Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone bought cars from Hertz or other car rental places ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a friend that works for Hertz and gets to drive there vehicles for personal use. I'd make sure to check the hours on the vehicle you want to purchase. His runs all day sometimes.

Comment

No way!

Comment

We bought a Grand Cherokee that had 20K on it several years ago from a dealer lot. I did not know it was a rental when we bought it, and if I had, I might not have bought it. It had over 250K on it when we sold it, no problems with it besides alternators and normal stuff that will fail on any car. When you think about it, rental cars are very well maintained. Yes, you might get a few people that mistreat it. Driving too fast, braking or turning too hard, but that is not going to tear it up. If someone does actually damage something, it gets fixed. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Comment

I have purchased 3 vehicles from Car Max and from what I have been told, pretty much most of their fleet is used rental fleets. Knock on wood, no issues at all from any of the 3 other than tires and brakes.

Comment

I’ve bought them and currently drive a loaded 2017 suburban that I bought for way less than new when it had about 40k miles on it from Avis. Had a full diagnosis run on it and it turns out whoever rented it kept it for 9 months and only used it to go to three places. The logs showed that he/she was a much better driver than I am

these cars all have a computer in them, right?

For that reason, I drive and treat my rental like I do any of my other cars.

Comment

As a very frequent, 3 weeks out of the month business traveler for the past 27 years, I would have no problem buying a used rental car. They perform the regular maintenance on them and keep them clean. Keep in mind that most rental car customers are business travelers and not as inclined to abuse them. At least, that is what I have seen in my experience.
              I would much rather purchase that way if buying used than from a dealer where you have absolutely no idea where the car came from or it's history of how it was treated on a daily basis.
              We did buy out daughter's first car from Carmax and it was an easy buying experience with a good warranty but again, they get those used cars from somewhere and a lot of them come from rental car companies. We had great experience with it.

Comment

Bought a 2017 expedition from Carmax that was from a rental company. Had 20k on it and was in extremely good condition, has been a very nice vehicle wiith nearly 50k on it now.

There were quite a few expeditions while we were looking and everyone was nearly the same price and all had roughly 20k miles. I’d be willing to bet most of the bigger vehicles were rented for 1. Business related or 2. Long highway mileage family vacations
                Both of those options I wouldn’t think the renter abused them much.

I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again under certain circumstances.
                Ex.No way I’d a convertabe sports car from a rental because chances are it was ragged.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  I'm right the opposite. If it is borrowed or rented, I will take better care of it that if it was mine. I will normally try to return borrowed stuff better than I got it. I was taught growing up if you borrow something and it breaks or damage it, you go buy a new one to return. There was never an exception to this rule. Maybe dad just didn't want me borrowing stuff, but it stuck. It has happened to me with many tools, ladder, a lawn mower, and some other stuff I can't think of right now. While I wouldn't go buy a rental company a new car if something happened to it, my insurance might. I would never tear something up or treat something worse because it didn't belong to me.
                  That’s how I am as well. I would never purposely abuse anything rented or borrowed.

Originally posted by WCB View Post
                  We did years ago. Left a bad taste in my mouth so I won't buy another. I think...
                  Ended up buying a relative’s late model car that she had just purchased from a dealer. Her health suddenly failed and so she could no longer drive or own a vehicle. It didn’t end up exactly being a lemon, but it had plenty of mechanical issues not long after purchasing it. Somehow the fact it had once been in a wreck when leased or rented, was not reported.

Comment

I would have said no 10 years ago but not anymore.

Most can be had certified or with the remaining factory warranty and most rental service/maintenance programs are better than most consumers.

Comment

I don’t understand the drive it like you stole it. The way I drive is the was I drive. Be it, my own, a rental, or a friends.

Comment

Never have. Never will. Bad buy imo

Comment

News flash;:::: The vehicles they.dont sell to individuals go to dealers who sell them as lease program returns or low milage trade ins.

Comment

I wouldn’t have any issues buying a sedan that was previously part of a rental fleet. I would stay away from the sports cars though. I rented a challenger last year. I was chatting with the guy running the exit booth and he said that my rental was the last one. They were getting rid of the challengers because idiots were taking them and burning the tires off of them, doing burnouts I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

minuswhale buy one of those old dps cars

Comment

I'll pass on a rental.
                                [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Yjv-eCrNY"]They Rent a U-Haul To Do burnouts - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                                X