What's your management plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elgato View Post
    Culling to change the genetic composition of a herd is impossible?
    I don’t think it’s the “culling” part that’s impossible. Maybe the control over the influx of outside deer.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      What is the culling myth ?
      That it actually works.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        That it actually works.
        Can you define "works" ?

Comment

IMO culling only works under the most intense management circumstances with the criteria of a) better be high fenced or b) large LF acreage ( several thousand acres) , c) and culling the right deer at the right age.

Comment

Can you define "works" ?
            Any time I am talking management, I am referring to wild free ranging whitetails. Not penned deer.

Works, worked, work- accomplished or finished

Culling is a lame excuse to shoot a buck to get around self imposed limitations. It does not accomplish anything as far as quality of the deer herd, to many variables. Besides, all whitetails have enough good genetics, that if you feed them and let them grow they will fulfill their potential.

Comment

Any time I am talking management, I am referring to wild free ranging whitetails. Not penned deer.

Culling is a lame excuse to shoot a buck to get around self imposed limitations. It does not accomplish anything as far as quality of the deer herd, to many variables. Besides, all whitetails have enough good genetics, that if you feed them and let them grow they will fulfill their potential.
              Why do you want to let a scrub be the best scrub he can be?

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

A "scrub" one year does not mean he will be a "scrub" the next.

Comment

For us culling is taking the deer you don't wanna feed or let breed, it helps try and control the population some and help the better bucks become the more dominant of the area. We are well aware that we will never be able to truly control our population or remove the 8 point genetic, but we can help try and dictate the numbers some and help which genetics will be passed on to an extent.

And yes I believe every buck can reach his full potential, but that 6.5 130" 8 points potential might just be a 145" 9 at his best, and isn't why we why or why we want to be feeding when we also have a 170" 6.5 11 at the same spot, you take the risk that the 11 has more potential than the 8 and take the 8 out and allow the 11 to spread his genes and have more access to feed now that the feed pen bully is dead. That's "culling" to me and our program

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                    A "scrub" one year does not mean he will be a "scrub" the next.
                    Generally when one implies successful culling, there is an understanding that the hunter has intimate knowledge of their herd. In this case, Encinal is implying that after knowingly following a buck for 3-4 years and seeing that he is genetically inferior to his peers in antler development, it only make sense for that to be one of the mouths to remove from the herd.

Blindly shooting deer with no history is not smart, nor would it be something any quality manager would advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                      You are assuming he will always be like that. I understand the "removing a mouth" concept, but if that's all it is, take a doe and let that buck live...you really have no idea how he will turn out.

I mean whats wrong with a 140 class 8? Personally, I would love to shoot one

Knowing your deer herd, how does "Cruiser" or One time bucks figure into that? Every year we get bucks coming through that none of have seen, how do they figure into the whole scheme?
                      Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-28-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

You are assuming he will always be like that. I understand the "removing a mouth" concept, but if that's all it is, take a doe and let that buck live...you really have no idea how he will turn out.

Knowing your deer herd, how does "Cruiser" or One time bucks figure into that? Every year we get bucks coming through that none of have seen, how do they figure into the whole scheme?

Does serve a different purpose in your deer herd than bucks, that’s why. And yes I do have an idea how he will turn out.

What makes you think a deer I call a scrub is ever going to get to 120?

Cruisers can be patterned too. Lots of times they cruise the same way at the same time once they get to a certain age.

Comment

You live in the land of exceptions and not the rule. Sure a junky 6 pt at three year old “may” reach 125” at seven but I don’t know a serious ranch on the planet that want to feed/house bucks 7 years to shoot 120s. Sorry to break it to you but genetics play a role in all living organisms. Even if the junkiest buck on the ranch only breeds 2-3 Doe a year count up the multiples of times he has spread those genetics but age 6 or 7. You can keep the junky stuff till maturity all you want...ranches focused on the top end surely won’t.

Comment

I have a serious choke point at 4-5. Know thy herd.

Comment

You live in the land of exceptions and not the rule. Sure a junky 6 pt at three year old “may” reach 125” at seven but I don’t know a serious ranch on the planet that want to feed/house bucks 7 years to shoot 120s. Sorry to break it to you but genetics play a role in all living organisms. Even if the junkiest buck on the ranch only breeds 2-3 Doe a year count up the multiples of times he has spread those genetics but age 6 or 7. You can keep the junky stuff till maturity all you want...ranches focused on the top end surely won’t.

That comes into play with how much Land you have or the size of the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                                That comes into play with how much Land you have or the size of the fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                I have no idea what you just posted, as your avatar distracted me

Comment

Working...
                                X