Barrel break-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexaswBOWhunter View Post
    I have followed Manufacturer recommendation, most recently was a Weatherby rifle. No way of knowing if it made a difference or not...

Weatherby's Recommended Barrel Break In-
    "This barrel break-in procedure requires two boxes of ammunition to complete. Start out by shooting one round at a time, cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each round and allowing it to cool. This process should be followed for a total of ten rounds. Then take the remaining thirty rounds and shoot ten three shot groups, cleaning the barrel thoroughly after each group and allowing it to cool completely before firing the next group. Once ten, three shot groups have been fired the barrel is adequately broken in. At this point the rifle can be sighted in and used."

Comment

On my Bergara 300wm you will have to do a break in if you clean the barrel and remove the copper that has seated in. I have stopped cleaning it because of this. For me this is a very tight shooting rifle at my skill level. It is a consistent sub moa rifle with the tightest groupings at 0.45" @ 100. When I clean the barrel the groupings open up to about 1.25" to 1.50" @ 100. Once I run about 20 to 40 rds through it the groupings tighten back up. So now I only clean it once I see my groupings starting to open up and then rerun my break in process that I found that works for this particular rifle.

Comment

^^^^ This

You need copper fouling in the barrel. If you don't ever let it the barrel get fouled you will never reach the accuracy that your gun is capable of.

The copper fouling will cover up any imperfections in the rifling of the barrel and will therefore enhance accuracy until it gets too dirty and then it needs to be cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
          I clean it, zero it, clean it and shoot a couple rounds to get the barrel somewhat dirty again. Then I don't mess with it after that I just hunt.
          This here but i just leave it dirty after zero check. And probably forget to clean it after hunting season is over

Comment

Working...
          X