Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/1/19 Update

We were able to shoot another doe and cull buck over the weekend which puts us at 6 doe and 2 cull bucks for the year. Unfortunately we haven't seen the big 12 in quite some time but I don't think he has been shot by anyone so fingers crossed. We put out 1,000lbs of cottonseed and filled all of the protein feeders. The oat/wheat plots are getting hammered right now. We had nearly 20 deer in our 3 acre field two evenings in a row. Here are some pictures of the fields:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0691 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	24566652

Name:	DSCN0689 (Medium).jpg
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	24566653

Name:	DSCN0693 (Medium).jpg
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	24566654

Name:	DSCN0696 (Medium).jpg
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	24566655

Name:	DSCN0697 (Medium).jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	24566656

Name:	IMG_2011 (Medium).jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	24566657

Name:	IMG_8376 (Medium).jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	24566658

As you can see the fields aren't very tall due to the browsing pressure but there is still a lot of forage.

I'm hoping our neighbors were able to really hammer the doe this year to help us reduce the population.

Comment

Cull Buck Shot on 1/1/19

Here is a picture of the 7pt cull buck we shot yesterday. We thought he was a 3.5 or 4.5yr old buck but after looking at his worn down teeth and callused knees we are thinking he was a lot older than we thought. Either way, we have a lot better bucks for his age class and decided it was time to let him hit the dirt.

[ATTACH]940231[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]940232[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]940233[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]940234[/ATTACH]

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Always enjoy watching your place come along! Thanks for Sharing!

Comment

1/15/2019 Update

We got our 3.5 acre plot fenced in a couple of weeks ago to keep the cows off of it to give the deer a chance at some decent forage from January to Spring green-up. We added six fawn gaps throughout the fence to make it easy for smaller deer to just walk right in. We are also planning on planting some Summer food plots to help improve add organic matter to the soil and provide some food for the deer. Our plan is to plant a mixture of Lablab, sunflowers, WGF sorghum and Sunn Hemp so we will see how that does. If any of you have any experience on summer food plots, please let us know. We would like to have something that will help improve the soils and provide food for deer and dove.

Name:	IMG_2227.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	24568123

Name:	IMG_2228.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	24568124

Name:	IMG_2229.jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	24568125

Comment

Your program is really showing some great results. That 137 lb cull buck is impressive weight.

On your summer plots, I would close the fawn gaps.
                My does have fawns inside the plots and coyotes and hogs can’t bother them.
                The tiny fawns can slip thru the fence. I put a water trough in one of my plots also. I ran one strand of barbed wire along the top to discourage cows from leaning in on the fences

I don’t suggest too much milo. I did it too thick one year and couldn’t even mow it!
                FWIW. I planted a few oak trees in my plots where the hogs can’t eat the acorns.
                Lots of sun and fertile soil. They are growing like weeds. But you have to fence and cage them thoroughly.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. We used goat fencing and no barbed wire so if we closed the fawn gaps how could the fawns get through? We decided to not add a top strand of wire bc we’ve seen so many deer get caught between that top wire and the goat fence. We’ll see if we’ll have to add it later on. Thanks for the advice on the milk. I spoke with Turner seed and they recommended that we use both the Spring deer mix and the Spring bird mix, which is probably what we’ll go with. Has anyone tried these mixtures with good results?

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                    Thanks for your thoughts. We used goat fencing and no barbed wire so if we closed the fawn gaps how could the fawns get through? We decided to not add a top strand of wire bc we’ve seen so many deer get caught between that top wire and the goat fence. We’ll see if we’ll have to add it later on. Thanks for the advice on the milk. I spoke with Turner seed and they recommended that we use both the Spring deer mix and the Spring bird mix, which is probably what we’ll go with. Has anyone tried these mixtures with good results?
                    We have had success with both those mixes. We are planting both again this year.

Comment

Thats a beautiful property with some very nice deer yall are growing.

Comment

1/28/2019 Update

My dad is out there this week and noticed that we got around 0.5" of rain yesterday, which was a nice surprise. He also noticed that the fence guy left the gate open so all of the cows were in the big food plot. He was able to get them all out but i'm sure the cows had been in there for about a week or so. Here's what the plot looks like now after the cows have been grazing:

Name:	IMG_5010 (Large).jpg
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	24568282
                        The plot looks like it's still in decent condition after the cows were removed but we could sure use some warmer weather to help it grow.

Comment

1/29/2019 Update

We modified our 16ft trailer so that when we have cottonseed delivered in the next couple of weeks we can pull it along as the cottonseed is being dumped and hopefully the majority of it will fall into the trailer. Whatever doesn't fall inside we will pick up using our tractor bucket and dump it onto the trailer. We had to make it short enough to still be below the decking of the truck but it should still be able to hold around 3.25 tons with ease. We will put a tarp over it and store it under our barn.

Name:	IMG_5018 (Large).jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	24568339

Comment

Great idea on the cottonseed trailer!! Where’s the closest gin that’ll deliver for you?

Comment

Wall Co-Op Cotton gin. We are going to split a load with another TBH member - we will take 4 tons and they are taking the rest i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                                Wall Co-Op Cotton gin. We are going to split a load with another TBH member - we will take 4 tons and they are taking the rest i believe.
                                Can you pm me the details? We just put in a few cotton seed feeders west of menard and used 50lb bags

Comment

Working...
                                X