No announcement yet.

Ford F150 Powerstroke Diesel #'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2wd gets much better MPG due to high gear ratio's, limiting the towing. Glad to see these trucks improving, now to get them reliable with epa regulations.

Comment

Thinking a base model ecodiesel is a better choice and the new Chevy looks good to. The ecoboost isn't fuel efficient at all. But a 30% increase from my truck would be nice. Also not stopping for fuel for 600 miles would be nice. The throw you in the seat power was fun but on the way to the deer lease I set cruise control so wouldn't notice. Give me a base Model diesel 1500 with good mpg and reliable. That truck would sell

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
        Thinking a base model ecodiesel is a better choice and the new Chevy looks good to. The ecoboost isn't fuel efficient at all. But a 30% increase from my truck would be nice. Also not stopping for fuel for 600 miles would be nice. The throw you in the seat power was fun but on the way to the deer lease I set cruise control so wouldn't notice. Give me a base Model diesel 1500 with good mpg and reliable. That truck would sell
        I've gone 680 on a tank before adding larger tires and lift to my 15' F150 with the 5.0. Heck, I did 600 miles with my current setup and a little tail wind earlier this week.

The diesel numbers are disappointing and as has been said, the numbers don't make sense from a savings standpoint. The cost of maintenance and repairs would exceed that of a gas motor and with increased cost of fuel would eat up all of the savings from improved mpg. The Ecoboost power is great but the mileage is nothing to get excited about. I still don't see any reason for a motor, as a consumer, other than the 5.0 in the F150 line. Tows fine, gets mpg equal to or better than the Ecoboost (towing or unloaded) and it doesn't come with the cost increase of the other motors.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
          I've gone 680 on a tank before adding larger tires and lift to my 15' F150 with the 5.0. Heck, I did 600 miles with my current setup and a little tail wind earlier this week.

The diesel numbers are disappointing and as has been said, the numbers don't make sense from a savings standpoint. The cost of maintenance and repairs would exceed that of a gas motor and with increased cost of fuel would eat up all of the savings from improved mpg. The Ecoboost power is great but the mileage is nothing to get excited about. I still don't see any reason for a motor, as a consumer, other than the 5.0 in the F150 line. Tows fine, gets mpg equal to or better than the Ecoboost (towing or unloaded) and it doesn't come with the cost increase of the other motors.

What kinda mileage do you get towing? Hand calculated I’ve gotten as bad as 9 with the ecoboost. Just curious if you don’t mind sharing?

Comment

I have had four F150’s not past several years, three of them were the 5.0’s and the latest the 3.5 ecoboost. I will not buy another 5.0, the eco pulls the boat considerably better and 2-3 mpg better than the 5.0, to be fair though the newer truck has the 10 speed transmission so that could be making the difference over the previous 5.0’s.

Comment

Mileage with the newer 3.5 and 10 speed transmission is getting 18-19 on average and around 12 pulling a 22’ boat.

Comment

Ford F150 Powerstroke Diesel #'s

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                What kinda mileage do you get towing? Hand calculated I’ve gotten as bad as 9 with the ecoboost. Just curious if you don’t mind sharing?

16' flatbed with a mule running 70'ish is 9-10, but I have very heavy 33" Toyo MT's. Stock tires/wheels was a little better. The attached is a trip to La. unloaded on the way there and driving around with the trailer, the 9.7 was on the way back loaded and loosely adhering to the posted speed limit.

If you tow quite a bit, then the eco boost does tow better however, the mpg difference between the two is a wash in my experience.

Comparing the new 10sp equipped trucks to the previous 6sp isn't a fair comparison. That 10sp is real nice.

Comment

Be interesting to see what a tune and some bolt on would put one at.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post

Looks like you got the upgraded larger fuel tank. My 17' 5.0 not getting close to 600 miles with the smaller tank.

Comment

You have to like the competition for these half ton diesels though. I've been wanting this for years. Tune them and get another 5 mpg's.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                        Looks like you got the upgraded larger fuel tank. My 17' 5.0 not getting close to 600 miles with the smaller tank.

I had no idea they still offered a smaller tank. The 36 gallon tank is nice on the long drives. I drove from Jackson MS to Melissa last week with a 1/4 tank left when I got home.

I bet you could find a 36 gal. tank at a junk yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hmm...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWN7o3yO9nI"]Limp Home! 2018 Ford F150 Diesel takes on the World's Toughest Towing Test - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I had an eco boost and went with a F250 after Harvey. Fuel mileage day to day is identical in both trucks. There are lots of times I want my F150 back.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post

I’m eargerly waiting on the new Chevy diesel info. The engine has the same displacement as the Ford and Ram half ton diesel, but it is a straight 6. It should be smoother running than the competition.

Comment

been too many diesel threads, so I'm not sure if this has been discussed before....

When comparing cost to own, what about the resale value factor of these things? Seems like a huge factor to consider, yet no one really knows how they will do.

After 5 years and 100k miles, if it is worth $5k+ more than the gasser, maybe they make more sense?

Comment

Working...
                                X