Bad Phone Call This Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Phone Call This Morning

Just got a call from our landowner a bit ago that half of the property that we are leasing from him in Zapata that is owned by his brother is no longer going to be available to us for lease. Kind of disheartening and frustrating to say the least. That leaves us with 400 acres and who knows what will be going on beside us! Kind of torn between staying on the place and trying to get through it or just calling it off and finding a new place down there somewhere!

Originally posted by TXHunter1089 View Post
    Just got a call from our landowner a bit ago that half of the property that we are leasing from him in Zapata that is owned by his brother is no longer going to be available to us for lease. Kind of disheartening and frustrating to say the least. That leaves us with 400 acres and who knows what will be going on beside us! Kind of torn between staying on the place and trying to get through it or just calling it off and finding a new place down there somewhere!
    I'd just stay on this year and do some hard looking for next year

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm sure many here would be happy with the 400. Lol... I know it's upsetting but at least you still have a place to go!

Comment

I think it honestly depends on how many people are currently hunting with you. 400 acres isn't a lot but if you only have 2 or 3 hunters you will be fine. id stay on personally.

Comment

In the same boat. I'll be extremely busy next month rigging down hunting/camp equipment from our lease. Stupid wind mills.

Comment

We owned 100 in falcon so I can tell u first hand that 400 u have will hunt like 800 and it holds alot of critters

Comment

Well one of the bad sides of it is we have to cut 2 members. Just kind of put us in a tough spot. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining because I'm grateful for the opportunity to be able to hunt there again because I really liked the place but considering the situation id almost rather load our group up and find somewhere close by to go rather than cut 2 guys and go about our merry way. If that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHunter1089 View Post
                Well one of the bad sides of it is we have to cut 2 members. Just kind of put us in a tough spot. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining because I'm grateful for the opportunity to be able to hunt there again because I really liked the place but considering the situation id almost rather load our group up and find somewhere close by to go rather than cut 2 guys and go about our merry way. If that makes sense.
                Find another place first, then tell him.

Comment

[QUOTE=dustinhanna;13165551]Find another place first, then tell him.[/QUOTE

That's kind of what I'm thinking also, just don't have much time because the first payment is due in march!

Comment

Why do you need to cut two guys?

Lease availability is in the tank these days. No way I would give up a lease without another lined up. If the number of hunters will be too high for the acreage, make your blinds community this year and alternate weekends that folks can hunt.

Comment

You can always draw straws or play Rock Paper Scissors if that helps.
                      All joking aside that is what I always hated about leases ,never know what the future holds.
                      That is why I decided to buy some land. It’s not a big place, but no one can give me the boot.

Comment

How many are currently on the place?

If keeping the group together is important and that's very understandable then you guys need to sit down together and talk if over. I'd say start looking hard and if you can't locate something by the deadline then pay your money and stay on the place but continue looking for next year.

You guys need to work out budget and location of a new place as well as how you'll hunt the new acreage if you don't find another place.

One thing to keep in mind is looking for a small place nearby. You can sometimes find small places with no camp or elec then all camp from the same spot.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                          Why do you need to cut two guys?

Lease availability is in the tank these days. No way I would give up a lease without another lined up. If the number of hunters will be too high for the acreage, make your blinds community this year and alternate weekends that folks can hunt.
                          Land is owned by brothers, each own 400 acres and allow 2 hunters per 400. Cut that in half and we can only bring 2 guns in. Plus were all friends and like to take the trips together for our kiddos and wives and all that.

Comment

I am sorry, but nothing is forever. Leasing a ranch is a great way to enjoy a lot of outdoor
                            Experiences with none of the taxes, road and fence maintenance, etc
                            I suggest the longest term lease you can negotiate and be prepared to leave at that time.
                            I have seen the worst lessors and the very best. In my 50 years of leading.
                            FWIW. I own deer country but also lease causes I can hunt a bigger property there with my good friends.
                            Good luck

CC

Comment

We shall see, I'm looking forward to what the future may hold for us!

Comment

Working...
                              X