Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
brushtrooper
Ten Point
 
brushtrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Texas/Gulf Coast
Hunt In: Atascosa County
Default AK or AR 15?

I have a Saiga 12 gauge that I really like. That said I have never owned any other semi auto. The Ak platform on the Saiga is easy to use. I have shot a AR-15 a guy at work built and it was fun to shoot. Whats the Pros and Con of each? Main question, which is easier to stock pile ammo for? I need to add I am not looking for pinpoint accuracy, just a good gun that can take a beating and still work and be pretty accurate
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
chtx
Six Point
 
chtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Houston
Hunt In: San Jacinto county and hill country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushtrooper View Post
I have a Saiga 12 gauge that I really like. That said I have never owned any other semi auto. The Ak platform on the Saiga is easy to use. I have shot a AR-15 a guy at work built and it was fun to shoot. Whats the Pros and Con of each? Main question, which is easier to stock pile ammo for? I need to add I am not looking for pinpoint accuracy, just a good gun that can take a beating and still work and be pretty accurate
You pretty much just described an all the upsides of the AK in what you're looking for. Plus they are cheaper and ammo is significantly cheaper. I have both. They are both great so can't really go wrong.
chtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
Artos
Pope & Young
 
Artos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Deep South TX
Hunt In: Deep South TX
Default

If you go with an AK...get an Arsenal.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
bm22
Ten Point
 
bm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: houston
Hunt In: Cotulla,TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushtrooper View Post
I have a Saiga 12 gauge that I really like. That said I have never owned any other semi auto. The Ak platform on the Saiga is easy to use. I have shot a AR-15 a guy at work built and it was fun to shoot. Whats the Pros and Con of each? Main question, which is easier to stock pile ammo for? I need to add I am not looking for pinpoint accuracy, just a good gun that can take a beating and still work and be pretty accurate
If pinpoint accuracy is your goal you will eliminate 90% of the AK's out there. The AR is the more accurate playform.

Today's ammo market is a buyers market. If stock piling ammo is your goal brass .223 amm can be had for $0.30/ round and steel case can be had for around $0.20 a round. You can even buy the 77 gr razor core ammo in bulk for $0.50 a round which will be super accurat in a 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrel with excellent terminal ballistics.

Another thing to consider replacement parts. In SHTF situation AR's and AR parts are everywhere. If the military is deployed they are everywhere and AK not so much.

My vote is AR
bm22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
FireNguns
Ten Point
 
FireNguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lindsay/Gainesville
Hunt In: Cooke County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm22 View Post
If pinpoint accuracy is your goal you will eliminate 90% of the AK's out there. The AR is the more accurate playform.

Today's ammo market is a buyers market. If stock piling ammo is your goal brass .223 amm can be had for $0.30/ round and steel case can be had for around $0.20 a round. You can even buy the 77 gr razor core ammo in bulk for $0.50 a round which will be super accurat in a 1/7 or 1/8 twist barrel with excellent terminal ballistics.

Another thing to consider replacement parts. In SHTF situation AR's and AR parts are everywhere. If the military is deployed they are everywhere and AK not so much.

My vote is AR
Only thing I would also say is that if we go to war again, the chances of picking up an AK off a dead member of the enemy is likely.

Just buy both. Problem solved.
FireNguns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
bm22
Ten Point
 
bm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: houston
Hunt In: Cotulla,TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireNguns View Post
Only thing I would also say is that if we go to war again, the chances of picking up an AK off a dead member of the enemy is likely.

Just buy both. Problem solved.
Yes but if you are seen carrying an enemy gun at 300 + yards away there is a good chance your going to get shot, best stick with the guns the good guys carry.
bm22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Danimal14
Ten Point
 
Danimal14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: pflugerville
Hunt In: anywhere freinds will take me and granger phl
Default

Ak 7.62 round is fun to shoot and has the power to blow through things but harder to stay on target rapid firing...I think it may be more fun than a 556.

The ar you may be more accurate at 100yds or more but I'm about the same with either iron sights at 50.
Ar is easier to stay on target and more finesse and prettier

I'm in the get both camp...but for what your describing find you a saiga ak first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Danimal14 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #8
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Clay C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Default AK or AR 15?

There's a lot of myths floating around both rifles. The AR is an all around better weapon, period. For funs and giggles, it's a toss up. Both are awesome.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2017, 11:17 PM   #9
snipermedic
Ten Point
 
snipermedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Palacios,Wharton,Brazoria
Hunt In: Arkansas
Default

Less likely to need AK spare parts that AR parts. AK doesn't care what it eats abd eats just fine on a budget.
snipermedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
BigJimmyRustler
Six Point
 
BigJimmyRustler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Austin
Hunt In: Tejas
Default

FACTS:
commie trashcan guns are not "cheaper" than AR's anymore.
AK's are ergonomic nightmares when compared to the modularity and versatility of the AR platform.
The AK munitions market is typically very dependent upon cheap imported ammo (IE. if the importations were to slow the price would rise quickly)(Ex. see 5.45x39mm).
Then there is the backing and buying of imported weapons and munitions as opposed to domestically produced goods.
Generally speaking the AR is not less reliable than an AK just like an AK isn't less accurate than an AR. These are myths as both systems are both plenty reliable and accurate (and affordable to boot) to get the job done or they wouldn't be the two most popular military rifles in existence.

OPINIONS:
The AR15 is the most popular gun in America, so unless you're planning on going to the comblock countries in a SHTF scenario you'd be better served to obtain an AR over an AK if only getting one IMO.
The 5.56x45mm cartridge is the more versatile cartridge IMO with a wide array of different purpose munitions available to suit most any need that should arise with regards to dealing with two legged issues (Including availability and budget friendly options).

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 09-15-2017 at 11:05 AM.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
talleywack97
Ten Point
 
talleywack97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ellis co.
Hunt In: Out East a bit
Default

I remember seeing where a AK and an M16 (gen 1) were run thru the worst conditions available and the stamped rattlin ugly commie gun never hesitated during mud test. M16 had multiple issues. But that being said i will always own AR's. Ak's not so much
talleywack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:34 AM   #12
cbd10pt
Ten Point
 
cbd10pt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: League city/ Marbella
Hunt In: looking for new places
Default

You can build an AR-15 in 7.62 by 39 and have the best of both worlds
cbd10pt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Clay C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
FACTS:
commie trashcan guns are not "cheaper" than AR's anymore.
AK's are ergonomic nightmares when compared to the modularity and versatility of the AR platform.
The AK munitions market is typically very dependent upon cheap imported ammo (IE. if the importations were to slow the price would rise quickly)(Ex. see 5.45x39mm).
Then there is the backing and buying of imported weapons and munitions as opposed to domestically produced goods.
Generally speaking the AR is not less reliable than an AK just like an AK isn't less accurate than an AR. These are myths as both systems are both plenty reliable and accurate (and affordable to boot) to get the job done or they wouldn't be the two most popular military rifles in existence.

OPINIONS:
The AR15 is the most popular gun in America, so unless you're planning on going to the comblock countries in a SHTF scenario you'd be better served to obtain an AR over an AK if only getting one IMO.
The 5.56x45mm cartridge is the more versatile cartridge IMO with a wide array of different purpose munitions available to suit most any need that should arise with regards to dealing with two legged issues (Including availability and budget friendly options).
That is a good point. All it takes is a signature and cost benefits of 7.62X39 will be negated.



That myth is unfortunately dug in most people's minds. If anything the AR has proven to be more reliable. At the very least it is more field serviceable if an issue does arise.

Last edited by Clay C; 09-15-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #14
Clay C
Ten Point
 
Clay C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Conroe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleywack97 View Post
I remember seeing where a AK and an M16 (gen 1) were run thru the worst conditions available and the stamped rattlin ugly commie gun never hesitated during mud test. M16 had multiple issues. But that being said i will always own AR's. Ak's not so much
Recent test have shown just the opposite.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com