Need help improving my accuracy.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help improving my accuracy.....

I've been trad shooting for a couple of months now and got to wondering if I should shoot with one eye closed? Would this improve my accuracy? With my compound I shoot with both eyes open and since I started up with my recurve I use this method as well.......it seems to opens up my field of vision. I feel like my trad shooting has improved but I still have a ways to go and am trying to get better. Any input would be great, thanks.

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
    I've been trad shooting for a couple of months now and got to wondering if I should shoot with one eye closed? Would this improve my accuracy? With my compound I shoot with both eyes open and since I started up with my recurve I use this method as well.......it seems to opens up my field of vision. I feel like my trad shooting has improved but I still have a ways to go and am trying to get better. Any input would be great, thanks.
    In a word...No!

I taught myself to shoot as well as I could from the Boy Scout manual when I was a boy. I didn't know anyone who shot a bow and my Grandfather taught me to shoot a rifle (aiming with one eye closed). It just seemed right that I should aim a bow the same way.

That's the way I shot for many, many years not knowing any better until I got around other Trad shooters fairly late in life.

I wasn't bad in comparison, but had a long way to go to become competitive. I started reading and teaching myself to shoot instinctively. When I decided to stop aiming with one eye (or aiming period with both eyes) it was definitely one-step-forward and two-steps-back for awhile. It wasn't too long though until my shooting did indeed improve.

Don't aim it like a rifle. Get a copy of "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson and take it one chapter at a time.

Comment

Both eyes open

Comment

Been wondering about this myself.

I have been using the Byron Ferguson book.

Both eyes open, shooting instinctively, split finger, bow canted - I hit where I'm looking (or close) every once in a while.

Just got a new tab, one eye open, 3 under, bow straight up - WAY less gap or point-under target, and much tighter groups and accuracy.

Still trying to find the right combination

J.P.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I will order Byron Ferguson's book.....I have seen it recommended on a couple of other threads. I have learned alot from the sticky's posted above but I'm sure I could learn more from the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Lefty View Post
            Thanks for the advice. I think I will order Byron Ferguson's book.....I have seen it recommended on a couple of other threads. I have learned alot from the sticky's posted above but I'm sure I could learn more from the book.
            It's a great book and has definitely helped me out.

Comment

I know guys who are very good shots both ways.Shoot the way its most comfortable for you.I tried shooting all sorts of ways for about 2 years when I started shooting trad before I finally settled in on the way I was most comfortable shooting!
              Last edited by ShaBow; 04-05-2012, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                I know guys who are very good shots both ways.Shoot the way its most comfortable for you.I tried shooting all sorts of ways for about 2 years when I started shooting trad before I finally settled in on the way I was most comfortable shooting!
                This.

Comment

Both eyes open. Close one up and it will interfere with your depth perception.

Comment

I have to draw with both open but close my left when I'm ready to loose the arrow (right handed). I have a very small window on my bow and if I don't cant the bow slightly and close my left eye I tend to shoot left.

Comment

Working...
                    X