Banks 275# Gravity Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banks 275# Gravity Feeder

I just got one of these. The reviews were good and for the price I thought it was a good deal. I only have 135 acres so it should carry that depending on what I draw in from the neighbors. Anybody else use them or have any comments. I will set the tubes at 42" as directed unless I hear otherwise. Those aren't my deer just showing what it looks like.
    Attached Files

How much was it? I like that.

Comment

It's actually a 300# according to my invoice and it was $209 from SG.

Comment

Set the tubes at 36" if you can to start. That pic you have the tubes are not 42" it appears.

Comment

I have to set the post and I don't know how to make an 8ft 4x4 adjustable. I can cut it to where it will be 36" but then I would have to pull the post and set a new one to raise it. I can't add on to a 4x4.

Comment

I have my feeder ports at 33" to the bottom and no issues with deer eating. No matter how high you set the ports it will not be coon proof. I trap coons so they are a non-issue.

Comment

They have a sleeve you can buy to deter. Do you think this would help? I don't get up there enough to trap they would be left there for a week at a time in the trap. Guess I could do those spike strips?
              Last edited by Buckslayertx; 02-08-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Very little to deter the coons. You can trap them, posion them, shoot them and use every device known to man to keep them off of your feeder. You may reduce the waste but not eliminate it.

One surefire cure for the coon population...Make their pelts worth $50. Within a few years none of us will have a major coon problem.

BTW-that's a good looking feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckslayertx View Post
                  They have a sleeve you can buy to deter. Do you think this would help? I don't get up there enough to trap they would be left there for a week at a time in the trap. Guess I could do those spike strips?
                  You can try the sleeve but a coon can reach pretty high and they can jump up to grap ahold of the feed ports easily. You can also try to find a piece of 5" or 6" PVC pipe to use instead buying their sleeve.
                  From what I read on the Banks website you need a 4"x4"x8' tall post set in the ground 3'. That leave 5' out of the ground to slide the feeder over when mounting. So part of the post is inside the feeder in a sleeve. You might could cut 6"-8" piece of the top of the post to mount feeder lower. Then set the piece back on top and set the feeder over it to raise it higher I would think. A spacer of sorts. Without seeing the feeder I do not know if that would work.
                  If you only go every weekend then I would trap those night you stay overnight. Get enough DP traps to set in the area close to the feeder.
                  My idea of feeding deer is to have the feed available so all the deer can eat it when they want it. That would include having the feed ports or tray at a height the deer can readily access it.

Comment

When I go up its only to fill feeders and check cams unless I'm hunting. It's a small place so we don't stay up there overnight or even between morning and evening hunts. I guess I could camp a few weekends during the off season just to trap. I'll look at the sleeve inside the feeder itself to see how deep it is for a spacer. Thanks.

Comment

130 acres and that won't last long at all lol. Keep in mind it will hold under 250lbs of protein

We have 140 acres with 2 1000 lb ones and they hammer then both in a month in the peak of the summer

Comment

Working...
                      X