No announcement yet.

Drew JD Murphee gator hunt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The levees have rollers on them. If you have a group of 3 it makes short work getting the boat over. Or if it too heavy they will put you somewhere else so you don't have to cross. Either way, no need to worry. The staff will make it work for you.

Comment

Congrats on the draw!!

Reminded me to check my Pronghorn applications. No surprise but they were all...Pending 2nd Draw.

Comment

Let me know if you need equipment, I have everything you need hooks, lines, poles and stakes. I’m starting a large gator job this week but will be done in time for your hunt.

Comment

I’ve also been on this hunt, 100 % success during that hunt

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
            You can get anything over the levee! If you don't make it first try go faster next time!![emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            that's what I told the boat owner. If troy landry can do it, I got this!!

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
            congrats! Been trying to draw that tag for a while now. Post up pics from your trip. How many years you been putting in?
            I think this was our 4th year to apply. Like pandhandle I know some others that have drawn 2 years in a row

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
            The levees have rollers on them. If you have a group of 3 it makes short work getting the boat over. Or if it too heavy they will put you somewhere else so you don't have to cross. Either way, no need to worry. The staff will make it work for you.
            Its just her and I and that's good to hear. That's been my experience with most of the state run hunts Ive been on.

Originally posted by mossman500 View Post
            I’ve also been on this hunt, 100 % success during that hunt
            That's what I like to see! I'll take any help I cant get from the history channel and youtube

They provide poles and stakes, we need hooks, lines and guns.

Comment

It's a fun hunt. They can assign you a compartment based on what kind of boat you have. The last time we went (2-3 years ago) over half of the WMA was inaccessible unless you had Mud motors or airboat. Even folks with large bay boats can stay in the larger canals and do well. If your boat is a little too heavy to drag over levees with the 2 of you I'd recommend rigging up a come-a-long or pulley system. Don't count out that first afternoon either. It seemed that most of the hunters set their lines, watched them for a short time from the distance then came right in. We set 2 lines and I hunted one with my bow the first evening. Everyone was looking at us crazy when we came in that first evening with a 10'8" & 9'6" gator. It's a fun hunt & the park rangers do their best to put you in an area with good gators.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

We use to duck hunt in the freshwater ponds. There are some huge gators in there. 4 wheeler winch makes it easy to cross the rollers.. we had one on a strap we would hook to the eye on the bow and pull the boat over..

Comment

Do you have to use a set pole line and bait? Or could you livescope one with a big snagging hook on a spinning rod? Seems you could look for a big one and snag him pretty easy!!

Comment

I have been there. First time was with a couple of buddies and we got over fairly easy pushing the boat. I now use a 12v winch and its so easy, just put an earth anchor down and pull. Getting older sucks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                      Do you have to use a set pole line and bait? Or could you livescope one with a big snagging hook on a spinning rod? Seems you could look for a big one and snag him pretty easy!!

HAHAHAA

tell you what, bring that crappie sled down here and we can see about live scoping a big lizard

Comment

Congrats on the draw! Hope y'all get a couple.

Comment

I got drawn too. I haven't been there in about 14 years, so I'm sure things have changed a little. If you can get a bow rigged up it's worth it. Gators are everywhere, literally every 20 feet along the bank just troll along until you find yours. We took a small boat we could put on the bow of mine then threw a trolling motor on it once we had it in our compartment.

Comment

Does pending second draw just mean basically that nothing has changed but there will just be a second date drawn and nobody has been drawn yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post
                              Does pending second draw just mean basically that nothing has changed but there will just be a second date drawn and nobody has been drawn yet?
                              I think it differs from place to place. I've been drawn on stuff after having that status

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post
                                It means you didn't get drawn. If someone that got drawn doesn't pay for their permit then that spot gets redrawn.

Comment

Working...
                                X