Tacoma - Questions on buying one..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tacoma - Questions on buying one..

Any know how much they mark Tacomas up from dealer invoice?

I have a salesman saying he can sell me one just over dealer invoice.

What would be a good drive out price if MSPR is 38,000?

Hoping with sales down they actually give a decent deal on Tacomas for once.

You don't trust the salesman? Why would you do business with someone you thought was lying to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      You don't trust the salesman? Why would you do business with someone you thought was lying to you?
      LOL

So never buy a car again?

I'll see the dealer invoice. I just need to know (if anyone knows) what the other hidden fees are.

Say the invoice shows 38,000. I'm fine paying 38,500 if they're making $500

I'm not fine paying 38.5k if they have a 1k holdback plus 1k in other fees plus 1k destination fee etc. etc. etc.

Anyone sell Toyota's?

Comment

you can go on toyota site and "build" one with the options you want. This will get you the MSRP. here are sites that has the invoice price. What I have found while looking for a Tundra is that what you see online is generally different than the actual cost because their are things installed at the distribution and also by the dealer. These will be on the window sticker. Go over to the Cedar Park Toyota and look around. Been working with them. on a 47K MSRP, I am about at 39K drive out cost(includes TT&L). Been talking with folks at Charles Maund as well. They sell more volume. Had bad dealings with Boerne Toyota.

Comment

As Huntindad suggested...

I thought I gave you that info on the other thread that you kept arguing about.

Find the thread, go to one of the sites I mentioned and get your invoice prices. Voila! You have that which you are asking.

Comment

I'll make it easy for you:
            Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
            ^^^ This is how you do it! ^^^

For those of you who say everyone is screwed, well...that is crazy. I have NEVER been screwed buying a vehicle.

For those of you who play their game and wait 45 minutes, well I would NEVER sit around for even 20 minutes after the salesman left me to go talk to "his manager"!

I will go to the car lots on a Sunday when they are closed so I won't be bothered by the sales people, and check out the vehicles, look at the window stickers and write down (or take a photo) the various options and their LIST prices, etc. Then I go to the manufacturer's website to see what options are available (colors, interior colors/finishout, electronics, powertrain, and other options. Then I go to one of the websites (Kelly Blue Book, NADA or whatever) that give you the list prices and dealer's invoice costs for each of those options. I then list what vehicle I want, colors, and each of the option packages including the dealer's invoice costs and list (window sticker) prices for each. Total the invoice up in one column and list prices in another column.

Then I either call the sales manager, internet salesman, fleet manager, or in some cases the owner if I know them. I ask them how much over INVOICE do they need to sell me the vehicle I want. If it is more than $500 over INVOICE, I pass on the deal. I used to buy my new cars at $250 over INVOICE, but I have gotten to feeling sorry for for them and offer them a little more . Window sticker price NEVER enters my conversation!

Often the color of the vehicle I want is not in their inventory, so I give them a copy of my list of options, and they will locate the vehicle at another dealership and swap out with that dealer. I bought a new GMC P/U locally (Longview) once that the dealer located in Arkansas, and they had that truck delivered. Paid $500 (or less?) over INVOICE. You can also search online for all the dealers in your area to see if they have what you want. Start with that dealer.

I have dealt with a salesman before, but I tell them right up front that I am ready to buy a vehicle, already know exactly what I want, don't want to waste their time and energy, and I will not play a game of back and forth. I tell them to go right then and see if their manager will accept $250-$500 over invoice. If not, I thank them and go somewhere else.

The invoice price is actually usually higher than what the dealers wind up paying for the vehicle due to their rebates, special deals, etc. That is why they will usually (not always) deal with me. The key is to do your homework ahead of time and be ready to make a deal right then. You should have your financing already lined out or even accept theirs if the rate is especially low, which it usually has been the last 10-15 years. Usually, it helps to make the deal toward the end of the month/quarter because they are trying to make their quotas.

Oh, and I NEVER accept any of their add-on junk, nor have I EVER let them sell me an extended warranty. Why would I want to pay for a warranty that would not even be effective until after the new car warranty expires?

I have only traded in my used vehicle once because I did not want to mess with selling it at that time, but every other time I have sold my used vehicle by owner, saving me several thousand dollars.
            Here is one site that should give you the invoice prices:

Shop for new cars and used cars at Kelley Blue Book. Find and compare thousands of new, used, and CPO cars, and get the KBB Fair Purchase Price for the car you want to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
              you can go on toyota site and "build" one with the options you want. This will get you the MSRP. here are sites that has the invoice price. What I have found while looking for a Tundra is that what you see online is generally different than the actual cost because their are things installed at the distribution and also by the dealer. These will be on the window sticker. Go over to the Cedar Park Toyota and look around. Been working with them. on a 47K MSRP, I am about at 39K drive out cost(includes TT&L). Been talking with folks at Charles Maund as well. They sell more volume. Had bad dealings with Boerne Toyota.
              I guess I'll see what they go down to on a Tacoma. Was hoping someone here worked and sold them so I'd know for sure.

I'd be thrilled if I could get a top notch Tacoma with 42k sticker for 35-36k drive out.

Is that 39k below dealer invoice David? Or do they mark up Tundras a ton from invoice?

And is the destination fee BS or does everyone pay it? I thought it used to be $500 but I now see it's $1,100 Obviously the total price is negotiable. But if I talk them down to "x" dollars I want to know what fees I can say NO to in the finance office.
              Last edited by RiverRat1; 04-13-2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Randy....Here's the issue with your "help" I'm not that smart

Example from KBB on a 4x4 Tundra

Invoice - 37,000
                Fair market value 35,600 - 38,700
                MSRP - 39,900

So how would HuntinDads pricing fit into that at all? 47k MSRP but drive out is 39k

Comment

Burnadell has straightforward and logical advice. There is no secret to buying vehicles, you just need to use common sense like Burnadell laid out and not let your emotions enter into the equation.

I was looking at Tacoma's online over the weekend and dealers in my area have the TRD Offroad 4x4's that sticker at around $45,000 marked down to just over $40,000. Is that all you can get them to do? Probably not but you should be able to get a couple thousand more off that price without too much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    Any know how much they mark Tacomas up from dealer invoice?

I have a salesman saying he can sell me one just over dealer invoice.

What would be a good drive out price if MSPR is 38,000?

Hoping with sales down they actually give a decent deal on Tacomas for once.
                    About 29,800

Invoice ain't gonna tell you all you need to know. They make a lot on the add ons. All trucks I have looked at have floor mats, spray on bed liner & are tinted as well as protection packages already installed. They ain't cheap either.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      Randy....Here's the issue with your "help" I'm not that smart

Example from KBB on a 4x4 Tundra

Invoice - 37,000
                      Fair market value 35,600 - 38,700
                      MSRP - 39,900

So how would HuntinDads pricing fit into that at all? 47k MSRP but drive out is 39k

discounts that Toyota has(regional) and dealer

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                        About 29,800

Invoice ain't gonna tell you all you need to know. They make a lot on the add ons. All trucks I have looked at have floor mats, spray on bed liner & are tinted as well as protection packages already installed. They ain't cheap either.
                        If I can get 20% of MSRP as my drive out price I'd be happy.

Comment

Pretty easy if you follow this:
                          There are plenty of great tips to follow in order to make the right choice and get the top deal, and dealers have a few of their best tips to share.

Comment

I bet if you go down there on a full stomach.....they'll get tired of answering your questions after 4 hours and give you the deal you want just to get you out of the showroom.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Working...
                              X