Broadheads for Low Poundage Bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadheads for Low Poundage Bows

My son is pulling 43 pounds and shooting 100gr Slick Tricks. It's been my go-to point for years with great success.

anyway, he's hit two deer in the last 10 days with not so good results. I was pretty happy with shot placement on both, but very little penetration.

I'd love to hear your experience and suggestions, as well as reasoning behind your choice.

Thanks!

Magnus Stinger. If you double lung a deer, with 43 lbs out of a modern compound that's tuned correctly, it should zip through a deer like a hot knife through butter. COC - don't have to push that chisel tip through any hide or tissue.

Comment

Any cut on contact like the Magnus stinger should do..

Comment

Slick Trick 100 grain Standards 1" cut instead of 1 1/8" cut. The Standard was originally designed for lower poundage and traditional bows.

The Viper Trick would work well as it is kind of hybrid between a chisel tip and a cut on contact.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Viper Trick.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	24521498
        Last edited by Arrowsmith; 11-27-2017, 10:48 AM.

Comment

100 gr quad exodus or ramcats

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
            Magnus Stinger. If you double lung a deer, with 43 lbs out of a modern compound that's tuned correctly, it should zip through a deer like a hot knife through butter. COC - don't have to push that chisel tip through any hide or tissue.
            Agreed. In 2007 after my second back surgery I shot a doe with a 43# longbow and a Magnus head and though I didn't get a complete passthrough, I did get two holes. If a longbow can do that a modern compound should have no issue. Last year I was shooting a 50# Elite Synergy due a 2nd bicep surgery (I have had way too many surgeries) and got a complete pass through on a doe with Solid Legends. But those are very expensive, so not for everybody.

Comment

My wife and daughter shoot a Rage hyperdermic +p. The wife had a pass through on a 187 lb buck this season. My daughter killed two does with them. Both pass throughs on a 45 lb bow

Comment

I really like my Magnus stingers. I’m not shooting low poundage, but as far as mechanical advantage in a COC head, Magnus is hard to beat for $40 a package.

Comment

Magnus stinger

Comment

I would:

See how fast he is shooting... Chronograph.
                    Make sure bow is tuned...paper.
                    Figure out his kinetic energy... calculator.
                    Go with a SHARP 2 blade head.
                    Arrows are critical to. (This is as important as the broad head). Thinner arrow with weight up front may help to. Like Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce.

Poundage is important, but it isn’t the end all be all. It can vary what it does from bow to bow. Draw length is a factor as well.

Keep the shots 15 yards and in if possible is big to...more energy and less chance of the deer moving.

Video the shot.
                    Last edited by Miller; 11-27-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Because of a bad a bad shoulder I am at 40# and use slick trick magnum 100's and have had no problems. I hit a doe a little high and forward. Arrow glanced off the shoulder and out the other side. Deer went a bout 20 yards and piled up. The broad head had actually cut the bone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                        My son is pulling 43 pounds and shooting 100gr Slick Tricks. It's been my go-to point for years with great success.

anyway, he's hit two deer in the last 10 days with not so good results. I was pretty happy with shot placement on both, but very little penetration.

I'd love to hear your experience and suggestions, as well as reasoning behind your choice.

Thanks!
                        Magnus stinger smooth edge,, nothing is better, period! do not reduce arrow weight to gain speed it will not help, increased weight will increase penetration, and do not worry about ke it also does not matter especially with a true coc head like the stinger
                        Last edited by xman59; 11-27-2017, 11:00 AM.

Comment

47 lbs and I use 100 grain Slick Tricks because I like the way they fly. I also put a weighted insert in my arrows so there's an extra 50 grains up front. If I hit the opposit shoulder or ribs I usually don't get complete pass throughs on large deer but if it's a double lung or heart shot they don't go more than 100 yards anyway (and typically much less) and I get very easy to follow blood trails, even without a pass through.
                          I've killed 11 deer with this set up so far this year and only one time I didn't get a pass and there was no blood but the buck only made it 50 yards.

Comment

47 lbs and I use 100 grain Slick Tricks because I like the way they fly. I also put a weighted insert in my arrows so there's an extra 50 grains up front. If I hit the opposit shoulder or ribs I usually don't get complete pass throughs on large deer but if it's a double lung or heart shot they don't go more than 100 yards anyway (and typically much less) and I get very easy to follow blood trails, even without a pass through.
                            I've killed 11 deer with this set up so far this year and only one time I didn't get a pass and there was no blood but the buck only made it 50 yards.

Comment

Do you find the Stinger 2 blade fliy like field points?

Also, I saw they have an 85gr. Any reason to drop that 15 grains?

Comment

Working...
                              X