A question for archery instructors~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for archery instructors~

I've recently been watching a couple of different instructors giving beginning instruction to new archers. One with traditional equipment, one with compound equipment. One started his pupil at 20 yards, one at 30 yards. Both students got frustrated because they had basically no success. The student, female, shooting the traditional equipment at 30 yards was particularly frustrated. She couldn't draw the bow well enough to even consistently launch an arrow 30 yards.

My question is basically this: Why wouldn't an instructor start a student at 10 yards, or even 5 yards? Let the student get the feel of a consistent draw and anchor point, and more importantly, see a few arrows hit the mark and gain some confidence. Then as competency increases, increase the distance and factor in trajectory, etc.

It just seemed backwards to me. But since i saw a couple of instructors teaching that way, i'm wondering if there's a method to the teaching? Just curious.

He didn’t know what he was doing

Comment

I’m not a “certified” instructor but give a lot of instruction. We are shooting ten yards to start whether you’re a beginner or a long timer.

Makes zero sense.

Comment

I’m not an instructor, but I’m with you.

Maybe they couldn’t get any closer due to safety reasons (other shooters on line)? Otherwise I would choose someone else to be my coach.

Comment

Traditional at 30. Wow. I have shot for a few years but 30 is a long ways and you can’t make any firm mistakes. I would of had her at 5-7 yards and bow should be in the 20#-30# range

Comment

10-4. I don't know if the instructors were paid, or just some dudes with a bow. It just seemed backward to me. I guess it is. Oh well...

Comment

I’m a NASP instructor and start my kids at school off at about 5 yards.

Comment

Dummy.

Comment

My son took an outdoor activities class a couple years ago in high school. They started them out around 10 yards with compounds. Anyone can post stuff online. Most don't know what they're doing.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
                    He didn’t know what he was doing
                    This

Comment

neither case was done by an instructor,,,, both were done by someone WHO fancies themselves as an instructor... big difference

Comment

I did the BSA level 1&2 cert when my son was in Cub Scouts/Webelos/Boy Scouts.

I would start them at five to ten yards then gradually move them out. You want to build their confidence. We had one Cub, son of a friend of mine from SA, who wasn't very big or strong. He required a little help and when he hit the target at five yards, he shouted in the Afrikanner accent "I hit it!". That made all of the time and effort spent going through the training worth it.

Some "instructors" are on an ego trip and are a detriment to the future of the sport. Shooting at 30 yards with trad gear as a beginner serves no purpose.
                        Last edited by grizzman; 10-14-2018, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X