Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there or can we have a load data sharing thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there or can we have a load data sharing thread?

I’m always looking around the web for load data for different calibers/applications can we make a on going thread that we share load data here? Obviously as most people know all load data should be cautiously worked up to and all firearms should be in good working order. What do y’all think?

Good idea, gonna need a recipe for a 22-250 pretty soon.

Comment

I personally wouldn't get too excited about it. Even two rifles coming off the assembly line next to each other can have different ballistic characteristics. One might shoot best with 58.6 grains and the other with 58.2 grains, or there can be a .00X" difference in headspace and thus bullet seating depth. If you're really reloading for accuracy, I personally don't think there's any such thing as a "good recipe" for a given caliber.

Comment

I was in the accuracy work-up business for several years and one lesson I learned is that rifles and their preference for a "recipe" load are like guys and their preference for beer (or trucks or chicks)---each is different.

So--pick a bullet and powder combo that gives good ballistics, accuracy prep your cases, and do the workup. Either starting with variable propellant charges and a constant seating depth or a constant propellant charge and variable seating depths. Shoot groups, compare results, and refine the load by small changes in charge/seating depth until you got it.

My experience was that a constant charge and a variable seating depth was quicker as once I found the right depth (which controls bullet jump from case mouth to rifling engagement), minor variations in charge were less important.

YMMV.

Comment

Working...
        X