in person one time at Bownanza. Her next line was, "Oh my goodness Daddy, we just saw him."

Attachment 98168
the peace sign under his name tag makes a cool picture
crittergitter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 PM   #77
Mailman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County
Default From Jim Boeker

John's brother-in-law, Jim Boeker, Uncle JB to me, asked me to post this for him...

I am the blondeís brother. Since Thursday when Brent (Blade to you guys) and I spoke hopefully to John as the medics put him in the helicopter for Lufkin I have spent many hours focusing on memories of John Dwight Lee, my beloved brother-in-law. The thoughts have come flooding back so chaotically that I began to gather them on paper so I could better arrange and understand them and get a handle on this healing process, since Johnís passing has really hit me hard. After seeing the outpouring of love and respect the TBH community has shown John, I decided to share these memories with you folks so you can have another perspective of Tuthdoc, and at the same time, help me deal with this grieving process.

I have known John for almost 40 years, two thirds of my life (OK almost 2/3), so you can understand why I am struggling with this so much. He is the little brother I never had. Bobby and Mark were still kids and I didnít get to know them until later, but I consider them my brothers too. I will be there any time they need me. They are quality people.

The first I knew of John was when I was in the Army overseas back in the day (67-69). My supply of cookies and cinnamon rolls my Mom used to send me regularly began to dry up. You see, my little sister Judy, the blonde, after culling a few others, started dating John. Little whippersnapper worked his way into Mamaís kitchen real quick like. He was so loved by the family he was served most of my goodies before they got mailed. When it was time for my return I think he was a little worried about his girlfriendís Army brother coming home in a surly mood. When I first met him, I thought he was a little too polite to be real, so it took a short while for me to believe in him, but that reluctance went away rapidly after that. The kid was a keeper. Anyway, he was relieved that I accepted him and his nervousness was soon put to rest. So there was room for his red 65 Mustang with black top in our driveway. Mama made us a bunch of goodies then that we shared. John ate dinner with us often and Daddy even convinced John to try sour cream on his baked potatoes. I think thatís the last new food he tried and liked. After all, the man ate only meat, corn, and potatoes his whole life. No wonder he had an affinity for throwing corn in feeders. A real bonafide meat and potatoes man he was. Oh, and fried catfish and crawfish. Of course, you all know what he drank. I should have bought shares of Pepsico. I saw John take one sip of one screwdriver and thatís the only time I have seen him put an adult beverage to his lips in all those years. Man had self control.

So John and I hit it off pretty good. Looking back, who could not hit it off with John? I introduced him to skeet shooting and because he is so competitive he got terribly frustrated when he did not beat me. Of course, he was handicapped with a 16 gauge and I was going with a 12. I knew he had a history of hunting, but we had to refine his shotgun skills. We went skeet shooting several times a week back then at Charlieís on South Main. One armed guy named Hook ran the place and loved it when we came in cause we were his cash cows. (You know how much John hated cows.) Anyway, olí Hook would just chew on his stinky olí unlit cigar stub and say ďusual?Ē Yep, only two rounds at first to conserve money, followed quickly by two more rounds to heck with the money because John wanted to beat me. I told him I donít mind him beating me, but he had to earn it cause Iím not gonna LET him beat me. Oh yeah, give us 25 pounds of 7 Ĺ shot, can of powder, and some wadding too, Hook. When you put cash on the table, olí Hook would put his stainless steel hand hook on the cash I guess to make sure we wouldnít pick it back up. John and I were not about to cross anyone with a hay hook for an arm anyway, so we just looked at each other and waited for change. We reloaded shells back then and that saved a bit, but we still spent more than we should have on shooting birds you canít eat. John later became an excellent wingshooter, and I like to think I had a small hand in that.

I remember our bird hunts at the farm when he was getting good with the scattergun. Once a lone goose flew toward us overhead way out of range. John asked if he could shoot it and I told him he could but heís wasting a shell. He hit that dang goose with one BB from his old 16 gauge and the darn snow almost hit us, landing right at our feet with a big ďpalumpĒ sound. It was then I knew this kid was coming along with his shotgun. Told him from then on he could shoot whatever he thought he could hit without wounding it. We both got so good at shooting quail that we could catch glimpses of quail flying below weed height through occasional openings in the weeds, sight swing through the weeds, estimate the right lead, and squeeze off at the next opening. The 7 Ĺ shot and quail would hit the opening at the same time. Feathers. One time John brought another dental student with him quail hunting while the birds were flying like that and after seeing John shoot, the guy just watched us and didnít shoot anymore. John and I just knowingly looked at each other, smiled, and without telling his friend why, moved to a different pasture for easier quail. Man was kind to others without them even knowing it.

We used to hide in the cattails of the cattle tanks waiting for ducks to come in late afternoon. We would stand waist deep amongst the cattails freezing our behinds off waiting for the one shot opportunity that ponds provide. We always got ducks. Usually two for each of us, one with wings cupped coming down, and one with wings frantically climbing skyward after our first shot. If they came to one tank early enough, we would hurry to the next tank and do the same thing, repeating until shooting time was over or limits complete. Man was a trooper and I began to see he had staying power.

John showed me how to catch my first bass on Taylor Lake in east Texas. I was raised on saltwater fishing using shrimp as bait and there he was catching fish on weird looking contraptions called spinner baits. I laughed and asked him what the heck are we gonna catch on that? Told me they were H&Hs and just cast and crank. Worked. Every little 2 pound bass I caught John would enthusiastically say ďallll right!Ē followed by that patented laugh of his and made me feel like the best fisherman in the world. When I caught a six pounder you wouldíve thought he caught it he was so happy. Here was the young whippersnapper turning everything around and teaching me. Man was a natural born teacher. Every time I went fishing with John he wore me out. After about 2000 casts, I was ready to go. Not John. He wasnít leaving until darkness or storm drove us off the lake. Man had persistence. He got so good that he won several bass boats fishing pro. He was getting so far along on the pro bass circuit that he felt he had to choose between staying gone most of the year catching fish or staying home and fixing teeth, so he just came on home and fixed teeth. I think he was worried the blond may lose her patience. LOL Man had wisdom. He put all that focus and enthusiasm into hunting after that and you all know the results of that focus.

Those trips provide fond memories of John. It was just him and me back then at the farm. I had a little brother! After that first year back from the Army I moved to San Marcos to finish school. Judy and John were finishing school in Houston and forging their own life. John continued hunting and fishing and became a true expert in the outdoors, along with his brothers Bobby and Mark. I got focused on other things and my interest in hunting and fishing was replaced with career drive, fast cars, fast boats and airplanes. Our interests had naturally diverged. Not a bad thing, just happened. John would invite me to go hunting occasionally and I would, and I was amazed at Johnís passion and dedication to all things hunting. John didnít go hunting Ė he was a hunter. My passion was hunting business deals, his was hunting for game. I think he always tried to get my interest back to the outdoors, but I was too busy with other things. After I had sons John was itching to take them along to teach. My oldest son Travis worked hard at 3d shoots and always got trophies for his shooting. Most of the kids got a trophy, but Travis got them for winning. Kid could shoot. At age 7, he worked hard enough to get to 40# draw so he could bow hunt. John would brag about how the 10 and 12 year olds at the shoots could not even draw back his 7 year old nephewís bow. He was proud. After only a couple trips to the ranch, for some reason Travis lost interest in hunting and didnít want to go anymore. John and I both missed him being there. A few years after that, John took Brent (Blade) under his wings when he got old enough. Brent loved going to the ranch with John. On Brentís first long ranch trip with John, the ďBladeĒ took a 6 point, a turkey, and a coon with his bow all on the same day, on the same hunt! When I showed up at the ranch, Brent ran to the truck to tell me all about it, and John was right behind him weaving the tale, laughing that special laugh, proud as a peacock. John was beside himself with joy. I know Brent felt that joy from John and internalized Johnís love of hunting. John finally got me to dust off his old Safari and get a place on the lease. As long as I had a son interested, that was fine with me. John was so concerned that I didnít get my fair share of game. But it didnít bother me. I just liked going to the ranch and being with John, Bobby, and Mark, all the other hunters and all the kids. I sleep like a baby at the ranch, and thatís what I needed.

So what is it that made this man special? The last few days I have thought about that and came up with a few opinions, so here goes. John was RESPONSIBLE. I think he got that from taking his younger siblings under his wing at an early age. He felt responsible for them then, and does to this day. By extension, he feels responsible for everyone in his sphere. John was INTELLIGENT. Over my life, I have been around Army generals, famous heart surgeons designing heart pumps, and rocket engineers designing Liquid Oxygen valves for the space shuttle. John was smarter than all of them. How do I know that? John was smart enough that he did not have to advertise it to you. The other people I mentioned did. John KNEW WHO HE WAS. His life was brilliant in itís simplicity. How many of you knew at a very early age EXACTLY what career you wanted and attained it? John did. He never needed the crutches of alcohol, tobacco, or profanity to search his way through life. I think Iíve heard a few ďcrapsĒ out of him, but around me at least, he never cussed. John was LOYAL to those in his sphere. One could depend on John. Even though there would sometimes be long times between our visits, we both knew we could depend on the other without even saying it.

Did John have flaws? Of course he did. He couldíve not been so hard headed and go to the dang doctor for regular check-ups. Are you doing that by the way? Iím planning on it now. Was he a saint? No, but who cares? He was such a great guy to be around and made everyone feel special with that positive energy of his.

Why would God take such a fine man so early in life? I think God has made John a marker for all of us. Would we all be internalizing and feeling the pain of Johnís loss if he was a drunken, cussing, poacher? I donít think so. Instead, this man has a revered status to all of us because of the way he lived his life. We can see first hand that a good life CAN be lived, and all those touched by that good life benefit. Gives us hope for our own future.

Thank you all for letting me be so long-winded. I filled a two litre bottle of Pepsi with tears, but it sure has helped me get on down the road. Good luck to all of you.

God Speed, John Dwight Lee. I love you.

Jim
Mailman is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #78
Rsatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bowie, Lasalle County.

Great Post, Jim, as I set here with tears again.

Thank You, Sir.
Rsatt is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #79
Mary
Administrator

Very, very nice Jim....
Thank you!
Mary is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #80
KingsX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion ,Tom green co.

Simply incredible Jim........thanks for sharing this with us! John will be missed here for sure!
KingsX is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #81
happy bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: mason county

Awesome Jim thanks
happy bowhunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 PM   #82
GregE

When the Edersbow site reorganized in '98 Tuthdoc was one of the individuals recommended to be a site moderator. His well written and t h o r o u g h posts were appreciated by all and his calm manner quickly settled the few hot head know-it-alls that seem to plague most Internet sites.

We had quite a core group back then and enjoyed making up 'serial hunting trip storys' that each poster would try to meld in with the previous ones. Tuthdoc quickly became called TD ( or the scum sucking dentist) and was a central figure to The Great Jackalope Hunt and other epic sagas. He drove a 'CaddyRover' and was counted on to bring many members like DFA from the southern regions.

John was a busy man and posted less and less as his involvment at TBH grew which was a loss felt by the Eder site group. We will miss him along with all of you.

The link is to a thread that parallels some thoughts expressed here.

http://forums.eders.com/viewtopic.ph...2871b814aa5ad1

Farewell TD.

Greg Eastman
  Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #83
BaylorCoBowhunter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Seymour/Baylor County

Thanks Jim.
BaylorCoBowhunter is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #84
WoJo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle County

I never met TD in person but I did exchange post and PMs with him.

Back when I was just getting started with TBH he posted a Double Bull blind he spotted on ebay. Yes, he did find deals on DBs. He only took the best deals but he did point others towards the ones he did not want. I was not in the market for one at the time but it was a good deal so I started bidding on it. Well, I won the auction. Of course I gave more for it than he would have but it was a deal for me.

On the post I wrote, "Dang it, I got it!!". He PMed me to say I hope I did not cause a problem. I responded to let him know that it was a deal for me but I was really not looking to buy one at the time. It has been a great blind for me and I do not regret getting it at all. We have all enjoyed TDs rants about DB blinds and their high price but he did know quality at the right price.

TD was a great man and always dealt with people square, even those he did not know personally. I wish I had known him better.

Prayers for his family.
WoJo is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #85
Archery1st
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County, Tx / Lampasas County, Tx / Union County, NM
Default Thanks Jim!

Outstanding tribute Jim!
Archery1st is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #86
tpowell

I did not have the chance to know John near as long as I wish I could've but the time that I did know him he made a huge impact on me and my wife. He was one of the smartest people I have or I am sure will ever know when it came to pretty much anything outdoors. And what stood out to me with John was no-matter how dumb the question was he would always take the time to explain how and what he would do if in that same position. He earned a lot of respect from me very quickly due to the way he never talked down to even the newest hunter and always had time to share a story.

When I was offered the opportunity to start hunting in SanAngelo I knew that there was a lot of knowledge that I would pickup from the Lee boys but had no idea how much fun it would be also. John didnít let too many chances go by without telling a story or making you laugh at yourself for something that he was sure to point out. I just always liked it when Matt was around because John really gave him a hard time but you always knew that there was a special relationship there and Matt would just shake it off and laugh like us all.

A few months ago I started going to the Junco with Mark, John, and ,Bobby and the first thing that I told Mark was how does a person throw feed as well as he does and never slow down and Mark told me "You should've seen him five years ago" he was far from lazy and could work circles around me anyday. But one thing that keeps coming to mind is one trip back to the Lowboy to fill the rangers back up he sat there in his ranger and as always found my cigarettes and was giving me a hard time about smoking and he said to me with a grin of course "I am going to save half your life" then he slowly started pulling them out one by one breaking them in half and sticking one half back in the package. After I made it to his ranger and got them from him he said "Hey you should be thanking me".

There are a lot more stories that Matt does an amazing job of telling and hopefully he can tall each and everyone of you but this was just one time that I kept thinking about.

Tuthdoc will be missed by a lot of people that knew him and a lot more by the people that didn't have the honor of meeting him and absorbing some of his wealth of knowledge.RIP

To all the family if there is anything that I can do to help through these difficult times please let me know................Tommy

Matt, Mark and Bobby both have my number.
  Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #87
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Great stories from a great family. Reading this helps me understand the man and how he gained so much respect from all of us and all of you.

On a side note, I am honored by the pics below. I designed that t-shirt for LSBA when we had our "Team 1000" membership drive. I don't remember everyone who helped push us over our goal but obviosly, John helped with his membership.

Name:  Tuthdoc3.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  tuthdoc4.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  47.2 KB
Fishndude is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #88
Ricky T
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity Riverbottom

Quite a tribute, Jim. Those character traits you describe in John bled through this impersonal message board. Sorry for your loss but thanks for the insight.
Ricky T is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #89
Bower
Spike

Smile Lee brothers

Bobby and I talked after the we watch John pass to a better place, we talked about how now their are only 2 Lee brothers left But after reading in here for hours on end I see that I truely have Thousands of Brothers . You guys and Gals have no idea how this has helped me thru this very hard time in my life...My words can never repay you . Welcome brothers all of you.....Mark Lee brother # 3
Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #90
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

These stories are priceless, can't wait to see this thread in the archives where I can read it whenever I want.

I envy you guys who knew John for as long as you did, I'm glad I knew him for the short time that I did.

Sunday night I dug out a "Tuthdoc" name tag, that I think I grabbed from Blaine thinking it was mine that she'd pilfered from me at Nanza this year. He must have brought it from last year, as it has the Pepsi Nanza logo on the back ('08). If Matt, or any of the family would like it, send my your address and it's yours! If not, it will ride in the truck with me from now on.

Thank you again for your stories.
Dale Moser is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #91
Mailman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County
Default First Good Buck

First Good Buck

November 2004, and this is my favorite hunt of all-time. I had not killed a deer with my bow in 2 or 3 seasons and I was having terrible luck. I shot over a deer or two, and I had shot under a deer or 2.

John told me in his own subtle way that maybe I should start coming to some 3D shoots with him. Which actually meant, maybe if you practiced a little more you might hit one!!! So the summer before that season I shot every 3D shoot with John & Mark. We even travelled to Jasper and shot in a shoot. My confidence was pretty high.

John filmed a 9 pointer the last weekend of October that he told me he probably should have shot, he was 4.5 and probably scored in low 20's. He also told me that he really thought I would shoot that deer on sight, and I would probably be very proud to hang that buck on my wall.

John dropped me off at "The Palace" and told me the same words he told me before every hunt, "Drill One..." I got settled in my blind about 30 minutes before sun up. The feeder spun, and deer instantly poured in. I am guessing about 8:30 or so that 9 point wandered in. John was correct, I wanted him bad. I had a tree that was 15 yards out of my left shooting hole that I corned behind so the deer would eat and I could draw. When I got my first VE, Tyge (Fulldraw) coined that tree the "Kerrville Blindfold" which is what John and I called those types of trees from that day forward.

He settled behind that tree and started eating, and I drew my bow and steadied my pin. I released the arrow and smoked that hoss. I videoed the hunt and I replayed it about 100 times to confirm exactly where I hit him. Right behind the shoulder through 2 lungs.

I sat back in my chair, as hard as that was, and waited. About 30 seconds later it started raining, looking back on it now, it was no more than a drizzle, but I thought I would surely loose my blood-trail. I grabbed my video camera and started running down the road to John...

I cleared the first hill and the truck wasn't there. Where did he park it? I cleared the second hill and still no truck. What the heck was he thinking? I cleared the third hill, and there was the truck, just beyond the 4th hill. I could have murdered him. He parked down at the intersection of our 2 roads, which was way closer to his spot. I am sure he did that just to make sure I would have a good hunt, even though it greatly reduced his chance of a seeing a shooter. Again just another example of him wanting success for everyone else, that is all he ever thought about.

Well I drive up to his feeder just about 9, and he immediately knows I had shot something. John screamed, "Did you get him Matt?" I yelled back, "I drilled one Paw-In-Law!!!" He busted out of that blind and wanted to see that video, and he watched it one time and said, "Yep, Drill Job... He ain't going far!!!"

We went back to the area, and I started looking for sign, and my arrow, just like he had taught me. Well he decided to walk ahead and look for the deer, which he found. My buck had rounded the corner and went no more than 50 yards, he was dead in a bald open field. Meanwhile, I find my arrow, and the sign on the arrow looks good, but I find nothing where I shoot my buck except 2 little drops of blood.

So I drop to my hands and knees, again something he taught me. He then says, "Matt sometimes when you hit a deer good like you did on this guy, you need to come ahead and check the trail for bigger, better sign." The whole time I am thinking, he has never said that before, and that makes no sense to me. I stay on my hands and knees and continue looking for sign, I am still inching forward, not knowing John is looking at my buck.

He tells me again, "Matt sometimes you need to just forget what you know, and just check ahead for bigger, better sign!!!" I promptly tell him (because now I am getting upset with him), "John are you going to help me or not, because if you say no, I'll just find him on my own!!!" He then said, "Would you please just come here and look at this, I found some big sign!!!"

I walk to where John is standing, and I see my buck laying "dead as a door nail" in the middle of this field. He found him within 15 seconds of getting on the scene, but he strung me along for about 15 minutes. I didn't know whether to hug him or punch him in the mouth. He deserved both!!! LOL

Jubilation set in, and we hugged. I thanked him for dragging me along everywhere he went, for making me practice every day, and for being such a great Paw-In-Law. I found out that Sunday that Jennifer was pregnant, which meant he was going to be a Paw-Paw.

Definitely a life-changing weekend, and one I am going to cherish as long as I walk this earth. Best buck of my hunting career to that point, and finding out John and I were going to have a little hunting buddy, it doesn't get any better than that.
Mailman is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 PM   #92
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
John's brother-in-law, Jim Boeker, Uncle JB to me, asked me to post this for him...

I am the blondeís brother. Since Thursday when Brent (Blade to you guys) and I spoke hopefully to John as the medics put him in the helicopter for Lufkin I have spent many hours focusing on memories of John Dwight Lee, my beloved brother-in-law. The thoughts have come flooding back so chaotically that I began to gather them on paper so I could better arrange and understand them and get a handle on this healing process, since Johnís passing has really hit me hard. After seeing the outpouring of love and respect the TBH community has shown John, I decided to share these memories with you folks so you can have another perspective of Tuthdoc, and at the same time, help me deal with this grieving process.

I have known John for almost 40 years, two thirds of my life (OK almost 2/3), so you can understand why I am struggling with this so much. He is the little brother I never had. Bobby and Mark were still kids and I didnít get to know them until later, but I consider them my brothers too. I will be there any time they need me. They are quality people.

The first I knew of John was when I was in the Army overseas back in the day (67-69). My supply of cookies and cinnamon rolls my Mom used to send me regularly began to dry up. You see, my little sister Judy, the blonde, after culling a few others, started dating John. Little whippersnapper worked his way into Mamaís kitchen real quick like. He was so loved by the family he was served most of my goodies before they got mailed. When it was time for my return I think he was a little worried about his girlfriendís Army brother coming home in a surly mood. When I first met him, I thought he was a little too polite to be real, so it took a short while for me to believe in him, but that reluctance went away rapidly after that. The kid was a keeper. Anyway, he was relieved that I accepted him and his nervousness was soon put to rest. So there was room for his red 65 Mustang with black top in our driveway. Mama made us a bunch of goodies then that we shared. John ate dinner with us often and Daddy even convinced John to try sour cream on his baked potatoes. I think thatís the last new food he tried and liked. After all, the man ate only meat, corn, and potatoes his whole life. No wonder he had an affinity for throwing corn in feeders. A real bonafide meat and potatoes man he was. Oh, and fried catfish and crawfish. Of course, you all know what he drank. I should have bought shares of Pepsico. I saw John take one sip of one screwdriver and thatís the only time I have seen him put an adult beverage to his lips in all those years. Man had self control.

So John and I hit it off pretty good. Looking back, who could not hit it off with John? I introduced him to skeet shooting and because he is so competitive he got terribly frustrated when he did not beat me. Of course, he was handicapped with a 16 gauge and I was going with a 12. I knew he had a history of hunting, but we had to refine his shotgun skills. We went skeet shooting several times a week back then at Charlieís on South Main. One armed guy named Hook ran the place and loved it when we came in cause we were his cash cows. (You know how much John hated cows.) Anyway, olí Hook would just chew on his stinky olí unlit cigar stub and say ďusual?Ē Yep, only two rounds at first to conserve money, followed quickly by two more rounds to heck with the money because John wanted to beat me. I told him I donít mind him beating me, but he had to earn it cause Iím not gonna LET him beat me. Oh yeah, give us 25 pounds of 7 Ĺ shot, can of powder, and some wadding too, Hook. When you put cash on the table, olí Hook would put his stainless steel hand hook on the cash I guess to make sure we wouldnít pick it back up. John and I were not about to cross anyone with a hay hook for an arm anyway, so we just looked at each other and waited for change. We reloaded shells back then and that saved a bit, but we still spent more than we should have on shooting birds you canít eat. John later became an excellent wingshooter, and I like to think I had a small hand in that.

I remember our bird hunts at the farm when he was getting good with the scattergun. Once a lone goose flew toward us overhead way out of range. John asked if he could shoot it and I told him he could but heís wasting a shell. He hit that dang goose with one BB from his old 16 gauge and the darn snow almost hit us, landing right at our feet with a big ďpalumpĒ sound. It was then I knew this kid was coming along with his shotgun. Told him from then on he could shoot whatever he thought he could hit without wounding it. We both got so good at shooting quail that we could catch glimpses of quail flying below weed height through occasional openings in the weeds, sight swing through the weeds, estimate the right lead, and squeeze off at the next opening. The 7 Ĺ shot and quail would hit the opening at the same time. Feathers. One time John brought another dental student with him quail hunting while the birds were flying like that and after seeing John shoot, the guy just watched us and didnít shoot anymore. John and I just knowingly looked at each other, smiled, and without telling his friend why, moved to a different pasture for easier quail. Man was kind to others without them even knowing it.

We used to hide in the cattails of the cattle tanks waiting for ducks to come in late afternoon. We would stand waist deep amongst the cattails freezing our behinds off waiting for the one shot opportunity that ponds provide. We always got ducks. Usually two for each of us, one with wings cupped coming down, and one with wings frantically climbing skyward after our first shot. If they came to one tank early enough, we would hurry to the next tank and do the same thing, repeating until shooting time was over or limits complete. Man was a trooper and I began to see he had staying power.

John showed me how to catch my first bass on Taylor Lake in east Texas. I was raised on saltwater fishing using shrimp as bait and there he was catching fish on weird looking contraptions called spinner baits. I laughed and asked him what the heck are we gonna catch on that? Told me they were H&Hs and just cast and crank. Worked. Every little 2 pound bass I caught John would enthusiastically say ďallll right!Ē followed by that patented laugh of his and made me feel like the best fisherman in the world. When I caught a six pounder you wouldíve thought he caught it he was so happy. Here was the young whippersnapper turning everything around and teaching me. Man was a natural born teacher. Every time I went fishing with John he wore me out. After about 2000 casts, I was ready to go. Not John. He wasnít leaving until darkness or storm drove us off the lake. Man had persistence. He got so good that he won several bass boats fishing pro. He was getting so far along on the pro bass circuit that he felt he had to choose between staying gone most of the year catching fish or staying home and fixing teeth, so he just came on home and fixed teeth. I think he was worried the blond may lose her patience. LOL Man had wisdom. He put all that focus and enthusiasm into hunting after that and you all know the results of that focus.

Those trips provide fond memories of John. It was just him and me back then at the farm. I had a little brother! After that first year back from the Army I moved to San Marcos to finish school. Judy and John were finishing school in Houston and forging their own life. John continued hunting and fishing and became a true expert in the outdoors, along with his brothers Bobby and Mark. I got focused on other things and my interest in hunting and fishing was replaced with career drive, fast cars, fast boats and airplanes. Our interests had naturally diverged. Not a bad thing, just happened. John would invite me to go hunting occasionally and I would, and I was amazed at Johnís passion and dedication to all things hunting. John didnít go hunting Ė he was a hunter. My passion was hunting business deals, his was hunting for game. I think he always tried to get my interest back to the outdoors, but I was too busy with other things. After I had sons John was itching to take them along to teach. My oldest son Travis worked hard at 3d shoots and always got trophies for his shooting. Most of the kids got a trophy, but Travis got them for winning. Kid could shoot. At age 7, he worked hard enough to get to 40# draw so he could bow hunt. John would brag about how the 10 and 12 year olds at the shoots could not even draw back his 7 year old nephewís bow. He was proud. After only a couple trips to the ranch, for some reason Travis lost interest in hunting and didnít want to go anymore. John and I both missed him being there. A few years after that, John took Brent (Blade) under his wings when he got old enough. Brent loved going to the ranch with John. On Brentís first long ranch trip with John, the ďBladeĒ took a 6 point, a turkey, and a coon with his bow all on the same day, on the same hunt! When I showed up at the ranch, Brent ran to the truck to tell me all about it, and John was right behind him weaving the tale, laughing that special laugh, proud as a peacock. John was beside himself with joy. I know Brent felt that joy from John and internalized Johnís love of hunting. John finally got me to dust off his old Safari and get a place on the lease. As long as I had a son interested, that was fine with me. John was so concerned that I didnít get my fair share of game. But it didnít bother me. I just liked going to the ranch and being with John, Bobby, and Mark, all the other hunters and all the kids. I sleep like a baby at the ranch, and thatís what I needed.

So what is it that made this man special? The last few days I have thought about that and came up with a few opinions, so here goes. John was RESPONSIBLE. I think he got that from taking his younger siblings under his wing at an early age. He felt responsible for them then, and does to this day. By extension, he feels responsible for everyone in his sphere. John was INTELLIGENT. Over my life, I have been around Army generals, famous heart surgeons designing heart pumps, and rocket engineers designing Liquid Oxygen valves for the space shuttle. John was smarter than all of them. How do I know that? John was smart enough that he did not have to advertise it to you. The other people I mentioned did. John KNEW WHO HE WAS. His life was brilliant in itís simplicity. How many of you knew at a very early age EXACTLY what career you wanted and attained it? John did. He never needed the crutches of alcohol, tobacco, or profanity to search his way through life. I think Iíve heard a few ďcrapsĒ out of him, but around me at least, he never cussed. John was LOYAL to those in his sphere. One could depend on John. Even though there would sometimes be long times between our visits, we both knew we could depend on the other without even saying it.

Did John have flaws? Of course he did. He couldíve not been so hard headed and go to the dang doctor for regular check-ups. Are you doing that by the way? Iím planning on it now. Was he a saint? No, but who cares? He was such a great guy to be around and made everyone feel special with that positive energy of his.

Why would God take such a fine man so early in life? I think God has made John a marker for all of us. Would we all be internalizing and feeling the pain of Johnís loss if he was a drunken, cussing, poacher? I donít think so. Instead, this man has a revered status to all of us because of the way he lived his life. We can see first hand that a good life CAN be lived, and all those touched by that good life benefit. Gives us hope for our own future.

Thank you all for letting me be so long-winded. I filled a two litre bottle of Pepsi with tears, but it sure has helped me get on down the road. Good luck to all of you.

God Speed, John Dwight Lee. I love you.

Jim

What an absolutely wonderful post.....great words for a great man.

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

GARY is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #93
huntinag96
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton Co./Henderson Co./Navarro Co.

Awesome stories and great memories gentlemen. Keep em coming.
huntinag96 is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #94
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
. If Matt, or any of the family would like it, send my your address and it's yours! If not, it will ride in the truck with me from now on.

Awesome gesture, Dale!!
Fishndude is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #95
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

Thanks for sharing you thoughts, Jim. Wonderful tribute.

Mark, this is helping us too. Thanks to the Lee family for sharing their stories of John, with us.
Jamesl is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #96
Michael
Administrator

Kyle, Jim, Tommy, Bobby and Matt, thank you so much for sharing those stories with us. We have come to know John over the last ten years of his life through his posts and tales that he's shared with us, but it's great to see family and life-long friends offer their perspective, and reinforce what we already know...John was a great man that truly impacted the lives of those he touched. Thank you for taking the time to post here. As Mark stated, we are a brotherhood here, and any friend or family of John's is family to us. Jim, I remember Blade's hunt and introduction to the site well! John was so proud!

GregE, thank you for posting and sharing the link. Eders was formed somewhere around the same time as TexasBowhunter.com, and I spent quite a bit of time observing and participating in discussions there back in the early years. Tuthdoc was one of the contributors there that I truly admired and respected. You were another. You mentioned that "his calm manner quickly settled the few hot head know-it-alls that seem to plague most Internet sites", and that is so very true. As I recall, you seemed to possess that trait as well, and it's one that I have attempted to emulate in an effort to differentiate this site from the others. Thank you for taking the time to honor Tuthdoc with your post.

Michael

Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #97
Michael
Administrator

Quote:
These stories are priceless, can't wait to see this thread in the archives where I can read it whenever I want.

I envy you guys who knew John for as long as you did, I'm glad I knew him for the short time that I did.

Sunday night I dug out a "Tuthdoc" name tag, that I think I grabbed from Blaine thinking it was mine that she'd pilfered from me at Nanza this year. He must have brought it from last year, as it has the Pepsi Nanza logo on the back ('08). If Matt, or any of the family would like it, send my your address and it's yours! If not, it will ride in the truck with me from now on.

Thank you again for your stories.
The Bownanza VI logo, with the Pepsi Logo design, suddenly holds a more special meaning.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #98
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Wow! What great tributes by family and friends. I am truly sorry that I was unable to get to know tuthdoc as a person, but I, as well as others on this great website, "knew" him as a brother...and a wonderful brother at that!

It is a continuing sad saga that we rarely think to tell our loved ones how much they mean to us...until they're gone.

John Lee, you lived your life the way we all wish we could.
Burnadell is offline   Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #99
Bower
Spike

Thumbs up Name tag

Dale I know John would want you to keep it. I hope it brings you luck let it ride with you brother , let it ride
Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #100
low_tec
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas County

This is a great thread, please keep the stories about John coming
low_tec is offline   Back To The Top