Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck of a deer! Congrats

Comment

12 days is pretty quick. After mounting a deer I wait a minimum of 2 1/2 weeks before painting. Most of the times 3

Comment

Originally posted by coon007 View Post
        [ATTACH]899675[/ATTACH]

Weird looking elk . Assuming that's previous work. But again without a price point and better pics it's hard to say. A guy could take on $1000 whitetails and churn then out as a side gig in a couple weeks because he's good and it's not his main dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
          Looks good to me...
          This bull must have been taken in the rut because he looks happy

Comment

$550 is what he charges, also I have deer that he mounted for me that are ten years old and they look good as new
            Last edited by coon007; 03-07-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

$550 is what he charges, also I have deer from him that are ten years old and they look good as new
              Might have found the needle in a haystack then. My point was not to be a **** head just that quality/turnaround/price don't go together. It's it a side biz?

Comment

He must be using capes that aren't yours or he figured a miracle way of curing and preserving them

Comment

Originally posted by TexMax View Post
                  Might have found the needle in a haystack then. My point was not to be a **** head just that quality/turnaround/price don't go together. It's it a side biz?
                  no, he is a full time taxidermist.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                    He must be using capes that aren't yours or he figured a miracle way of curing and preserving them
                    he has his own personal tannery in house and a couple of guys working the hides

Comment

12 day's WOW. Mine's gonna take right around 12 months at a shop in Lufkin based on his current workload

Andrew

Comment

Wow fine job!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	24531737

here's another buck he mounted for me this year at the same time frame and price

Comment

no, he is a full time taxidermist.
                            he has his own personal tannery in house and a couple of guys working the hides
                            Fair enough. For your sake don't share the name

Comment

The guy that does ours takes 6 weeks or so, max? Always has them back before Christmas. He does it kind of on the side & charges $275.

My wife isn’t a big shoulder mount in the house fan, so we’ve been doing euro mounts. He charges $50 for them and has them done in a couple days.

Comment

I can't say it's impossible, because you claim to be living proof that he can turn a mount in 12 days, but to properly tan a skin, even in house, takes at least a week. If he pulled it straight out of the tan, measured it and ordered the properly sized manikin, add another 2 days for it to be shipped to his shop. Half a day to mount it, on average. I let all my stuff dry for at least 2 weeks, before I do the finish work, to make sure nothing moves after the finish work is done (which can happen if it's finished before completely dry). Finish work is another few hours.

Stick your finger, in the ear canal, when you get it. IMO, if it's cool, it's still not dry and was finished before it should have been.

I'd be interested to see some good, well lit, close up pictures of the ears, eyes, lips and nose of this mount, when you get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X