Snakeskin tanning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snakeskin tanning

Decided to finally tan the rattlesnake my brothers and I got in Karnes county. After reading a bit on here about how to do it, I saw that antifreeze was a good option. I spent about an hour yesterday scraping as much of the membrane and meat off as I could, then put in a bucket with antifreeze. I put that bucket in a cooler with ice around it to help keep it cool. Gonna give it a couple weeks or so, stirring once or twice a day. I'll get pics of the before, the setup, and the finished skin.

tagged

Comment

Here is the skin after scraping and cleaning. All I did was split down the middle and pull the skin off. I don't know if it was because it was frozen for so long, but the skin peeled off extremely easily except for the tail, which ripped completely off. Kinda upset, but I still have the rattle. I used a 5 gal bucket to wash the excess dirt and such off before putting antifreeze over it. I used the yellow antifreeze concentrate, not the 50/50 mix.
      Last edited by popup_menace; 04-10-2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I rolled mine up and put in a big jar of antifreeze and let it sit for a few months, it turned out really nice.

Comment

I did mine in glycol and alcohol mixed 50/50 and it was done in 3 days.

Comment

Working...
          X