Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 05-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!
Default Pedestal

I want to preface this by saying Iíve never done any type of wood working projects in my life (other than nailing a couple boards together as a kid).
Anyhow, I got the bright idea of building wood pedestals for a couple mounts my wife and I have coming from the taxidermist here soon. My main reason for wanting to build them was pretty man ch the cost... Iím a cheapo when it comes to just about everything and when I can save some money, Iím all for it, and thus, this project came in my head. I learned a TON about what to do and what NOT to do, so hopefully my next one will work out a bit smoother.

I started by building my frame out of 2x2s, and when I was finished I thought this wasnít going to be bad after all. That was my first mistake thinking that...

Then my lack of experience came into play as I was going to cover the outside with 1x6 white pine. Iíd made and drawn up my dimensions based off covering with 1x6 boards, and realized when I went to cover the frame that a 1x6 isnít truly 1x6, itís 1x5 1/2!!!!!
So, I now had 1 1/2Ē gaps to fill on all my corners. I loaded up the pedestal and to the lumber yard I went to see what kind of options I had. After a bit of looking, we finally found some door trim that didnít look to bad on the edges and I went with it.

So all in all, for a rookie carpenter I thought it turned out okay. Still have to sand, stain, and put some habitat on before I stick the mount on it, but will update with finished product and even throw in pics of the next one once I get it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

Really cool. One thing would make it better. Install a hidden compartment to hide stuff.
stinkbelly is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
cricman
Ten Point

Hunt In: West of Weatherford

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkbelly View Post
Really cool. One thing would make it better. Install a hidden compartment to hide stuff.
This^^^^^

Looks like about 10 cubic feet of storage inside of it. You could easily get more than 20 .50 cal ammo cans inside that thing!

cricman
cricman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I built one very similar for a mount I had done. Added wheels to the bottom to move it easier and a door. The door was recommended by the taxi in the event it wanted to tip one way or the other we could add weight.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
MedicineMan7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere they let me in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkbelly View Post
Still have to trim out a couple corners, so may try to add a trap door. I had considered it when I was building it in the beginning, then the idea got scrapped when everything didn't line up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I built one very similar for a mount I had done. Added wheels to the bottom to move it easier and a door. The door was recommended by the taxi in the event it wanted to tip one way or the other we could add weight.
I like the wheels idea! May have to look into that
MedicineMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
jeremy360
Ten Point

Looking good...you will enjoy that for years to come.
jeremy360 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top