Giant A-41 Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant A-41 Pump

I just acquired a Giant brand model A-41 pump on spray rig used to spray pecan trees. I am in need of owner's operating manual and/or source of parts. Anyone by chance familiar with this pump. It is rigged with a 2 hp Briggs engine, I have achieved 500psi to the spray gun then the motor bogs down and kills the motor. I need to achieve 700 psi and close to 20 gpm to get the advertised 85 ft height of spray from my spray gun.

Would appreciate any help from the green screen pump experts. Thanks.

Goggle.

Comment

Goggle was my first choice. Greenscreen genius' next choice.

Comment

Call Giant, they know more about the pumps they manufacture than we do.

Comment

Thank you, you've been so helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
            Call Giant, they know more about the pumps they manufacture than we do.
            You could have provided the number

I have spent hours on search engines looking up parts for stuff. Not always as easy as typing a word in a search line

Good luck OP

Comment

Technical Information
              Giant provides a variety of technical information and materials including; troubleshooting guides, repair and maintenance manuals and videos for our pumps and accessories. These materials are designed to help you better understand how to run, repair and service Giant pumps and accessories. In addition, we provide information on how to properly size drive components for a system, determining nozzle size, and other information that will assist you in utilizing our products.

From giants website.

Comment

Somehow I knew to contact Giant, and I have. There are so many knowledgeable people on the green screen thought I would ask. Sometime practical, hands on experience is better than something from a tech guy. I did contact them and they informed me that that particular model is obsolete some parts are available but they don't sell directly to the public. There you go.

Comment

Originally posted by postman View Post
                  Somehow I knew to contact Giant, and I have. There are so many knowledgeable people on the green screen thought I would ask. Sometime practical, hands on experience is better than something from a tech guy. I did contact them and they informed me that that particular model is obsolete some parts are available but they don't sell directly to the public. There you go.
                  I tried googling that pump on 2 different search engines and did not come up with anything that would help you.
                  I have dealt with other brands of tri-plex pumps (i'm guessing this is what you have) and how they work so this is what I will say.

Part of the pressure is actually developed from the orifice in the spray tip, so its just my opinion that when they advertise "X lbs of pressure" its really not a measurable amount that can be done with any type of mechanical gauge. They only come up with that measurement using a mathematical formula.

That brings me to question #1 - What type of spray wand and what type of tip are you using? Conical / adjustable? Machined / adjustable? Quick connect / fixed? If its quick connect, I may have some tips at the shope that fit and I'll let you take them and test what works best. I have a couple different suppliers I can order these from or I can probably order you a set of several sizes that would cover different patterns.

Now as far as the engine bogging down and dying - 2 things:
                  A) is there an unloader valve on the pump? What this does is allow the pump to build pressure to a certain point and then when it gets there, it will internally release the pressure and allow the engine to keep running without "locking" the drive - for lack of a better explanation.
                  Some of these unloaders are internally set and not adjustable. Some are externally adjustable with a set screw and lock nut and some are just a simple knob that can be turned in or out to adjust the relief pressure.

B) Is that the original engine that this unit was designed to run the pump? 2HP is kinda low, or at least that's my thought on that. I think the smallest I have ever seen is about a 10HP gas and most are closer to 13HP

I have dealt with Annovi and CAT pumps in the past and I can tell you from experience that you can sink more money in repair parts than the cost of a brand new pump. We absolutely refuse to rebuild them. Its pump replacement or don't even leave it with us.
                  I buy our units through Briggs and Stratton Power Products which is a subsidiary of Briggs and Stratton Engines. They produce ALOT of the pressure washers on the market even if they are running Honda or another brand of engine on them.
                  I have a unit that we just replaced the pump on at the shop and they are picking it up sometime on Friday. You are more than welcome to come in / bring your sprayer down / whatever works for you and we may be able to figure it out. We are only there till noon on Wednesday and Thursday.

In the meantime, if you contact Giant Pump again, just ask them to email you a parts schematic and an operators manual if possible. These may or may not contain part numbers that will cross reference into what supplier I have.

Gene Mooney Chemical has been in the pump / sprayer business for ALOT longer than we have been. I push the oilfield type / heated units toward him. He may be able to give you some insight also.

Comment

The guy at Giant e-mailed me back that he had "found" an owner's operating manual and attached it to the e-mail. It convinced me pretty quick that my motor was undersized. So I am in the process of upgrading to a bigger motor. The chart in the manual suggest 6 hp. Thanks for your usual helpfulness.

The nozzle is adjustable and not the quick connect type. There is a pressure relief device that relieves back to the tank, it is adjustable and I don't think I have reached the set pressure to make it relieve. Yes original motor for this home rigged set up. We'll see what the bigger motor does.

Comment

Sounds like you are gonna make some headway on it.
                      Lets us know if you need anything.

Comment

Working...
                      X