TRAPPING 2015 -2016 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
    Badgers come out of the hole backwards...They will most likely push dirt and set the trap off before ever getting close to it.
    The only time I've ever seen one come out backwards is while they're digging. I've seen alot run down and actually turn around inside the hole and poke their head up to look around. I've killed over 100 that did that. They're pretty curious critters. A buddy of mine had one in his garden. He flooded it with the water and busted it in the head with an "idiot stick" when it came out. I've never seen one deliberately back out of a hole though.
    Last edited by okrattler; 12-02-2015, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
      Okay, that is a 5x coon, but for the under informed participating in this thread, describe that coon and how many you catch a year that would fit into that classification. What is the NAFA guideline (in terms of inches) for 5x coon?

I am not calling you out Archer and your post is actually very optimistic to a point...I sold the very first coon (back east) that I ever trapped for $20. That was in the late 70's. The fur market has in no way kept up with inflation over the last 30 years.

To restate my earlier position...if an average coon trapped in East Tx brought $20 or so, I would definately dust off the #11's

A 5x coon is a rarity, because of its size. Out of over 300 coons last year I might have had 7-8 go 5x but for the most part I had 4x and 3x.

Coons are graded by multiple factors, size, color, primness, section.
      Here is a link. http://www.nafa.ca/trapper/Resources...09_Raccoon.pdf

The market is poor for coon prices and we are falling off of a huge high that we saw a few years ago were good coons were bringing 30-40 dollars, those days are gone for now. I had a high of 38 on the last ones I sold with a low of 1.00, my average ended up around 13.00 if I remember right.

Fact is Raccoons pay for the gas, and trapping supplies each year if trapping is a hobby for you, but at the moment I would not sell at NAFA, There is a HUGE surplus of Raccoons with not much hope in sight. I have 114 setting up there from last year that all graded very good and have not sold.

That leaves you two options, sell your finished fur to a local fur buyer for lower prices or send your finished furs to Groenwald wool and fur and let them place a bid on it.

Comment

^^^^ Thankyou for clarification. Good information.

Comment

Raccoons here went from 35 dollars plus for a finished pelt a few years ago to not even being able to get 10 dollars on the carcass. I knew the coon prices were down so I didn't try too hard to catch them last Winter. Coyotes were really good. I got 60 dollars for one finished pelt and 50 for several others. I think I averaged 35 but those were early season coyotes or had some damage (broken guard hair). Coyotes that are "rubbed" I don't even pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
            That leaves you two options, sell your finished fur to a local fur buyer for lower prices or send your finished furs to Groenwald wool and fur and let them place a bid on it.
            The second is not bad because if you don't like their prices they will ship the furs back to you at there cost.... I think

Comment

Brother in law said he threw the rope out there and the coyote ran right into it this morning!

Comment

Originally posted by masters75 View Post

Brother in law said he threw the rope out there and the coyote ran right into it this morning!
                cool pic

Comment

Your bro in law is a bad sonofagun

Comment

Comment

Just saw one of those 5xl coons. Sucker looked like a bobcat at 200 yards through the night vision.

Comment

I first thought he had that yote on a catch pole until I read the caption

You will not see a coyote on the end of a lariat very often

Hope there is video of him getting the yote out of the loop

Comment

Like Tuff said most of the coons I caught where 3XL and 4XL. A 4XL coon is measured from tip of nose to the base of the tail will be between 35" to 38". a 5XL is 38" to 41" and a 6XL is anything over 41". All I was getting at was that our coons do grade and do as good at the sells as the northern coon do when they are prime. Also this season only those 4XL and bigger are going to sell if at all! I love to catch coon but this season it will be only if they get in my dog and cat sets! Those coons that get in those sets are usually the bigger boars that roam about looking for love later in season. Hope this help some!

Comment

Anyone have any luck trapping this weekend? Would love to see some pics

Comment

We went onto a property we have worked on before, ran out a line of coon sets to clear them out before we place k9 sets out.

Pulled 12 total and let two small ones go in two days...no water around just working in wood lots made for a slow time but was nice to see 7 of those were really big boars.

Comment

I have a coon population that is about to be impacted here shortly! I have a rd fox that has shown up on a tail cam, too! Bonus

Comment

Working...
                                X