Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
TXBRASS
Ten Point
 
TXBRASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default Double Down attraction capabilities

If you've read any of my posts, (especially the protein ingredient/TDN mega-post) you know that I have a decent understanding and common-sense approach to protein supplementing the deer at my spots.

I have been totally happy with Lyssey & Eckel 20% and my deer seem to do well on it. I do have a few large bucks that only eat from the protein feeder on rare occasions. I have put cameras up around the feed pen and see that they are there, but mainly just eat corn spread from the cast feeder. 3 of these are my larger bucks, and I bet I don't have a dozen pictures of each actually eating protein.

One of a few things could be happening.

1.) They were obviously older when the protein feeders were placed and they are skiddish of them to a certain extent...which if true, is weird that that ever eat from the feeder at all.

2.) They are happy with corn or pick corn over protein and just have their way with that and forget the protein.

or

3.) The taste/choice of protein isn't enough to get them "addicted" to the pellets so there is no driving force/desire to eat the protein.

I do believe that Double Down is an excellent feed, based on the TDN%. I believe that DD's marketing strategy was brilliant, but on a level of nutrition, I feel it is on the same level of Lyssey & Eckel.
I've probably read 95% of the DD posts on the Green Screen, and the one common denominator is that folks say that consumption levels increase and more deer start eating it. I'm guessing this is from the use of peanuts in the feed which to me adds an "attractant" aspect to the feed.

I'm debating whether to mix my next feeder fill with 50-50 DD/L&E to try and get the larger skiddish bucks to begin eating the protein more consistently.

I have already mixed it with corn as well as soybeans, and although I have a LOT of deer eating it, the few big boys are still stand-off'ish.

Your thoughts....???
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
deerwatcher51
Ten Point
 
deerwatcher51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Brenham & Richland Springs
Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos
Default

Following
deerwatcher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
TXBRASS
Ten Point
 
TXBRASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
Following


Guess no need, cuz no one responding! LOL


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

I'd be very interested in your results... your intentions seem pure and unbiased. I too think they're both really good feeds, just the constant hype of DD being this miracle feed drives me nuts.

I wonder if you filled a feeder with just DD if your big boys would show up more othen? Would be interesting to say the least.
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #5
TXBRASS
Ten Point
 
TXBRASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
I'd be very interested in your results... your intentions seem pure and unbiased. I too think they're both really good feeds, just the constant hype of DD being this miracle feed drives me nuts.

I wonder if you filled a feeder with just DD if your big boys would show up more othen? Would be interesting to say the least.


Iíve never filled a feeder ďpureĒ with 100% of one feed. Even with the L&E, Iíve always mixed it with either roasted soybeans or Golden Nuggets. I feel multiple protein sources is more beneficial than just one. Of course, my every 70 day feeder fill is middle of May, so I wonít exactly know whoís who until a few months (antler growth) passes, but I would hope that a 50-50 mix would give me the best of both worlds. Not to say that I wouldnít go 100% DD, but if my numbers increase as antlers begin to grow, Iíd be tempted to keep the mix as-is.
Think Iím gonna give the 50-50 mix a try and see what the camera show when the July feeder-fill comes around. Those pics should tell the tale and set in concrete what I do the next fill and there-after.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
I'd be very interested in your results... your intentions seem pure and unbiased. I too think they're both really good feeds, just the constant hype of DD being this miracle feed drives me nuts. .
Yes...Desperation at its best.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
Peyton
Pope & Young
 
Peyton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corsicana
Hunt In: Carrizo Springs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Yes...Desperation at its best.


Hater #1 has arrived!
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
TXBRASS
Ten Point
 
TXBRASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyton View Post
hater #1 has arrived!
lol!
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Peyton
Pope & Young
 
Peyton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corsicana
Hunt In: Carrizo Springs
Default

Ring the bell for the DD haters!!

My experience has been that the attractiveness/addictive qualities of DD have been seen/proven for me on a ranch wide scale over the last 3 years. There is no disputing that deer eat more DD than other brands.

DD has a ďsecretĒ ingredient to attract deer that isnít peanuts
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #10
lab man
Ten Point
 
lab man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North Texas
Hunt In: Callahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
Ring the bell for the DD haters!!

My experience has been that the attractiveness/addictive qualities of DD have been seen/proven for me on a ranch wide scale over the last 3 years. There is no disputing that deer eat more DD than other brands.

DD has a ďsecretĒ ingredient to attract deer that isnít peanuts
Deer love some black licorice!!

A lot of feed suppliers will add anise flavor to feed if you are buying in bulk and ask for it.
lab man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab man View Post
Deer love some black licorice!!

A lot of feed suppliers will add anise flavor to feed if you are buying in bulk and ask for it.
I've noticed LnE smells alot like black licorice, does DD also?
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Big Mike M
Eight Point
 
Big Mike M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Duval County west of Freer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
I've noticed LnE smells alot like black licorice, does DD also?
Yes. Strong licorice and peanut smell. IMO, it smells better than all the competitor brands. The licorice smell is from the anise they spray on it to make it more attractive to the deer. It works. I think the peanut taste is what makes them eat a lot of it. Deer love peanuts.
Big Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
Mexico
Pope & Young
 
Mexico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Clear Lake Tx
Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike M View Post
Yes. Strong licorice and peanut smell. IMO, it smells better than all the competitor brands. The licorice smell is from the anise they spray on it to make it more attractive to the deer. It works. I think the peanut taste is what makes them eat a lot of it. Deer love peanuts.
Gotcha, appreciate the response
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #14
Peyton
Pope & Young
 
Peyton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corsicana
Hunt In: Carrizo Springs
Default

You wonít find me on any DD advertising. I am only a customer.

Iíve tried to share my experience here before, only to be bashed by the 100 acre lease hunters who hate DD just because of the marketing style, not because theyíve tried it. Look beyond the marketing at the ingredients, consistency, TDN, and consumption/attractiveness and you will see itís an above average feed. If I didnít believe, I wouldnít have bought 450 tons of DD.
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #15
texas shag
Ten Point
 
texas shag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Argyle
Hunt In: Anderson County, Old Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
You wonít find me on any DD advertising. I am only a customer.

Iíve tried to share my experience here before, only to be bashed by the 100 acre lease hunters who hate DD just because of the marketing style, not because theyíve tried it. Look beyond the marketing at the ingredients, consistency, TDN, and consumption/attractiveness and you will see itís an above average feed. If I didnít believe, I wouldnít have bought 450 tons of DD.
Holy Chit I cant imagine footing (or even being a contributing member) your feed bill .

glad to hear you are getting good results out of it. That is the bottom line, and all anybody should be looking for
texas shag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
txwhitetail
Pope & Young
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
You wonít find me on any DD advertising. I am only a customer.

Iíve tried to share my experience here before, only to be bashed by the 100 acre lease hunters who hate DD just because of the marketing style, not because theyíve tried it. Look beyond the marketing at the ingredients, consistency, TDN, and consumption/attractiveness and you will see itís an above average feed. If I didnít believe, I wouldnít have bought 450 tons of DD.
Surely a DD flatbill came with that order!
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #17
sotx
Ten Point
 
sotx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: McMullen County
Default

[QUOTE=Peyton;13293424]Iíve tried to share my experience here before, only to be bashed by the 100 acre lease hunters QUOTE]

That's hilarious and sad at the same time
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #18
Crocket Cowboy
Four Point
 
Crocket Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pearland
Hunt In: South Texas
Default

As for the OP, the deer at my ranch have preferred dd over anything else I have fed them. I have seen good improvement in our deer in the past 3 years feeding it. The buck's mass has been most impressive. I also do not believe the Holden lease needs any of the neighbors deer as he has done incredible things with his lease. It has been very inspiring. I was a guest last year and it's absolutely amazing.
Crocket Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #19
Beargrasstx
Six Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Where can you buy it in Houston area?
Beargrasstx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #20
Peyton
Pope & Young
 
Peyton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corsicana
Hunt In: Carrizo Springs
Default Double Down attraction capabilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Where can you buy it in Houston area?


http://doubledowndeerfeed.com/dealers/

I googled that

Last edited by Peyton; 04-03-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #21
Beargrasstx
Six Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post

Ha, fair enough. I googled right after posting. Looks like livingston area, Rosenberg area and West on I 10 way past Katy are the closest locations. Browsed the website a bit. Anyone here have real comparative experience using this stuff vs Antler Max 20? What is the price running on this if not buying in bulk? 15 dollars a bag???
Beargrasstx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #22
Cull hunter
Eight Point
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Helotes , Tx
Hunt In: Catarina
Default

have never mixed two feeds. I just know that double down will attract deer and keep them on it like no other feed we have used.
Cull hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #23
Rwc
Ten Point
 
Rwc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crawford, Texas
Default

Would it be possible for you to invest in a couple cheaper 55 gallon free choice set ups that you could fill with DD and monitor by camera while continuing to feed your L&E in your established feeders?
This might give you an ideal if your better bucks would be attracted to DD before you made a switch from a feed you have confidence in? Keep us posted in the results.


Rwc

Last edited by Rwc; 04-04-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: No reason in getting the DD haters stirred up.
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #24
TXBRASS
Ten Point
 
TXBRASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc View Post
Would it be possible for you to invest in a couple cheaper 55 gallon free choice set ups that you could fill with DD and monitor by camera while continuing to feed your L&E in your established feeders?
This might give you an ideal if your better bucks would be attracted to DD before you made a switch from a feed you have confidence in? Keep us posted in the results.


Rwc
That would be the perfect test, but not one I am able to do at this place currently.
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #25
tbgascorer
Ten Point
 
tbgascorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tomball, TX
Hunt In: Mills County
Default

Just a thought...are your larger bucks older type deer that while still large, have lost their place in the pecking order and stay on the perimeter while letting the dominant animals monopolize the feed station?
tbgascorer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #26
TXBRASS
Ten Point
 
TXBRASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgascorer View Post
Just a thought...are your larger bucks older type deer that while still large, have lost their place in the pecking order and stay on the perimeter while letting the dominant animals monopolize the feed station?
I don't think they are at that point age wise, but good idea.
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #27
JeffK
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Default

How often are these bucks coming to the feed pen? I would bet they are not local and just swinging by to check the does. I don't see switching proteins, making them turn into protein hogs.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #28
TXBRASS
Ten Point
 
TXBRASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffK View Post
How often are these bucks coming to the feed pen? I would bet they are not local and just swinging by to check the does. I don't see switching proteins, making them turn into protein hogs.
The 2 large WT's are there regularly...almost daily. The one large muley buck is there maybe once a week or so, but mule deer seem to pattern weird like that sometime.
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #29
gingib
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

anyone who challenges Status Quo is considered a hater...fine with me

But when you lie about the type of fence on the Holden ranch where all the advertisement comes from, it steers alot of people the wrong way about the protein.

Just be honest thats my only issue
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #30
TKK
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
anyone who challenges Status Quo is considered a hater...fine with me

But when you lie about the type of fence on the Holden ranch where all the advertisement comes from, it steers alot of people the wrong way about the protein.

Just be honest thats my only issue
YOU ARE DEAD ON - suckers are born every moment
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #31
Peyton
Pope & Young
 
Peyton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corsicana
Hunt In: Carrizo Springs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
anyone who challenges Status Quo is considered a hater...fine with me

But when you lie about the type of fence on the Holden ranch where all the advertisement comes from, it steers alot of people the wrong way about the protein.

Just be honest thats my only issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
YOU ARE DEAD ON - suckers are born every moment

The Chittum is about 15000 acres and easily has over 10 miles of low fence border on the southern half. Iím not sure of the exact numbers, but I have been there. Have you?

TKK...why are we suckers? Please explain.
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #32
RINCON
Ten Point
 
RINCON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
The Chittum is about 15000 acres and easily has over 10 miles of low fence border on the southern half. Iím not sure of the exact numbers, but I have been there. Have you?

TKK...why are we suckers? Please explain.
Yes I have...it's obvious you struggled to comprehend the original message.
RINCON is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #33
Peyton
Pope & Young
 
Peyton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corsicana
Hunt In: Carrizo Springs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINCON View Post
Yes I have...it's obvious you struggled to comprehend the original message.


I comprende. What makes you think I donít?
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #34
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

I've mixed protein and roasted soybeans.....what a nightmare doing the actual mixing by hand.....huge PITA and not worth the labor. How would you mix it?
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #35
TXBRASS
Ten Point
 
TXBRASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
I've mixed protein and roasted soybeans.....what a nightmare doing the actual mixing by hand.....huge PITA and not worth the labor. How would you mix it?


Feeder holds over 1100 lbs. We just alternate bags as w fill. As the feed falls into the tubes it mixes. Itís actually very consistently mixed done this way. We do it all the time when we add soybeans or golden nuggets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #36
unclefish
Pope & Young
 
unclefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Katy, TX
Hunt In: Elk in CO....Deer in Lyons, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Gold View Post
Feeder holds over 1100 lbs. We just alternate bags as w fill. As the feed falls into the tubes it mixes. Itís actually very consistently mixed done this way. We do it all the time when we add soybeans or golden nuggets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotcha. It never worked that well in my 1200lb boss buck. One tube would have all soybeans and one protein.... Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #37
TXBRASS
Ten Point
 
TXBRASS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shiner, TX
Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefish View Post
Gotcha. It never worked that well in my 1200lb boss buck. One tube would have all soybeans and one protein.... Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Prob the difference in a single center funneled feeder like a boss buck vs 3 funnels pulling from each third of the feeder...
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 AM   #38
hillcountryhunter
Ten Point
 
hillcountryhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Jim Wells County
Default

I hunt a 200 acre low fence place surrounded by large ranches. We have been feeding protein for about four years now but never seemed to be able to consistently hold on to our deer. I made the switch to DD at the end of 2016 and we are now seeing more and for the first time are holding the same deer throughout the year. I am not going to say that it is a miracle feed but the deer do seem to prefer it over the other brand I was feeding and they consistently eat it regardless of the range conditions on the ranch. The other thing I have noticed is that we saw more non-typical points last year than ever before. Not sure if this has anything to do with DD or just pure coincidence.
hillcountryhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #39
Beargrasstx
Six Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Would you mind sharing what the other brand was? I just put out DD but was feeding Antler Max 20% with good results. course I am hunting a small parcel of land surrounded by neighbors with 200 to 800 acres but all hunt. I was pulling in a lot deer with the antler max and coons so curious to see what DD does. I really need another protein feeder next to it and see which one the deer empty first consistently but not doing that any time soon$$$
Beargrasstx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #40
hillcountryhunter
Ten Point
 
hillcountryhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corpus Christi
Hunt In: Jim Wells County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beargrasstx View Post
Would you mind sharing what the other brand was? I just put out DD but was feeding Antler Max 20% with good results. course I am hunting a small parcel of land surrounded by neighbors with 200 to 800 acres but all hunt. I was pulling in a lot deer with the antler max and coons so curious to see what DD does. I really need another protein feeder next to it and see which one the deer empty first consistently but not doing that any time soon$$$
I was feeding Purina Antlermax before.
hillcountryhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #41
Beargrasstx
Six Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Richmond
Hunt In: Leon County, Robertson County, and Limestone County....Montana-Colorado
Default

Did yall protein feed year round with the same stuff or mix it up? I ask because some use cotton seed and then quit feeding during hunting season or they feed year round and part of the year is cotton seed and the other part with a pellet. Some use soybeans etc. Trying to gather information to see if your statement of experience (results) I can use to relate to my situation on a small acre place.
Beargrasstx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #42
RINCON
Ten Point
 
RINCON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Default

Smh...now we have moved to barbed wire and B&C
RINCON is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #43
Peyton
Pope & Young
 
Peyton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corsicana
Hunt In: Carrizo Springs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINCON View Post
Smh...now we have moved to barbed wire and B&C


What facts can you add to your opinion? Why are you so mad at Holden and Double Down? Why are you, TKK, and GingiB so butt hurt?
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #44
bukkskin
Eight Point
 
bukkskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pipe Creek/Helotes
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
What facts can you add to your opinion? Why are you so mad at Holden and Double Down? Why are you, TKK, and GingiB so butt hurt?
Peyton, I will chime in here.
First off, I think DD is a GREAT feed. I have fed a lot of it. Second, I love what Bret is doing over on the Holden pasture. It's Awesome!!!
I think what annoys people is the fact that THEY(Holden group) put up high fence to keep the deer from jumping the fence and getting killed by certain neighbors. Then put "LOW FENCE" in every title. It don't bother me, but I can see some peoples point on that.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #45
bukkskin
Eight Point
 
bukkskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pipe Creek/Helotes
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Oh, and to the original question, Yes deer spend more time eating DD than other feeds.
They eat a lot more of it.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #46
RINCON
Ten Point
 
RINCON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
Peyton, I will chime in here.
First off, I think DD is a GREAT feed. I have fed a lot of it. Second, I love what Bret is doing over on the Holden pasture. It's Awesome!!!
I think what annoys people is the fact that THEY(Holden group) put up high fence to keep the deer from jumping the fence and getting killed by certain neighbors. Then put "LOW FENCE" in every title. It don't bother me, but I can see some peoples point on that.

Let’s clarify...you do not line up a fence line with 30+ Temporary feeder pens while you pay for a high fence to be put up to keep deer from jumping out....you do this to get them to jump in.

Frankly I have nothing against the feed...Holden has screwed a lot of people over that have gotten on his lease only to be denied to shoot a buck but when they left after a weekend hunt...Holden’s buddy’s or family shot the deer. It’s a proven fact if you are not in his click you will be used just to fill a spot. Frankly I’m surprised someone hasn’t really whipped his short *ss really good.

And yes he has done a lot a good things for hunts for kids, etc...but if we are gonna call a spade a spade then we will call the whole spade - not just the positive half people want to talk about.

Again I have nothing against the feed...

As far as Peyton ...he seems to get his Napoleon panties in a wad when either Holden or DD gets commented on.
RINCON is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #47
Peyton
Pope & Young
 
Peyton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corsicana
Hunt In: Carrizo Springs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINCON View Post
Letís clarify...you do not line up a fence line with 30+ Temporary feeder pens while you pay for a high fence to be put up to keep deer from jumping out....you do this to get them to jump in.

Frankly I have nothing against the feed...Holden has screwed a lot of people over that have gotten on his lease only to be denied to shoot a buck but when they left after a weekend hunt...Holdenís buddyís or family shot the deer. Itís a proven fact if you are not in his click you will be used just to fill a spot. Frankly Iím surprised someone hasnít really whipped his short *ss really good.

And yes he has done a lot a good things for hunts for kids, etc...but if we are gonna call a spade a spade then we will call the whole spade - not just the positive half people want to talk about.

Again I have nothing against the feed...

As far as Peyton ...he seems to get his Napoleon panties in a wad when either Holden or DD gets commented on.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TKK View Post
Just your post above is a perfect example - butt hurt? No...... just rational people not buying into the hype that you have chosen to buy into

I am not mad at holden or DD. Never said it was not a good feed. If any other feed company was doing the same silly "over promotion" of their feed I would feel the same

What I (and many many others object to) is the over promotion, info commercial type hype that the DD people put out.

Some of us have been around long enough to recognize the exaggeration
when we see it. Some of the sensationalized claims about what this feed does is silly IMO.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of hunters out there cannot put feeders out every 100 acres and do not have an unlimited feed bill. It is very close to being a feed lot whether you want to admit it or not. I have even read claims that "deer will pass up natural browse so they can eat DD feed" - who in their right mind would believe that if you know anything about free range deer?

So for the average hunter, feeding enough DD to produce 200 inch deer will never happen. But the promotion draws people in on the hope that they too can reproduce what Holdens ranch does. I do not like seeing people being taken advantage of and spending their hard earned money on promoters. So if you think that is being "butt hurt" then go ahead and believe that.

Last but not least - if anyone dares to question the miracle feed, the "soldiers" come out in force to bash anyone who dares question their feed - please observe what your response will be to this post - you will prove my point by your response.


Both of yíall have personal grievances or opinions again Holden, but admit he created a good product. Iíve heard your opinions before, but you continue to sí*t on every DD thread on TBH.

I know Brett but I will not be a part of his marketing. Iíve repeatedly told him to tone it down and resisted his requests to use my pics in his advertising. The fact is that he brought a new product to market and there is a lot of exposure in a short time. Maybe his style works. Iím able to look beyond the internetís opinion and evaluate a product compared to its competition. Iíve fed other brands that were inconsistent ingredients, inconsistent availability, and unpredictable. I switched to DD in Ď15 because I was tired of profit dictating the ingredients of the feed I was buying. Highest TDN, higher consumption, and a consistent recipe win in my book. My opinion is that DD is a good, consistent product.

If they hang their hat on LF giants at least theyíre not like Purina or L&E that consistently promote their feed with pics of BREEDER BUCKS.

Yíall can call me all the names you want, it only exposes the weakness of your opinions. I only speak up because you continue to dogpile every thread about DD.

I buy it, you donít. Move on!
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 PM   #48
B&C
Four Point
 
B&C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukkskin View Post
Peyton, I will chime in here.
First off, I think DD is a GREAT feed. I have fed a lot of it. Second, I love what Bret is doing over on the Holden pasture. It's Awesome!!!
I think what annoys people is the fact that THEY(Holden group) put up high fence to keep the deer from jumping the fence and getting killed by certain neighbors. Then put "LOW FENCE" in every title. It don't bother me, but I can see some peoples point on that.
We have 4.5 miles out of 12 LF. Deer contest, B&C and all most everyone would consider it low fence. I do point out that we are HF'd on 3 sides to insure someone might not be mislead into believing we're completely low fenced. Brett has more LF than the haters want to believe.

The marketing techniques of DD annoy many folks and push people to look for things to discredit the product/Brett.

DD is one component in a very successful program on a very special ranch. Many ranch managers wont feed it because its only one ingredient in the recipe for success and it's often promoted as the only ingredient required.

And to answer the original question posted on this thread..... Yes, I believe your deer will be more attracted to it and eat more. Many, many threads out there supporting that claim. Can't wait to see your results.
B&C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #49
bukkskin
Eight Point
 
bukkskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pipe Creek/Helotes
Hunt In: Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&C View Post
We have 4.5 miles out of 12 LF. Deer contest, B&C and all most everyone would consider it low fence. I do point out that we are HF'd on 3 sides to insure someone might not be mislead into believing we're completely low fenced. Brett has more LF than the haters want to believe.

The marketing techniques of DD annoy many folks and push people to look for things to discredit the product/Brett.

DD is one component in a very successful program on a very special ranch. Many ranch managers wont feed it because its only one ingredient in the recipe for success and it's often promoted as the only ingredient required.

And to answer the original question posted on this thread..... Yes, I believe your deer will be more attracted to it and eat more. Many, many threads out there supporting that claim. Can't wait to see your results.
Fair enough, but if you are going to claim "low fence" in every title, then cut ALL the fences down to 4 foot and let the chips fall where they may. Give ALL your neighbors the chance to kill the deer at 3 1/2 yrs old just like all the REAL low fenced places.
Why HIGH FENCE anyone out?
If you want to claim low fence, then BE low fence!!!

Last edited by bukkskin; 04-22-2018 at 11:08 PM.
bukkskin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #50
TKK
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
What facts can you add to your opinion? Why are you so mad at Holden and Double Down? Why are you, TKK, and GingiB so butt hurt?
Just your post above is a perfect example - butt hurt? No...... just rational people not buying into the hype that you have chosen to buy into

I am not mad at holden or DD. Never said it was not a good feed. If any other feed company was doing the same silly "over promotion" of their feed I would feel the same

What I (and many many others object to) is the over promotion, info commercial type hype that the DD people put out.

Some of us have been around long enough to recognize the exaggeration
when we see it. Some of the sensationalized claims about what this feed does is silly IMO.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of hunters out there cannot put feeders out every 100 acres and do not have an unlimited feed bill. It is very close to being a feed lot whether you want to admit it or not. I have even read claims that "deer will pass up natural browse so they can eat DD feed" - who in their right mind would believe that if you know anything about free range deer?

So for the average hunter, feeding enough DD to produce 200 inch deer will never happen. But the promotion draws people in on the hope that they too can reproduce what Holdens ranch does. I do not like seeing people being taken advantage of and spending their hard earned money on promoters. So if you think that is being "butt hurt" then go ahead and believe that.

Last but not least - if anyone dares to question the miracle feed, the "soldiers" come out in force to bash anyone who dares question their feed - please observe what your response will be to this post - you will prove my point by your response.

Last edited by TKK; 04-18-2018 at 07:36 PM.
TKK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com