Guide gratuity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    So what do you consider as "guide stuff"? How can one go above and beyond?
    I help guide on a ranch in south Texas, I make sure my hunter has cold drinks every time we go to the stand. I find out what kind of beer he likes and make sure I bring some. I try to have good relatable conversations and become friends by the end of the trip. I take good care of his game and make sure everything is done how they want it. I try to take a lot of pics that they don’t think about and share them with them, this takes things over the top I think. We also take awesome trophy photos, our hunters smile just as much as they do on their wedding day for trophy photos. We as a guide team work hard to get hunters on bucks, it’s tough in a free range environment but they see us working hard for them.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
      I help guide on a ranch in south Texas, I make sure my hunter has cold drinks every time we go to the stand. I find out what kind of beer he likes and make sure I bring some. I try to have good relatable conversations and become friends by the end of the trip. I take good care of his game and make sure everything is done how they want it. I try to take a lot of pics that they don’t think about and share them with them, this takes things over the top I think. We also take awesome trophy photos, our hunters smile just as much as they do on their wedding day for trophy photos. We as a guide team work hard to get hunters on bucks, it’s tough in a free range environment but they see us working hard for them.

Do you do any videoing? Thinking about doing it for my hunters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishndude;13783907]Same big goon you’re thinking of. [/QUOTEIll guide you !! Where do you need to go?

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
          15% of the cost of the hunt is what I was referring to. Are you saying you tip a flat fee regardless of the cost of a meal?
          When it comes to meals, the wait staff have very little impact to the quality of the food... that is the owner/chef. Why should I tip them more or less based on the cost of the meal? I tip the person, not the check. So yes, based on percentage I over tip, minimally tip, and occasionally under tip based on conventional percentages of a total bill.

You can't equate all hunting situations to restaurants.... but generally speaking if I am going to a ranch, where you have a kill fee... I don't know why I would pay a guide based on a percentage price of the animal I chose to drop. It doesn't feel right. I want to tip based on thier effort. This could mean I overtip, minimally tip, or occasionally under tip based on conventional percentages.

It may seem like I am anti-tipping, I am not. I just don't like the percentage approach based on a value unrelated to the actual service.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote=Leon County Slayer;13783992]
            Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            Same big goon you’re thinking of. [/QUOTEIll guide you !! Where do you need to go?
            Somewhere within 20 yards of 150” deer.

Comment

Thank y’all for the input.

Comment

Been guiding for the past 7 years, on average, it’s been around 12.5%. But let me tell you, like everyone says, it all depends on how the guide treats you. I cater to all my hunters, work my butt off to make sure they have the best experience they can have. It all depends on the how hard they work. I’ve been tipped 100% down to 1%, trust me the 1% wasn’t cause of me.

Comment

Been guiding for the past 7 years, on average, it’s been around 12.5%. But let me tell you, like everyone says, it all depends on how the guide treats you. I cater to all my hunters, work my butt off to make sure they have the best experience they can have. It all depends on the how hard they work. I’ve been tipped 100% down to 1%, trust me the 1% wasn’t cause of me.

Comment

Sorry for double post.

Comment

I spent two seasons guiding in Alaska. Busted my tail for a difficult client who was set on catching a ton of fish every day. I helped him with his casting skills so that he could fly fish all day without pain. Did my best to repair his waders, ( I was unable to with the resources available) and went above and beyond to make sure he had a great trip. At the end of a week of fishing I was handed a $10 bill.

I don’t say this to sound ungrateful, just keep in mind how hard your guide is working and tip based on that. If he does a great job, reward him for it. If he doesn’t, still tip him but don’t give him what you would have otherwise. And most importantly don’t tip based on whether or not you kill, but on how much effort your guide put forth to give you the best opportunity possible.

Good luck on your hunt and I wish you the best!

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
                        Do you do any videoing? Thinking about doing it for my hunters

Yes I video all kills and share them with them, I don’t edit any videos but give them whatever I film.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
                          If he does a great job, reward him for it. If he doesn’t, still tip him but don’t give him what you would have otherwise.
                          Why would you tip someone who didn’t work hard? I haven’t gone in guided hunts but have used a lot of fishing guides and have had excellent guides but slow days and have had guides that just sat on their phones or were bored with their job. I’ve tipped everywhere from 100% to $0. If you don’t work hard at your job in a service industry you don’t deserve a tip

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                            Yes I video all kills and share them with them, I don’t edit any videos but give them whatever I film.

Do you use a go pro and a video cam or just the video cam? I think it would be a cool experience for them to have a tv like experience when on the ranch!

Comment

I tip 20% because of the effort of my guide and because I genuinely like him. I have also learned a lot from him.

Comment

Originally posted by justindiehl7 View Post
                                Do you use a go pro and a video cam or just the video cam? I think it would be a cool experience for them to have a tv like experience when on the ranch!

Just a video cam for now, I would like a go pro to add to the mix tho. I am just not going to edit and put together a film as that takes a lot of time, unless I am getting paid for that service.

Comment

Working...
                                X