No announcement yet.

Organized Plan: TBH helping TBH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm willing to donate money or supplies as needed. We just need someone with the time and skill to organize this. I'd love to help out some fellow TBH'ers if possible.

I know there will be tons of money and supplies headed south but I'm always so leery about how much of the stuff ends up in the hands of the people who really need it. And I don't mean that the organizers or other people are stealing stuff or pocketing money, it's just that I've seen this first hand after working in our local shelters housing Katrina evacuees. Tons of donations flood in, some of it can't be used, doesn't get to the right people, isn't needed or maybe isn't needed by the time it was donated and it's just left sitting there. Eventually it gets donated to charity/Goodwill etc but I always think it's a waste since the person who donated those supplies wanted to help someone and in reality their donation was sort of wasted.

My gripe with these big relief organizations is that so much of the money donated goes to paying salaries or funding the operation. I know nothing is free, but I hate seeing hundreds of thousands or even millions of donated dollars never getting to the actual people in need.

I think y'all all know what I mean. I'd love to help and know my donations were going to help some good families from TBH.

- Jason

Comment

I'm coming down from Northwest Arkansas. Anything that anyone needs that they might be out of down there (Besides fuel)that I can pickup for anyone? I'll bring whatever I can.

Comment

I will volunteer to be the go to Auto Parts guy, and supply $ to the effort.......

Comment

Have jeep, boat and saws. Ready to go when needed.

Comment

One of the first things that is going to need to happen is gutting carpet and walls of houses that flooded. It may be a good idea to get a list started of TBH members who's houses took on water and then we can set up another volunteers list to assist those members with that process and divide and conquer.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
              Have jeep, boat and saws. Ready to go when needed.
              Where are you at? A buddy and I want to go up with my Blue Wave but cannot get straight talk about where to go and who to call!!??

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                We just need someone with the time and skill to organize this.
                I'd be willing to take on the responsibility of making and keeping a list up to date of TBH'ers that need assistance. I can help coordinate with/between people that need help and the people that are helping. I think that its going to take the help of quite a few people doing this kind of thing over many many weeks.

I recognize the people that might have been effected the most are likely still displaced from their homes. If you know any of these guys lets keep them in mind as well. It might be weeks before they get on here and see these posts.

My cell phone number is 903-436-0243 if anyone wants to call or text me.

Comment

Originally posted by eagles405 View Post
                  One of the first things that is going to need to happen is gutting carpet and walls of houses that flooded. It may be a good idea to get a list started of TBH members who's houses took on water and then we can set up another volunteers list to assist those members with that process and divide and conquer.
                  I was thinking this exactly. Mud out teams will be needed now real shortly.
                  It's much easier with a good team of 10.

Comment

I want to donate $ if we can get a fund set up for our TBH brothers and sisters affected by this storm.

Comment

Originally posted by Irish_25 View Post
                      I want to donate $ if we can get a fund set up for our TBH brothers and sisters affected by this storm.

Anyone know the best way to get a fund set up to keep from having to loose any money from site fees or service fees?

Comment

I bet it could be done thru the site. Maybe even do a special edition sticker for tbh hurricane relief. Donate some money, Get a sticker!

Another member started a thread with an idea for donations. I think he is on to something.

Last edited by RickH78; 08-29-2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I'm roughing out a 30,000 foot plan because it looks like lots of folks want to help in different ways, and we need to be organized to maximize the effectiveness of each contribution so the THB families that need help need get the maximum benefit.

Right now, in addition to BrandonF's request for ways to avoid transfer fees is exactly the way we should all be thinking. Help our people get what they need and minimize waste. We will also need a way to fund the troops on the ground that are helping, so they don't go into personal debt trying to work and help. They will need housing, food, and fuel. We need to find a support them.

We also need communication technology solutions that will allow us to plan, provide general information and updates, keep us in touch with the TBH boats and boots on the ground.

Comment

I live on 10 acres in Aransas Pass. All my barns are on the ground,boats are flipped over, trees are down and fences are damaged.

But I say that to say this...the house is ok enough and we are ok.

I don't need immediate help but I would be willing to let you guys store trailers, set up campers, or whatever will help those around me.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonF View Post
                              Anyone know the best way to get a fund set up to keep from having to loose any money from site fees or service fees?
                              PayPal FF should do the trick. I am willing to maintain the fund with full transparency. We can keep track of inflows and outflows in a dedicated thread. Someone from TBH admin may want to bless this before we proceed, but I'm in if it gets the green light.

Comment

I want to say thank you all for wanting to help us TBHer's here in Houston and down around Rock port and Aransas pass. This is what I love the most about TBH. When a need arises we all come together. I am here in North Houston area and was so fortunate not to flood but we are stranded from travel. Hopefully for just a couple more days. Y'all can count me in on this. I been wanting to get out and help already but we can't go anywhere right now. Once again thank you all so much!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X