Utility Trailer Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utility Trailer Build

I had this 6' trailer axle for almost a year and a half now for a utility trailer build. Finally made myself work on it during the weekends to get it finished. The trailer is a 6x12 with a 2' dovetail. I'm Went with a steel floor and the heaviest expanded metal for the tailgate so I'll never have bowing issues.

The outer frame is 2x3x10GA tubing, with 1.5x3x10GA tubing for the crossmembers.

Dovetail is at a 7 degree angle, shouldn't have many issues with dragging the *** but I'm going to fully enclose the lights anyhow in case.

Tank and his lipstick wanted to be in the pic

Comment

Axle is a 3500 lb. Trailer weight will be less than 1,000 lbs so no problem with overloading it. The most weight this thing will ever see would be a Polaris Ranger.

Got the tongue tacked up, I think that we're going to get the top rail set up before putting the axle under it. The deck has about 1/2" of deflection that I'm hoping to take back out with the top rail.

Comment

We got all the uprights and top rails measured, cut and tacked on. I decided to make the top rail be flat across the whole length instead of following the dovetail, one big job for this one will be to load/unload steel sheets off of some runners up top so that's what will work best for me. I also need to figure out a way to make a pin-held support to attach to my zero turn, I want to be able to load it on, pin it in and go.

I will weld them up over the weekend and take measurements for the floor to be cut on the plasma table.

Comment

Got the jack welded in, tubing and pipe clips for running the lighting, and 10' of the floor welded in today. Still have to design and weld up the fenders, I'm not liking any that I'm finding for sale anywhere.

Comment

we fabbed up the gate and hung it as well as the latches. A few weeks ago I cut the fenders out of 11 gauge floor plate, my 300 lb *** can stand on them without flexing. All that's left is the light enclosures, hookup points, and drilling some holes for running lights and she's ready for paint. Going this week to get it registered

The tailgate is 2x2x11GA on the borders, 3x2x3/16 angle for the lip that touches the ground, and crossmembers are 2x2x14GA on 12" centers. I used the same heavy duty raised expanded metal that we use on our wood grates on grill and smokers, it won't ever need replacing from bending!

Comment

Like all other things I build for myself, it got put into service earlier unfinished to drop off the pit we built for our dad for the next three Christmas'....

Comment

Light enclosures welded up, I decided on 3/16 plate so I'll never worry about breaking them off! I'm gonna have to trim out a little for the reverse lights to fit flush.

Comment

Didn't get to add the last couple things, but I had some dog kennel panels to haul to west tx last weekend so she got a coat of paint and wired up. We will sandblast and powdercoat when we get into the new shop this spring.

Comment

That thing looks stout!

I love the backup lights.

Comment

Very Nice Job!!

Comment

Nice. Like the reverse lights! May have to steal that idea. Maybe add a brush bar to the outside. To keep them looking nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Where did you get those tailgate latches ?.

Nice build. I'm a dauber, wish I had your skills !

Comment

Very nice!! I especially like the dove tail, lights and paint color!!

Hoe many hours and how much $$ do you have in it??

Comment

Working...
                              X