Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 04-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #2001
bgleaton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County, TX

Looks awesome! I can’t wait to see the results over time and how much more production you will see and whether or not this will reduce fertilizer costs. Thanks for sharing!
bgleaton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #2002
deerdynasty
Spike

great info!! thank you
deerdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #2003
elgato
Ten Point

Here are answers to a couple of questions:

Yes I just drill into existing thatch. If the straight soybean fields start to get weedy I will spray with flex star when they are about 8-12" tall. That kills everything but the legumes.After that the beans will canopy and smother most new weeds. For the mix with sunn hemp, cow peas, soy beans, sunflower and buck wheat I do not plan to spray at all. That mix should out compete any weeds . Besides, a few weeds dont bother me.

I haven't used synthetic commercial fertilizer in years. I do amend with chicken litter. The crops feed the crops. As the thatch melts down it feeds the summer crop. Then the legumes from the summer crop fix nitrogen and feed the fall crop. And on we go. Also the elbon rye has an aleopathic effect which thwarts small seeded weeds for a period of time giving the planted cultivars a head start.

If you want to see this process executed by an expert you tube some of the Gabe Brown videos . He is the master.

Last edited by elgato; 04-15-2018 at 11:48 AM.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #2004
elgato
Ten Point

Living the dream! Got my nose right in the middle of fresh horse manure mixed with wood chips and hay. Quite fragrant. I'm building some new garden beds based on what is colloquially know as a 'Back to Eden' garden concept. I'm using the horse manure to turn to compost then I will cover the concoction with 6-8" of wood chips. I have amended the horse manure with blood meal , organic fertilizer, biochar, azomite, oyster meal,and magnesium sulfate. Will let this all melt down then cover with the chips. Should be ready to go by this fall.

Making 2 beds. One is a new raised bed. The other I'm just covering an area of my yard about 50'x50'. With this system the soil gets better and better over time. Hardly any weeding required ever. Holds and manages water very well requiring almost no watering once plants established. Disperses weight so I can drive across it if I want without soil compression. Fun experiment.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #2005
texas shag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Old Mexico

Rusty, you are inspiring me to start a garden. I may venture down this rabbit trail if time allows. Thanks for all the information!
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #2006
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

You are living the dream sir! Thanks for letting all of us tag along.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #2007
bukkskin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Living the dream! Got my nose right in the middle of fresh horse manure mixed with wood chips and hay. Quite fragrant. I'm building some new garden beds based on what is colloquially know as a 'Back to Eden' garden concept. I'm using the horse manure to turn to compost then I will cover the concoction with 6-8" of wood chips. I have amended the horse manure with blood meal , organic fertilizer, biochar, azomite, oyster meal,and magnesium sulfate. Will let this all melt down then cover with the chips. Should be ready to go by this fall.

Making 2 beds. One is a new raised bed. The other I'm just covering an area of my yard about 50'x50'. With this system the soil gets better and better over time. Hardly any weeding required ever. Holds and manages water very well requiring almost no watering once plants established. Disperses weight so I can drive across it if I want without soil compression. Fun experiment.
Rusty, you need a haircut sir
But to be fair, so do I.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #2008
elgato
Ten Point

Ha! I put hair cuts right up there with prostate exams and trips to Walmart. Total waste of time. Besides, being a...whats the acronym used on here...GOF...and mostly retired to boot, not out to impress anyone . More important things to do like turn the compost pile, feed the chickens and try to figure out how to grow a decent looking buck.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #2009
bukkskin
Eight Point

Quote:
Ha! I put hair cuts right up there with prostate exams and trips to Walmart. Total waste of time. Besides, being a...whats the acronym used on here...GOF...and mostly retired to boot, not out to impress anyone . More important things to do like turn the compost pile, feed the chickens and try to figure out how to grow a decent looking buck.
Lol, I feel the same, but gotta cut it for work.

I notice that you like to use alfalfa in your garden.
I feed a lot of alfalfa round bales. After the deer stomp it down and pick thru it and it gets rained on a couple times they won't eat it. I am tying to figure out the best use for it.
Spread it around my new trees, use it in some raised beds??
What would you do with it?

Btw, your place and garden are looking great
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #2010
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
Lol, I feel the same, but gotta cut it for work.

I notice that you like to use alfalfa in your garden.
I feed a lot of alfalfa round bales. After the deer stomp it down and pick thru it and it gets rained on a couple times they won't eat it. I am tying to figure out the best use for it.
Spread it around my new trees, use it in some raised beds??
What would you do with it?

Btw, your place and garden are looking great
Thanks,

I've been using a heavy alfalfa mulch on the garden the last couple of years and love it. Essentially no weeding and does great things for the soil. The amount of worms looks like something out of 'Little House of Horrors'. As the alfalfa decomposes, I add a layer of compost then re mulch with about ~ 6" more alfalfa. I never till or work the garden at all. Just add a layer of compost, add mulch and plant . Easy and very productive .

I think I have found a source of wood chips and if I get enough I will convert from alfalfa to wood chips. They last longer and have all the soil benefits.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #2011
elgato
Ten Point

Harvest day for the rest of the cauliflower, broccoli, napa and regular cabbage as well as a pile of collards. I caught it, now my wife can skin it.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #2012
elgato
Ten Point

On the assumption that many of you have lost interest in gardening we can get back to farm critters and farming for a while. This youngster got his first turkey this morning from the farm. Think he is bragging to his friends about now? Not sure who was the most excited...him or his grand dad who called the gobbler in. toss up.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #2013
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Quote:
On the assumption that many of you have lost interest in gardening we can get back to farm critters and farming for a while. This youngster got his first turkey this morning from the farm. Think he is bragging to his friends about now? Not sure who was the most excited...him or his grand dad who called the gobbler in. toss up.
I can't speak for everyone, but I like all your posts on the different aspects of the farm! You are doing it right on many levels!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #2014
Puncher51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

I love seeing posts about the entire property; garden, deer, farming and all.
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #2015
Reaper87
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lee county, Mason county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puncher51 View Post
I love seeing posts about the entire property; garden, deer, farming and all.
Agreed. El gato is living the life that many of us dream about. Iím working toward a place like his every day I go to work.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2018, 12:04 AM   #2016
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
I can't speak for everyone, but I like all your posts on the different aspects of the farm! You are doing it right on many levels!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
X2!!
Living the dream elgato!
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #2017
Bowhuntinonly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Decker Prairie Tx.

Looking good, i have been reading the Back to Eden gardening articles and is something i want to try!
Bowhuntinonly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #2018
elgato
Ten Point

Thanks folks, I'll try to keep the posts well rounded.

It doesn't take the deer long to get on the soybeans. I think the deer on the farm are so familiar with my ag system that when they hear a tractor they come looking to see what I've planted. They were on these beans within days after sprouting. Thus the fields I plant in summer crops are at least 5 acres preferably bigger. They wipe out anything smaller before the cultivars have a chance.

I think there is still a chance these stubs can grow. If you look closely you can see the start of new leaves forming. This is a 10 acre field planted at 60 lbs acre [to compensate for 80% germ rate ] . It will do well.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #2019
No-Tox
Four Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhuntinonly View Post
Looking good, i have been reading the Back to Eden gardening articles and is something i want to try!
Look into the Ruth Stout method too.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #2020
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:

Keep this stuff coming! On the first picture what is that by your foot? Just a pc of steel where the boards join together or something else?
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #2021
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
Keep this stuff coming! On the first picture what is that by your foot? Just a pc of steel where the boards join together or something else?
Piece of steel joining the 2x12's. Bolted together. Most important part is the 2x4 cap on top that allows my lazy butt to sit while working.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #2022
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
Look into the Ruth Stout method too.
Good stuff. Actually this is much closer to the method I have been using the last few years. I'm a fan of deep mulching...no weeding, better water management and does a great job of building soil. I'm just starting to explore using wood chips.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #2023
No-Tox
Four Point

Quote:
Good stuff. Actually this is much closer to the method I have been using the last few years. I'm a fan of deep mulching...no weeding, better water management and does a great job of building soil. I'm just starting to explore using wood chips.
I started using straw this year on my garden and liking it so far. Deep mulch is the key. I think straw/hay breaks down a lot quicker than wood chips so helps build the soil. If someone just wants to mulch and not looking for material breakdown then wood chips would do the trick. Eventually you would get the breakdown as it is talked about in the Back to Eden method but I think the straw/hay does a better composting.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #2024
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:
Piece of steel joining the 2x12's. Bolted together. Most important part is the 2x4 cap on top that allows my lazy butt to sit while working.
Ha, good call! I may need something bigger than a 2x4 to support me though!

I have a place in mind for these on our new place. For the past 14 years the previous owner has had the horse stalls cleaned and dumped in one place by the barn so the soil should be excellent already.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 12:09 AM   #2025
No-Tox
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
Ha, good call! I may need something bigger than a 2x4 to support me though!

I have a place in mind for these on our new place. For the past 14 years the previous owner has had the horse stalls cleaned and dumped in one place by the barn so the soil should be excellent already.
That's perfect.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:39 AM   #2026
Bruiser86
Four Point

Hunt In: Bruni ,TX

Holy crappers... how did i miss this three before? I skipped through once i caught wind of monsters and hard work paying off but i am now going back to read EVERYTHING.
Bruiser86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #2027
elgato
Ten Point

Occasionally you have to take a break from the farm. My buddy bought a new Icon 5 from the factory in Vacaville California. We are both high time pilots and are ferrying the plane over to montrose Colorado. Will take a few days with overnights in Elko nv Heber city. Sorrel river ranch in Moab. After that a few days in telluride then back to farm living. Fun adventure with a new twist on mountain flying. We did a water landing in Lake Tahoe today which was cool. 6 hrs flying today though and I’m whipped
Attached Images

Last edited by elgato; 05-05-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:14 AM   #2028
monsterspike
Six Point

okay enough ignoring the obvious question on every ones mind....

who finishes the marathons first? what is the average wait time?
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #2029
elgato
Ten Point

Happy with this. Iím out of town but had this pic sent to me. Sunn hemp, cow peas, soybeans, buckwheat and sunflowers drilled into heavy rye thatch. Just planted last Thursday. Got about 1/2Ē on it but otherwise dry and hot. Will be interesting to see how thatch holds moisture and thwarts weeds.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #2030
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterspike View Post
okay enough ignoring the obvious question on every ones mind....

who finishes the marathons first? what is the average wait time?
Ha. I guess you are talking about the competition between my wife and I? We havenít run a marathon together. But we have done several half Ironman triathlons together. She is a very strong swimmer so we generally finish the 1.2 mile swim with about the same time. From there Iím faster on both the bike and run which is 13.1 miles My last total time was 5 hours 55 mins. Took her about 6 hrs 50 mins best I recall. I asked her if she wanted pizza and a beer. She laughed and said bubble bath massage and champagne.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #2031
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Happy with this. Iím out of town but had this pic sent to me. Sunn hemp, cow peas, soybeans, buckwheat and sunflowers drilled into heavy rye thatch. Just planted last Thursday. Got about 1/2Ē on it but otherwise dry and hot. Will be interesting to see how thatch holds moisture and thwarts weeds.

You threw that seed combo in the main seed box or was there something that in the small seed box also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dushon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #2032
elgato
Ten Point

Everything was in main box. Inoculated then mixed
Old 05-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #2033
Dushon
Ten Point

Quote:
Everything was in main box. Inoculated then mixed

Gotcha. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dushon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-13-2018, 03:51 AM   #2034
monsterspike
Six Point

Quote:
Ha. I guess you are talking about the competition between my wife and I? We havenít run a marathon together. But we have done several half Ironman triathlons together. She is a very strong swimmer so we generally finish the 1.2 mile swim with about the same time. From there Iím faster on both the bike and run which is 13.1 miles My last total time was 5 hours 55 mins. Took her about 6 hrs 50 mins best I recall. I asked her if she wanted pizza and a beer. She laughed and said bubble bath massage and champagne.
not to derail, but people that compete at that level have always amazed me. did you guys compete in college?

you two are getting full value out of life for sure. beautiful place, beautiful family! God bless!
monsterspike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #2035
elgato
Ten Point

As Suetonius said to Julius Ceasar when he took his army across the Rubicon River into Northern Italy---"The die is cast" Here at the farm that simply means we have inaugurated all the spring/summer projects for the deer and now we are into maintenance and typical summer farm projects.

All the summer plots are in. We planted fields of 7.5 acres, 6.5, and 10 acres of straight soybeans. All are up and taking off. We planted fields of 18 and 12 acres of a mix including sunn hemp, cow peas, soybeans, buckwheat, and sunflower. As you can see from the picture after 2 weeks even with no rain they are doing well.

We planted fields of 2.5, 3, 2 and 6 acres in joint vetch. I threw a little alyce clover in with the vetch.

We also have straight clover fields doing very well of 5,5,3,5,11,3,4,3,3 acres as well as random clover here and there all around.The clover includes, berseem, arrow leaf, red clover, durana,as well as crimson which is done. All the clover fields have chicory in them. Most of these fields still have standing dried wheat in them from the fall. Makes great fawning and turkey nesting plus the deer eat the seed heads.

A 13 acre crimson field was planted in straight sunflowers for doves...assuming the deer don't eat them all.

Beyond all that all feeders..22 altogether..are filled with protein. Granted we don't use Double Down or for that matter any known name feed. In fact I think our feed is much better being custom blended to our specifications. Along with many of the typical ingredients we include digestives, probiotics, yeasts and cultures, as well as essential oils. Unfortunately costs more than Double Down et al as well.

I thinned ~300 acres of hardwood last summer. It is growing up like a jungle. Very happy with the ground cover growing there. Now it might be difficult to get a deer out of that habitat but thats ok.

So the die is cast. Deer are hitting the fields and feeders. Bachelor groups are showing up. Keen to see what this year produces.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #2036
Puncher51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Thank you so much for this thread! I love seeing what all you do and your reasoning behind it all!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #2037
Dslatter12
Nubbin' Buck

Following
Dslatter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #2038
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX

Awesome stuff as usual Rusty!!!
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #2039
dstrong
Ten Point

Quote:
As Suetonius said to Julius Ceasar when he took his army across the Rubicon River into Northern Italy---"The die is cast" Here at the farm that simply means we have inaugurated all the spring/summer projects for the deer and now we are into maintenance and typical summer farm projects.

All the summer plots are in. We planted fields of 7.5 acres, 6.5, and 10 acres of straight soybeans. All are up and taking off. We planted fields of 18 and 12 acres of a mix including sunn hemp, cow peas, soybeans, buckwheat, and sunflower. As you can see from the picture after 2 weeks even with no rain they are doing well.

We planted fields of 2.5, 3, 2 and 6 acres in joint vetch. I threw a little alyce clover in with the vetch.

We also have straight clover fields doing very well of 5,5,3,5,11,3,4,3,3 acres as well as random clover here and there all around.The clover includes, berseem, arrow leaf, red clover, durana,as well as crimson which is done. All the clover fields have chicory in them. Most of these fields still have standing dried wheat in them from the fall. Makes great fawning and turkey nesting plus the deer eat the seed heads.

A 13 acre crimson field was planted in straight sunflowers for doves...assuming the deer don't eat them all.

Beyond all that all feeders..22 altogether..are filled with protein. Granted we don't use Double Down or for that matter any known name feed. In fact I think our feed is much better being custom blended to our specifications. Along with many of the typical ingredients we include digestives, probiotics, yeasts and cultures, as well as essential oils. Unfortunately costs more than Double Down et al as well.

I thinned ~300 acres of hardwood last summer. It is growing up like a jungle. Very happy with the ground cover growing there. Now it might be difficult to get a deer out of that habitat but thats ok.

So the die is cast. Deer are hitting the fields and feeders. Bachelor groups are showing up. Keen to see what this year produces.

Looks dang good Amigo.
dstrong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #2040
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

Quote:

Man, Id love to get my bees around some of your planted goods...Awesome work!
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #2041
EastTexasMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: A pop up Blind in East Texas

Man I don't even want to know your yearly bill for food plots and protein. Nice work.
EastTexasMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #2042
elgato
Ten Point

Growing Predator Control

Today is May 21 and fawning season is upon us. I know a lot of folks are concerned that predators negatively impact their fawning success and take aggressive steps to eliminate as many coyotes, and bobcats as possible. I have no problem with that I just choose a different approach to fawn survival . My strategy is to grow my predator control.

Here on the farm I have numerous road right of ways ranging about 2-3 chains wide. There are numerous clover fields scattered around as well as fields of NWSG. 2 years ago I thinned an 80 acre predominantly pine forest. Last year I thinned about 300 acres of hardwood.All of the timber has been managed within the last 10 yrs.

The outcome of all this is outstanding fawning cover. The ROW's and other openings are knee to chest deep in grasses. The clover fields have standing wheat and rye grass [ which is impossible for me to get rid of ] and misc. weeds again knee to chest high with great clover underneath. The timber is a jungle. The net effect is that there are places all over the farm to hide fawns. Heck a fairly large herd of giraffes could successfully fawn here. The result is a consistently high fawn survival rate.

I also check fawn survival about green up. Same thing, while there is always some over winter mortality survival rates are high enough to satisfy. So rather than trying to fight nature I prefer to take a lazy mans approach and let nature do all the work. Also lets me enjoy one of my farm goals and that is magnificent abundance.