AC Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Help

AC went out yesterday, system is 2 years old. I called my buddy that installed it and he couldn't get out until today around noon. Found a blown fuse and couldn't determine what caused the fuse to blow. Replaced it and called it. I stayed home for a little over an hour and it ran fine, house cooled off, I went to work. Wife just got home and it's not running again. Any ideas what would/could be causing the fuse to keep blowing?

Which fuse?

Comment

It's a little automotive looking blade fuse inside the unit that is up in the attic.

Comment

Check filter and coils. If they are dirty or choked up it could be heating up and popping fuses. Probably just some small part going out that is creating a short.
        Last edited by whiplash; 08-27-2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Just changed the filters less than a month ago, the outside unit has some leaved collected in the bottom of it but I wouldn't think it's enough to cause it to overheat.

Comment

Drainage also. Check your pan. Some units will short if not draining properly. Almost like a float.

Comment

Drain pan is dry, drain pipe is not clogged.....sorry I should have listed everything I've already tried.

Comment

bump........any other ideas before calling someone out with after hours fees? The friend that did the install owns his own company and can't be back out until after 2pm tomorrow. I hate the thought of calling another company but the wife is ******!!!

Comment

Put another fuse in it tonight to get the house cooled off, and then wait for your buddy to get to it tomorrow and troubleshoot it. Saves you a ton of Maloney and gets you through the night.

Comment

Transformer fuse. Do you have any dogs outside? Check the stat wire going to outdoor unit. Animals will chew it outside.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                      Put another fuse in it tonight to get the house cooled off, and then wait for your buddy to get to it tomorrow and troubleshoot it. Saves you a ton of Maloney and gets you through the night.
                      This is what I'm leaning towards as well. Just talked to 2 other companies and one was $150 service fee for after hours, the other was $95.

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                      Transformer fuse. Do you have any dogs outside? Check the stat wire going to outdoor unit. Animals will chew it outside.
                      Outside unit is in the front yard.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                        Beat me to that thought.

I’d also check through the attic bc mice will eat up the exposed t stat wiring. That fuse is o the control board and it’s saving you big money before the board gets fried. I would turn it off and call someon out before it gets worse.

Comment

Contactor in the outside unit is dirty or bad, have 240V on input side and nothing on output side. I can push the button down manually and the unit comes on. Gonna blow it out with air compressor as I see spider webs in it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X