Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 05-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #1
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default Bee County Co-Op Deer Pellets 20% vs. Double Down Deer Feed - Side by Side experiment

Double Down and Bee County Co-Op are the two highest TDN% rated feeds on our list available in Texas. I was contacted by someone with Bee County Co-Op and asked if I would be interested in doing a side-by-side comparison of the two. I have a protein feeder in Terrell County that stays full year round and that I feed Lyssey & Eckel in. I decided to keep this test extremely simple. I bought 8 bags of L&E, 8 bags of Double Down, and was given 8 bags of Bee County 20%. My feeder has 3 downspouts equally spaced on the bottom so I filled the feeder alternating bags of fed so all 3 would be equally mixed. In front of the feeder near the game camera I poured half a bag of Double Down and a few feet away I poured half a bag of Bee County 20. Camera is set on both piles and feeder is visible in the background. We shall see what happens.
Initial inspections shows that Bee County has larger pellets with less dust in the bag. Double Downís pellets are smaller and have a stronger scent. This test may not prove anything to anyone, but Iím curious as to what the outcome will be. Two quality feeds side by side.

Will know in 70 days when I return to refill feeder and pull cards.

I have an almost equal amount of muledeer and whitetail that utilize this feeder and feed pen.

Double Down on the right and Bee County on the left.

TDN%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
dc1986
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico

You should clean that up unless you want some ridiculously large ants attacking people.
dc1986 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

Very curious to see what they do but I’m confused. You mixed all three proteins? Or do the three downspouts each have a separate chamber?
lanceodom is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
Herbie
Four Point

Hunt In: TX, NY

I use whole cotton seed. No smell. Hogs don’t like it. More protein than most commercial products.
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Shackelford Co, Parker Co, Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1986 View Post
You should clean that up unless you want some ridiculously large ants attacking people.

Lol

walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #6
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceodom View Post
Very curious to see what they do but Iím confused. You mixed all three proteins? Or do the three downspouts each have a separate chamber?

I was originally asked to put up two feeders side by side, but that isnít possible. The area is VERY remote and itís a miracle I have one feeder there. I mixed the feeds so the deer eating from the feeder will get the taste and smell of all three together... then see if they hit one pile more than the other. May work and may not....we shall see in 10 weeks.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #7
TXBRASS
Ten Point

I have to say that I was very impressed with the quality of the pellet from Bee Co Co-Op and the lack of ďdustĒ or ground pellets in the bottom. Bee Co Co-Op has almost none at all, L&E has maybe a cup worth in each bag, and DD has probably 4 - 6 cups worth in each bag. This is not a huge deal as it should all be edible in my feeder setup, but Iím just reporting my observation today.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #8
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Hope it don’t rain
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #9
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Not in next week in Terrell County.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:13 AM   #10
lanceodom
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
I was originally asked to put up two feeders side by side, but that isnít possible. The area is VERY remote and itís a miracle I have one feeder there. I mixed the feeds so the deer eating from the feeder will get the taste and smell of all three together... then see if they hit one pile more than the other. May work and may not....we shall see in 10 weeks.

Gotcha. I bet they eat it. Whatever the mixture is. I was hoping it was the Pepsi challenge and we would see which they ate first?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:40 AM   #11
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Thatís how the pile test in front of the game camera is....hopefully.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

So someone gave you 8 bags free of their protein to compare 3 different kinds of protein and you mixed all of them together in 1 feeder to see which one works best?

Got it. Very reliable study

I will say you like doing tests, trying new products, and new ideas.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #13
TXBRASS
Ten Point

I made it very clear that I could not do any other test than an on the ground sidexside study. I told the guy that I would do that in front of a camera for him to see what feed the deer preferred. I also told him that I have a large feeder and only get to fill it every 70 days. I never met the guy, nor did I ever ask for anything for free. He text me out of the blue and said he was heading in my direction and had some feed he wanted me to try. I didn’t know if he was dropping off one sack or 100, nor did I expect anything. If anything is questioned, I can take screen-shots and post the text messages we had back and forth. I feed Lyssey and Eckel, but spent the extra money to buy DD, because I was told that the deer prefer Bee Co over DD. In 70 days, when I head back to fill, chances are I will have a load of L&E as I’m not even close to the nearest Bee Co dealer. I was asked to do a test and I’m doing it.... I guess you would expect me to do something else...???

Last edited by TXBRASS; 05-11-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #14
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
So someone gave you 8 bags free of their protein to compare 3 different kinds of protein and you mixed all of them together in 1 feeder to see which one works best?

Got it. Very reliable study

I will say you like doing tests, trying new products, and new ideas.
Ur the guy on the Protein Pellet Ingredient (TDN%) post who says he feeds the lowest TDN/cheapest feed available (MG) because you can't afford better feed.

Your quote:
I can't afford $13 a bag on a low fence place. Not when we have 2 1000# protein feeders.

With that mindset, not sure why you care which feed shows to be preferred and why you take the time to critique so professionally the way I chose to compare the 2....
Old 05-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #15
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

It’s nice that you got free bags of feed, but this test is severely flawed. Just chalk it up for what it is...you got free feed out of the deal but you want be able to make any reliable conclusions based on this test.
texasdeerhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
Itís nice that you got free bags of feed, but this test is severely flawed. Just chalk it up for what it is...you got free feed out of the deal but you want be able to make any reliable conclusions based on this test.

Iíll post the results regardless and folks can interpret them how they wish....flawed or not.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #17
Peyton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs

Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #18
Crocket Cowboy
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

I have tried my own comparison for what it's worth. I put DD and L&E side by side in two 300 pound feeders 3 years ago. The DD feeder was empty when I went to check them in 16 days. The two feeders had been at the same place for 2 years next to each other when I did my comparison. There was about 175 lbs of L&E left in the other feeder. I topped off the L&E with DD and filled the other 300 lb feeder with DD again. Twenty one days later the DD feeder was empty again and the other feeder still had about fifty pounds of L&E under the DD I had put on top of it. That is my experience I'm sure different areas show different results. DD has the ingredients I like and I'm happy with it. Both DD and L&E are good products I think but I'm feeding what I think has helped my herd tremendously in 3 years.
Don't know anything about what is in the Co-Op Feed, DD has around 1000 lbs of peanuts with out shell and cottonseed meal in each ton. I like that especially with a tdn of over 80 percent. Im curious to see what your deer eat first hope your efforts work for you.
Crocket Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #19
lanceodom
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocket Cowboy View Post
I have tried my own comparison for what it's worth. I put DD and L&E side by side in two 300 pound feeders 3 years ago. The DD feeder was empty when I went to check them in 16 days. The two feeders had been at the same place for 2 years next to each other when I did my comparison. There was about 175 lbs of L&E left in the other feeder. I topped off the L&E with DD and filled the other 300 lb feeder with DD again. Twenty one days later the DD feeder was empty again and the other feeder still had about fifty pounds of L&E under the DD I had put on top of it. That is my experience I'm sure different areas show different results. DD has the ingredients I like and I'm happy with it. Both DD and L&E are good products I think but I'm feeding what I think has helped my herd tremendously in 3 years.
Don't know anything about what is in the Co-Op Feed, DD has around 1000 lbs of peanuts with out shell and cottonseed meal in each ton. I like that especially with a tdn of over 80 percent. Im curious to see what your deer eat first hope your efforts work for you.
Interesting. The ranch I just bought was feeding DD for the past year but we switched to L&E. On the DD they were eating 1000# feeder to empty in about 14-21 days. I am curious to see what is happening with the L&E now.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:46 PM   #20
Crocket Cowboy
Four Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceodom View Post
Interesting. The ranch I just bought was feeding DD for the past year but we switched to L&E. On the DD they were eating 1000# feeder to empty in about 14-21 days. I am curious to see what is happening with the L&E now.
Monitor your herds body weight and antler mass this year compared to last since changing your feed plan. I have been very impressed with my herds progress in both. I added 2 new feeders in January to my ranch and I started feeding protein year round 15 months ago.
Congratulations on your new ranch. Fun times.
Crocket Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #21
Gary Roberson
Eight Point

My experience in Terrell County is that you best return in two weeks, not 70 days as there is not going to be any evidence left....
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #22
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

I am interested in the results. Thanks for doing it.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #23
buckerup
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, Texas. Coleman County

Blackgold, thanks for doing the best you can with what you have to work with. Keep us posted on results.
buckerup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #24
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocket Cowboy View Post

Don't know anything about what is in the Co-Op Feed, DD has around 1000 lbs of peanuts with out shell and cottonseed meal in each ton. I like that especially with a tdn of over 80 percent. .

I gotta call BS when itís obvious so people here can use common sense and good judgement when making a comparison. First off, I think DD is an excellent feed, but use basic math when testing certain claims or rumors.
Peanuts used in feed have a fat percentage of 40%, so if half the mix was peanuts then the fat percentage of DD would be 20%.... It is 3.5% fat. Use that to tell you how many pounds of peanuts are in each ton.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #25
SouthTexas14
Nubbin' Buck

Half the mix is not peanuts. Almost half of this formulation is cottonseed meal and peanuts. Peanuts are running about 39% fat and cottonseed meal from most crushing plants in Texas is about 1.2% Fat. The combination of the two plus other ingredients and minerals will get you to a MINIMUM of 3.5 fat.
SouthTexas14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #26
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTexas14 View Post
Half the mix is not peanuts. Almost half of this formulation is cottonseed meal and peanuts. Peanuts are running about 39% fat and cottonseed meal from most crushing plants in Texas is about 1.2% Fat. The combination of the two plus other ingredients and minerals will get you to a MINIMUM of 3.5 fat.

So then peanuts should be less than 10%.... Thanks for the info SouthTexas14.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #27
SouthTexas14
Nubbin' Buck

Right around there, yes.
SouthTexas14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #28
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

I guess I missed it when very high consumption rates were the goal of a supplemental feed program. Isn’t that more the goal of a feed lot?

Should have put a pile of corn next to the protein and see which is gone first.
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #29
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
I guess I missed it when very high consumption rates were the goal of a supplemental feed program. Isnít that more the goal of a feed lot?

Should have put a pile of corn next to the protein and see which is gone first.

The more high quality protein feed a deer eats, the better condition he will be, and therefore more nutrients stored for better antler growth and post rut recovery. Same thing goes for does...more nutrition would mean better ability to carry a fawn and then milk production.
Seems like a pretty simple concept to me.

No idea how a pile of corn would come into play when comparing two protein feeds, but anyway.....

Old 05-13-2018, 07:46 PM   #30
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
The more high quality protein feed a deer eats, the better condition he will be, and therefore more nutrients stored for better antler growth and post rut recovery. Same thing goes for does...more nutrition would mean better ability to carry a fawn and then milk production.
Seems like a pretty simple concept to me.

No idea how a pile of corn would come into play when comparing two protein feeds, but anyway.....

So is it still the goal for it to be a supplement or the herds primary ration for the day?
Old 05-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #31
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
So is it still the goal for it to be a supplement or the herds primary ration for the day?

The goal is to fill the gaps in what the deer need depending on what is available to them in nature. The goal, mine anyway, is to keep their daily average protein intake as high as possible. If their daily intake naturally is 10% protein, then I hope they eat as much of my protein as possible. If their daily intake is 16+ percent protein naturally, then itís not that big of a deal.
For me, feeding in Terrell County, itís a much bigger factor to my herds health as in really dry years you can see the deer being thin. For some it may not be that big of an addition. To each his own.

I personally want my deer to eat as much protein as they can swallow each day.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #32
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Quote:
The goal is to fill the gaps in what the deer need depending on what is available to them in nature. The goal, mine anyway, is to keep their daily average protein intake as high as possible. If their daily intake naturally is 10% protein, then I hope they eat as much of my protein as possible. If their daily intake is 16+ percent protein naturally, then itís not that big of a deal.
For me, feeding in Terrell County, itís a much bigger factor to my herds health as in really dry years you can see the deer being thin. For some it may not be that big of an addition. To each his own.

What do you realistically think you are going to gain in inches in Terrell County with your feed program?
Old 05-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #33
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
What do you realistically think you are going to gain in inches in Terrell County with your feed program?

Even if I gain one inch I am happy. I have a herd of deer that eat daily, a dozen or so javelina, and 8-9 grey fox.....not to mention countless birds. Everything on my game cameras are fat and happy. I am a HUNTER and an ANIMAL LOVER at the same time. Makes me smile every game cam pic I see from out there and every animal that walks out when I hunt. I do my part and leave the rest to God. Inches will come as they will.... they wonít if they donít get to eat.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #34
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
I guess I missed it when very high consumption rates were the goal of a supplemental feed program. Isnít that more the goal of a feed lot?
YES, the whole and only advantage to feeding DD is their consumption rate, essentially turning them into livestock standing at a feeder.
But, this has been the goal of most ST ranches for many years, so hats off to Dilley Feed & grain. They got it figured out. It is a Great Livestock feed. It would probably grow some super fat goats and cattle too, but ranchers ain't gonna pay $480/ton.

Like I told you before Black Gold, the deer are going to eat way more DD. Mark my words.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #35
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Feed DD, case closed.
Plus your deer will all be sleeping in the feed pen when you show up opening morning.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:20 PM   #36
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
Feed DD, case closed.

Plus your deer will all be sleeping in the feed pen when you show up opening morning.

They do that now with L&E.....

Old 05-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #37
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
They do that now with L&E.....

Old 05-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #38
Jamesl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
I use whole cotton seed. No smell. Hogs donít like it. More protein than most commercial products.
Problem with this is the deer are missing out on the minerals (big deal) that protein pellets provide. We feed both pellets and cotton seed, but sprinkle in minerals with our cotton seed, forcing the deer to eat the cotton seed with minerals.
Jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #39
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
It’s nice that you got free bags of feed, but this test is severely flawed. Just chalk it up for what it is...you got free feed out of the deal but you want be able to make any reliable conclusions based on this test.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #40
Peyton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Carrizo Springs

Quote:
Ur the guy on the Protein Pellet Ingredient (TDN%) post who says he feeds the lowest TDN/cheapest feed available (MG) because you can't afford better feed.

Your quote:

I can't afford $13 a bag on a low fence place. Not when we have 2 1000# protein feeders.

With that mindset, not sure why you care which feed shows to be preferred and why you take the time to critique so professionally the way I chose to compare the 2....

Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #41
TKK
Ten Point

I have no problem with you doing whatever test you want to do. Just not sure how accurate one would be with feed piled on the ground. Too many factors - coons, birds, etc. Also, even though you have cameras out, that is not enough feed to determine much - those two small piles most likely were gone in a couple of days at best.

My guess is that the truth is there is not enough difference in all of the top feeds to make a difference. Feed any of the top 3-4 and your deer will do well
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 PM   #42
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
I have no problem with you doing whatever test you want to do. Just not sure how accurate one would be with feed piled on the ground. Too many factors - coons, birds, etc. Also, even though you have cameras out, that is not enough feed to determine much - those two small piles most likely were gone in a couple of days at best.

My guess is that the truth is there is not enough difference in all of the top feeds to make a difference. Feed any of the top 3-4 and your deer will do well

You are probably 100% correct.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:08 PM   #43
B&C
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
YES, the whole and only advantage to feeding DD is their consumption rate, essentially turning them into livestock standing at a feeder.
But, this has been the goal of most ST ranches for many years, so hats off to Dilley Feed & grain. They got it figured out. It is a Great Livestock feed. It would probably grow some super fat goats and cattle too, but ranchers ain't gonna pay $480/ton.

Like I told you before Black Gold, the deer are going to eat way more DD. Mark my words.
Mine would be a lot easier to kill if they were livestock and standing at the feeder. I wouldn't have to spend Jan & Feb chasing the last few culls/management bucks on the list every year!

Not much info to gain from this test but another chance to fire up the most controversial topic on this board. Maybe we should mention/discuss how great the 6.5 creedmoor is?

There's been lots of consumption comparisons done and almost all of them result in DD winning out. Pray for rain, Maverick County has an umbrella over it!! Protein and cottonseed consumption rates are crazy right now!
B&C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #44
bukkskin
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&C View Post
Mine would be a lot easier to kill if they were livestock and standing at the feeder. I wouldn't have to spend Jan & Feb chasing the last few culls/management bucks on the list every year!

Not much info to gain from this test but another chance to fire up the most controversial topic on this board. Maybe we should mention/discuss how great the 6.5 creedmoor is?

There's been lots of consumption comparisons done and almost all of them result in DD winning out. Pray for rain, Maverick County has an umbrella over it!! Protein and cottonseed consumption rates are crazy right now!
Ok, I will help you out.
Feed unlimited DD all year. Cut it back to timed in the morning and evening during hunting season. They should all be there when the feeder goes off.
FYI, I KNOW how well fed South Texas ranches are to hunt. Tame deer!!!

Same goes for cattle, goats and All other livestock. Just honk your horn when you pull into the pasture.
They will get "trained" and come up ever time.

Last edited by bukkskin; 05-15-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #45
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Finally made it back out west to get the side xside comparison results. In a 5 day period, 42 deer were photographed eating from the Double Down pile while 26 deer were photographed eating from the Bee County Co-Op pile. At the end of the 5 days, there was still approximately 50% of the Bee County Feed on the pile and very little of the Double Down left.

The protein feeder in the background that contained over a thousand pounds of equal amounts of Double Down, Lyssey and Eckel, and Bee County was completely drained in 21 days.

These are my honest results.....take them for what they are worth to you.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #46
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Thanks for the info.
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #47
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell County

I was buying protein in Gatesville couple weekends ago and noticed they were carrying Double Down and decided to try it. Itíll be interesting to see how the deer respond to it. Only negative to it I saw was an excessive amount of pellet ďpowderĒ in the bags. Iím not used to that .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top