Not "just another game hoist" thread - The ULTIMATE GAME HOIST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not "just another game hoist" thread - The ULTIMATE GAME HOIST

Finally got around to working on my game hoist. I picked up the basic frame in the classifieds.

I had a few objectives while putting this together:
    1. Brains over brawn. Work smarter with the tools available.
    2. Make it transportable and accessible in my Jeep.

As you can see, I have cut this frame into 3 sections, with a pin to hold these together. I actually had a tube turned down to create a snug fit inside the square tube. Additionally, round tube was used so the top section can rotate to lower animals into the back of the Jeep. The 3 sections breaks the frame it into a manageable size so it can be stored inside the Jeep (the height is short enough that the soft top can be used if I ever take it out of the box).

A single ring has been attached to the frame for mounting the snatch block from the winch for raising and lower game.

I purchased a double receiver from Harbor Freight (I think it cost $40) to mount the winch and hoist in the receive hitch. I think the 10,000lb hitch should get the job done.

To attach the frame to the Jeep, I simply put 2 bolts in the wheel wells. There is a nut holding the bolt in place, and a wing nut with a washer is used to hold the middle section. The top and bottom sections are then strapped to this fixed piece. * After I took these pictures, I tried using a bungie cord which I think will keep the pieces tighter while also quicker to remove.

Oh yea, a coat of rattle can flat black finished it up nicely!
    Attached Files

Looks great and like it will get the job done.

Comment

looks awesome man, good job

Comment

Very cool! I'm gonna build me one of these. You have any more pictures as to how it connects together?

Comment

Mountain Man - Sorry, these are the only pictures I have taken of it, but I may be able to explain how it goes together a little better.

After cutting into 3 sections, the middle section remains pretty much untouched. I filed down the seam on the inside of the tube on the ends where the cuts were made so I woul have a smooth surface for the tube insert. I also drilled holes for mounting to the Jeep on the ends of the middle section.

On the other 2 sections, where they were attached to the center section, a piece of pipe (12"ish for each insert) is inserted to assemble the 3 peices together. The pipe was turned down for a sung fit (otherwise this will be a weak point, and also allow the frame to not be straight when applying weight). You can see this pipe sticking out in the second and third pictures on the left side. It is then held in place with a bolt.

For assembly, after putting the winch in place you put the bottom section in place, followed by running the cable in the snatch block and attaching to the top piece. Slide the top piece into the middle and then lift the middle piece onto the bottom. (Or I guess you can assemble all 3 pieces on the ground then place it into the double receiver hitch.)

Does that help?

Comment

Thanks Jeff, you're need to modify a frame like this

Comment

very nice

Comment

Nice! I need to get around to making one before next season...

Comment

Heavy duty. NICE!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill's Unlimited View Post
                    Mountain Man - Sorry, these are the only pictures I have taken of it, but I may be able to explain how it goes together a little better.

After cutting into 3 sections, the middle section remains pretty much untouched. I filed down the seam on the inside of the tube on the ends where the cuts were made so I woul have a smooth surface for the tube insert. I also drilled holes for mounting to the Jeep on the ends of the middle section.

On the other 2 sections, where they were attached to the center section, a piece of pipe (12"ish for each insert) is inserted to assemble the 3 peices together. The pipe was turned down for a sung fit (otherwise this will be a weak point, and also allow the frame to not be straight when applying weight). You can see this pipe sticking out in the second and third pictures on the left side. It is then held in place with a bolt.

For assembly, after putting the winch in place you put the bottom section in place, followed by running the cable in the snatch block and attaching to the top piece. Slide the top piece into the middle and then lift the middle piece onto the bottom. (Or I guess you can assemble all 3 pieces on the ground then place it into the double receiver hitch.)

Does that help?
                    Helps alot! So do you have anything holding the two pieces together or are they just a snug fit on the round pipe?

Comment

Nothing but gravity and downward pressure holding it together. That is also why the pipe has some length to it.

I have thought about maybe a couple set pins to hold it together and reduce spin it not needed. But I figured I would try it before adding unnecessary accessories, or should I say further over engineering....

Comment

what's the most weight you plan on putting on it? With it being extended out so far it might bend while your skinnin something and that could hurt the old noggin. With that said it looks good, I like things that make life easy

Comment

BT - the entire rack is made from receiver hitch stock, it it bends I must be trying to lift elephants. Look at the thickness os the tube in the third picture.

Comment

Can't be the ULTIMATE ... doesn't say anything about Momma, or Trains, or Trucks, or Prison, or Gettin drunk. Oh wait, Game Hoist! My apologies! Great build!

Comment

Originally posted by ElWhompo View Post
                              Can't be the ULTIMATE ... doesn't say anything about Momma, or Trains, or Trucks, or Prison, or Gettin drunk. Oh wait, Game Hoist! My apologies! Great build!
                              That would be the PERFECT game hoist!

Comment

Working...
                              X