No announcement yet.

DIY Bass Lake....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the boys are back at work today. I'm stuck in the office while they're playing on rented iron. They were nice enough to send me this pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0542.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	24305280

Sounds like they're making a few more peninsulas, points, and a couple humps in the shallows.

Comment

Heading out on Sunday to get back at it. Water level didn't come up as much as they hoped with the rain the week before, but they kicked the well on last weekend.

Comment

This is one awesome fishing hole yall have going here. Yall may have already subscribed or found them online but Pond Boss is a great informational magazine and their website gives great info for building, developing and maintaining ponds/lakes like the one yall are making.

Comment

When is the pond/lake expected to get to full pool? Do you think it will happen by next spring, or by end of June?

Comment

Great looking set-up. Hope they let you use it whenever you want for all the work you are putting into it...

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
              This is one awesome fishing hole yall have going here. Yall may have already subscribed or found them online but Pond Boss is a great informational magazine and their website gives great info for building, developing and maintaining ponds/lakes like the one yall are making.
              We call the owner "boss man" so it is fitting that now he's the pond boss

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
              When is the pond/lake expected to get to full pool? Do you think it will happen by next spring, or by end of June?
              I have no idea, but the well makes good water and I'll take a few pics this weekend to see how much it has come up in a week.

Originally posted by centxag View Post
              Great looking set-up. Hope they let you use it whenever you want for all the work you are putting into it...
              Owner is good as gold and treated me like family since the day we met. Couldn't ask for a better friend and I'm happy to do help him work on this and any other project whether I use it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                Following this one. Very cool indeed.
                Originally posted by Blast-n-cast View Post
                pretty cool
                Originally posted by Str8 arrow View Post
                Looks awesome!!!
                Originally posted by Shane924 View Post
                Can't wait to see the finished product.
                Appreciate y'all following along.

Originally posted by Wayno View Post
                I can see Bill Dance out there in his full size bass boat dragging a 10 lb bass back and forth trying to make it jump.

Lots of work, but it'll be awesome when it's done.
                Bill Dance has caught more 3lb 10lbers than most of us could in a lifetime of campfires.

Originally posted by FattLip View Post
                I'm really enjoying this thread.
                Thanks.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                It should have caught some water the last couple weeks too.
                Dale, in a year from now we need to talk fishing rights as a trade for a good deal on fishing condos.

Originally posted by DoubleGProstaff View Post
                That's cool. Wish I could build a pond on my hillcountry ranch
                Lots more rock to deal with your direction. A friend of ours rebuild a tank **** on his place in the hill country and they were able to use all the big rocks and ledges that came naturally in the draw into one heck of a fishing hole.

Originally posted by TexasTealHunter View Post
                I am severely jealous of this! gonna be sweet once its all ready to rip lips. Coolest thing ever, i'd be down to help test it out
                That list seems to get longer every single day.

Originally posted by muley4x4 View Post
                Awesome!!!!!!!! That's down right beautiful!
                Appreciate it.

Comment

Got out there this weekend and worked on the lake a little bit. Took a bunch of pictures, but for some reason my phone was acting up and most are blurry. The water level has come up about 3' from the last time I was there. Lake looks different and it was teaming with bait. Pretty amazing how quickly bait can multiply when there aren't any predators.

Enough talking, on with the pictures.

This is the road up to the lake from below the spillway. You just catch a glimpse of the boat house.

Name:	20140526_063340_resized.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	24306503

Here's the boat house as you crest the spillway. They angled the walkway to get the boathouse pointed at the prevailing wind. Worked perfectly this weekend. Sure felt great to have the wind blowing across the water and onto you while sitting on the dock.

Name:	20140525_144520_resized.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	24306504

View from along the d@mn. The little ledge hanging off the front corner is a swim ledge. It will be under 1-2" of water when its full.

Name:	20140526_063901_resized_1.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	24306505

Two stalls and room for two more. We cut cedar trees this weekend and stuffed them under the dock as habitat for the bait fish.

Name:	20140526_064411_resized_1.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	24306506

Inside of the tackle room

Name:	20140525_145018_resized.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	24306507

Outside of the tackle room

Name:	20140525_144638_resized.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	24306508
                  Last edited by Ride_Klein; 05-27-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]624004[/ATTACH]
                    View from the dock looking South over the water. We added a couple cedars to the tip of the brush pile just right of the hump covered in logs and rocks.

[ATTACH]624005[/ATTACH]
                    Standing on the d@mn looking from the dock and then down the lake.

[ATTACH]624006[/ATTACH]
                    From the South side of the d@mn

Comment

[ATTACH]624008[/ATTACH]
                      The pictures of minnows didn't come out, but this bunch of tadpoles shows the kind of groups that were everywhere.

[ATTACH]624009[/ATTACH]
                      Water is starting to cover the kids "honey hole"

[ATTACH]624010[/ATTACH]
                      Looking down the North bank from one of the fish feeder piers.

[ATTACH]624011[/ATTACH]
                      This is an island that is just south of the fish feeder pier. Big cut in front of it with the burned layover log is completely covered and the fish boxes are just peaking above the water between the two trees.

[ATTACH]624012[/ATTACH]
                      Biggest reason this lake was built was for the kids. They wore out the trolling motor "tubing" all weekend. The oldest could give a Bassmaster pro a run for their money in the trolling motor department.

Comment

Looks like a great place, everyone there is truly blessed.

Comment

This has been one of my favorite threads of TBH so far. Thanks for all the updates.

It seems like y'all really did the research and have clearly put in the time and its going to become a fishing mecca, with a splash or two of duck hunting maybe.

Enjoying all the pictures and posts, keep em coming

Comment

What a cool project!!! Building a lake like that from start to finish is one of my dreams.

Not sure where you guys have gotten you stocker fish from so far, but Overton Fisheries on I45 between Buffalo & Centerville might me a place to consider for your bass. Their "Camelot Bell" strain might be of intereset.

Texas Lake & Pond Fish Stocking, Lake & Pond Management, Live Fish Market, Fish Delivery, Lake & Pond Management Products & Services, Texas fish hatchery

I'll agree with others as well that waiting 1yr from stocking forage to stocking predators (LMB) is ideal.

Comment

That is a sweet looking setup. My only concern would be the fact the cabin is built below the da m line. In a bad flood I see that thing going under water. Even with a good spillway it can happen. I hope its just the pics but it looks to be lower than top of the da m. 4-5 years ago my folks 7 acre pond crested the dam even with a 20' wide spillway that was 4' below the top of the dam. They had to re do the whole da m due to it eroding the backside of the da m once it spilled over. Basically more coming in than could escape and caused a massive headache. We never thought it would happen. Cost 30k to fix

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                                Looks like a great place, everyone there is truly blessed.
                                Thank you. Been a lot of fun so far and definitely blessed to be a part of it.

Originally posted by The General View Post
                                This has been one of my favorite threads of TBH so far. Thanks for all the updates.

It seems like y'all really did the research and have clearly put in the time and its going to become a fishing mecca, with a splash or two of duck hunting maybe.

Enjoying all the pictures and posts, keep em coming
                                Appreciate the compliments and thanks for following a long.

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                                What a cool project!!! Building a lake like that from start to finish is one of my dreams.

Not sure where you guys have gotten you stocker fish from so far, but Overton Fisheries on I45 between Buffalo & Centerville might me a place to consider for your bass. Their "Camelot Bell" strain might be of intereset.

Texas Lake & Pond Fish Stocking, Lake & Pond Management, Live Fish Market, Fish Delivery, Lake & Pond Management Products & Services, Texas fish hatchery

I'll agree with others as well that waiting 1yr from stocking forage to stocking predators (LMB) is ideal.
                                The owner has a fish guy he really likes. Guy seems to have steered him right in the past. The Bass that are going in are all fry size as I understand it.

Originally posted by Aboud View Post
                                That is a sweet looking setup. My only concern would be the fact the cabin is built below the da m line. In a bad flood I see that thing going under water. Even with a good spillway it can happen. I hope its just the pics but it looks to be lower than top of the da m. 4-5 years ago my folks 7 acre pond crested the dam even with a 20' wide spillway that was 4' below the top of the dam. They had to re do the whole da m due to it eroding the backside of the da m once it spilled over. Basically more coming in than could escape and caused a massive headache. We never thought it would happen. Cost 30k to fix
                                The dock is definitely below the level of the da m. The spillway is pretty large on this one and the water level has been shot all around the lake with a transit. At full pool the dock will be just a 5 inches above the water line so the risk for the water level getting over the dock is a real one. The calculations beyond that are above my pay grade.

Comment

Working...
                                X