Dead bucks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead bucks...

We have found two dead buck skulls that look like they died late last year. we hunt in the Cayuga/crossroads part of Anderson County. Is anyone else finding dead deer? We've seen several coyotes chasing deer, and you hear them in packs every night. Shot 4 already this year. Was just curious if anyone else was having a predator/virus problem?
    Attached Files

did you find them in creek beds or near water

Comment

Rut is hard on bucks. Jan/Feb mortality (post rut) is high. Just my guess....

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
        did you find them in creek beds or near water
        this....

Comment

Lots of deer die each year - nothing abnormal about it at all

Comment

No, they weren't found near creeks or water. I'm thinking the large amount of coyotes picked them off after rut, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Codie View Post
              Lots of deer die each year - nothing abnormal about it at all
              sad but true...

Comment

those might be a couple years old. they sure look bleached out to be from last year. either way it doesn't hurt the deer population to kill every coyote you see....

Comment

Those are at least a couple of years old, but over the last couple of months I have been finding dead deer at more than one of my leases. We have found 2 bucks and a doe that have died at my place in Cherokee county and 3 deer (1 doe two unknown) at my place in San Augustine county. Neither place is over populated and we have no idea what is causing this. I seriously doubt this is poacher related and there is no telling how many more could be laying dead in the woods because all that we have found we just happened to walk by.

Comment

IDK about a couple years old, The bottom one looks like one that we saw early November last year.... wide, short tined, and thick... However, all our bucks have a pretty close genetic makeup

Comment

i also have found at least 3 other skulls out there tho, 2 does and 1 button buck. Both those bucks were found close to thick brush.

Comment

I found one this year also in Anderson County. We are just out of Elkhart. The one I found was a nice 11 point.

Comment

Stickemhard, you didnt tell me about those.... It's making for a nice skull setup at camp

Comment

both look to be about 2 yr old (how long they have been dead) idk just how it looks to me.

Comment

Working...
                            X