Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Overnight Kayak and Camp on the Upper Guadalupe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
    Great video! I’m guessing y’all stayed on Saturday night as we were at my sister in laws ranch in Comfort Sunday evening and a heck of a storm came through! Wouldn’t have wanted to be in a hammock...]
    I watched that storm roll through on radar as we drove back to Bryan Sunday night. Grateful it hit AFTER we got off the water.

Comment

Actually, we camped Friday night. But, we were off the river when the storms rolled in!
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        It was 69.5 the day before, but was supposedly going to be around 75 the day we launched (at Comfort). Y'all have fun! We may be in the neighborhood!
        Holler at me if you are. There are some already camping tinjght, a few more tomorrow, and then most will be there Thursday-Sunday. Won't be able to miss us I promise!

Comment

Another great video. I miss seeing those clear rivers!

What the heck was Collette doing with that fish? =)

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
            Holler at me if you are. There are some already camping tinjght, a few more tomorrow, and then most will be there Thursday-Sunday. Won't be able to miss us I promise!
            If we paddle that stretch, I'll give you a shout! Y'all have fun!
            Originally posted by Chew View Post
            Another great video. I miss seeing those clear rivers!

What the heck was Collette doing with that fish? =)
            Are you talking about the older video where Mary had the $60? She was FaceTiming Les to show him what she caught.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I want to venture to a new stretch or river on our next trip. Let me know if you have experience or suggestions. Llano? Colorado (thanks for the 411 Chad)? Brazos? Hidden gems (feel free to PM me!)
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

I have access to the Brazos just outside of College Station, and that's an ugly river. Not a lot of pretty to it. Might be a gator or two too.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                  I have access to the Brazos just outside of College Station, and that's an ugly river. Not a lot of pretty to it. Might be a gator or two too.
                  I ain't skeered!
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

If you are just looking to paddle (no overnight), you can paddle from Reimers Ranch (Travis County Park) to Pace Bend (Travis County Park). It's about 15-17 miles. Would be a long day, but possible and would check another river off your list. I'm not aware of any islands upon which you could camp.

The only stretch of the Llano I've paddled is from Castell, TX to Schneider Crossing, which is about 4-5 miles. You can keep going to the City of Llano, which is another 7-10 river miles, probably. Again, not a lot of spots to overnight on that part of the Llano, but, if you look real hard, you might be able to find a gravel bar that works.

I paddled the San Gabriel two weeks ago with several folks, one of which was Montecman. It was the stretch from the confluence of the San Gabriel and Berry Creek to Mankins Crossing, which is probably 3 or so miles. A good float there would be from the Inner Loop in Georgetown down to Mankins, which would be about 5 river miles. If you are feeling energetic, you could float from the Inner Loop to Circleville. That is probably 15 river miles, at least. Again, not a lot of spots to overnight.

You might want to talk to Stoof about the Blanco, as he's got some experience paddling that river.
                    Last edited by simek; 06-10-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Nueces maybe? I need to check the flow on that one.

Comment

Gatewood Brown has a great Frio River video....but I don't think there is enough water there either

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                          The Brazos still runs muddy like she’s run all along 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            I want to venture to a new stretch or river on our next trip. Let me know if you have experience or suggestions. Llano? Colorado (thanks for the 411 Chad)? Brazos? Hidden gems (feel free to PM me!)
                            The Colorado River above Lake Buchanan is nice. I have done the section between Bend and the Canyon of the Eagles and there are lots of off shoots with three waterfalls along the way. Camping is available at Colorado Bend SP and it has some good hiking trails also.

I haven't done it yet but the San Saba above Menard looks promising.

Originally posted by simek View Post
                            If you are just looking to paddle (no overnight), you can paddle from Reimers Ranch (Travis County Park) to Pace Bend (Travis County Park). It's about 15-17 miles. Would be a long day, but possible and would check another river off your list. I'm not aware of any islands upon which you could camp.
                            I have done that stretch and you could possibly camp at the boat launch/park at the end of Old Ferry Road. It's not very remote though, any power boat can make most of that trip.

I've always wanted to do the section between Perdernales Falls and Reimers ranch. Have you tried this stretch?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                              I have done that stretch and you could possibly camp at the boat launch/park at the end of Old Ferry Road. It's not very remote though, any power boat can make most of that trip.

I've always wanted to do the section between Perdernales Falls and Reimers ranch. Have you tried this stretch?
                              The boat launch/park (Camp Pedernales/Mona's) is no longer public or a boat ramp/park. It's a wedding venue.

I've not tried the section between Perdernales Falls and Reimers ranch. You might have to do some dragging on that stretch.

Comment

Great times! Michael, we'll have to coordinate our river time in the near future!

Todd

Comment

Working...
                                X