PMP Cert, anybody got it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PMP Cert, anybody got it?

Thoughts on its value, usefulness, validity??? I see mixed reviews but looking for some first hand knowledge.

I don't have it but curious as to the answers.

Comment

It’s a cheaper cert. won’t hurt. Use to be a big requirement for a lot of companies now not so much.

If you are in IT, move in the agile direction quickly. SCM cert is becoming the new standard

Comment

My company requires it for PM positions. I took a lot of classes through PMI and was about ready to take the exam when opportunity knocked and I went in a different direction. I got a lot out of the planning and scheduling courses and still use a lot of the principles even though I’m not in a PM position.

Comment

I have had mine for 5 years. I second the comment on Agile certification if you are involved in IT.

Comment

My wife said my certification expired February 28th 1997 at a Hank jr concert at the astrodome.

Oh wait....i miss read

Comment

Don't have it, but about to start working on it.

Yes, it has value.

Add it to your current work experience, and it adds to your marketability for jobs in project management.

For me, I'm ready to get out of operations.

I've had enough of getting 2am phone calls or calls on the weekend that something is broke and needs to be fixed.

Comment

PMP, SCM, CRM.....I have a bunch of them.

My company paid for them all so I took full advantage....Most places want to see at least a PMP to even get a sniff at an interview....

Comment

What kind of role are you looking for and what type of industry?

As someone else said, I don't recommend it for IT companies. The CSM (certified Scrum Master from Scrum Alliance) or PSM (professional Scrum Master from scrum.org) are more highly sought after.

There are still a lot of companies looking for it though. If you do go that direction look into their PMI-ACP. Not as highly sought after as the Scrum Master one's but still shows some agile knowledge.

BTW, I'm an agile coach and when I go into companies to help them become agile, I usually have to break up their pmo organization and some PM's become Scrum Masters, others become Product Owners, or maybe even Program Managers for larger companies and programs. But their Project Management role usually goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                    Don't have it, but about to start working on it.

Yes, it has value.

Add it to your current work experience, and it adds to your marketability for jobs in project management.

For me, I'm ready to get out of operations.

I've had enough of getting 2am phone calls or calls on the weekend that something is broke and needs to be fixed.
                    You need DevOps! PM me, I'll be glad to meet for coffee, lunch, or drinks and we can discuss a few things you can try. Or if you think you can talk others into it, may be able to come in for a chalk talk. I may have a few slides to start the conversation but mostly would be a white board session about your pain points.

Just for a little street credit, here is my session at the Keep Austin Agile conference on Thursday. http://sched.co/DnHp

Here is the generic version of my presentation:
                    Last edited by BigL; 05-21-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I don't have it and don't plan to get it.I don't see the value unless you are new to projects/project management. I took a few courses from PMI. The planning and scheduling stuff was project management 101. The rest was charm school.

Comment

I am not in IT, I’ve been in aviation maintenance/management for the last 20 years. Everything we do is a long term project, just looking to get certified if it will make me more marketable. I’m taking the coursework now and I can’t say that I’m very impressed. It’s mind numbing to say the least. Seems as if the process was followed as designed nothing would ever get finished.

Comment

As stated above - PMP cert does have value and it is a requirement for a lot of employment opportunities and as with my company to maintain our Cisco CMSP accreditation we have to have a PMP on staff, just like a CCIE. With all that said don't stop at PMP but continue on with Agile and SCM.

Comment

Agile being IT centric, correct?

Comment

Every company I have been with, not one has hired someone based on having a PMP. PMP is one of those titles for people who couldn't cut it in the field, but want to prove they know something. It's also become very watered down over the years, and less and less relevant in the construction field. I know because I got mine.

I once had the PMP instructor tell me productivity of a night shift is the same as the day shift. When I showed him industry study after industry study saying otherwise, he said those were incorrect. Even though they are based on fact, not theory.

If my company didn't pay for it, I wouldn't have. If someone is going to hire you because of three letters after your name, not competency, you should look elsewhere. Even a mediocre PM doesn't need the course in order to manage projects successfully.

Comment

Working...
                              X