X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job! looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by dhall1414 View Post
      wits end, have you looked in to a battery array for surplus storage?
      Just now noticed this, seems like my notifications don't work anymore.
      I have not looked into battery storage simply because I do not have a need for using it offgrid. I use the grid as my "storage" system. I now have a generator for when the grid goes down.

Comment

I finally got around to checking on system performance more than simply passing by and seeing that it was on. I was manually downloading data and summing it up, but these numbers are from inverter panel, could vary slightly from previously posted numbers.

KWh
        July 969
        August 1195
        September 1098
        October 956
        November 551
        December 489
        January 585
        February 596
        March 928
        April 949

Total in 10 months 8315 kWh.
        About $1000 saved on electricity bill in 10 months.

Keep in mind, winter dropped significantly due to sun angle. My panels are basically flat and ideal in winter is like 40deg. I'm considering mods to frame.

Comment

Just saw/read this whole thread. Pretty cool project for sure. So now that you have some pretty solid numbers and what I figured up from the numbers you posted.....you are saving about $100 a month so it will take a tad over 5 years for ROI (which isnt bad). Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
            Just saw/read this whole thread. Pretty cool project for sure. So now that you have some pretty solid numbers and what I figured up from the numbers you posted.....you are saving about $100 a month so it will take a tad over 5 years for ROI (which isnt bad). Is that correct?
            Two of the better power months left and I installed july 7th, so that wasn't a full month's data. I might be closer to $120/month.
            Approximately 42 months is my best guess.

If steel prices would come down I would expand carport, add 9 panels, and maximize my inverter. I imagine my roi would be the same and I'd have a more powerful system.

Comment

Man, I have heard nothing but bad stories from folks regarding going solar like you have, but sounds like what you are doing is working and is worth the investment.

Comment

Great thread. Thanks for the follow up stats.

Comment

Not sure if i mentioned but 26% federal tax credit on materials made overall cost about $5k.

Comment

Here is an issue I am running into. Bought my house in July. Has solar panels and inverter and etc. Previous home owner had roof put on, but solar panels were not hooked up. So there is just wires up there. I need to hook them back up.. but I am very basic when it comes to electrical. I can wire lights inside of my house. I attempted to match wires up, but it just kept tripping the breaker it was connected to. So I just disconnected and gave up. I assume an electrician would know how to hook this all back up? Id like to get them hooked back up and see if I can save some money. Anything helps. They are older panels, and nothing owed on them. I hate to waste them.

Comment

Originally posted by da_pepper View Post
                      Here is an issue I am running into. Bought my house in July. Has solar panels and inverter and etc. Previous home owner had roof put on, but solar panels were not hooked up. So there is just wires up there. I need to hook them back up.. but I am very basic when it comes to electrical. I can wire lights inside of my house. I attempted to match wires up, but it just kept tripping the breaker it was connected to. So I just disconnected and gave up. I assume an electrician would know how to hook this all back up? Id like to get them hooked back up and see if I can save some money. Anything helps. They are older panels, and nothing owed on them. I hate to waste them.
                      Without knowing what kind of panel and inverter system it would be difficult to explain or draw it up for you.

Comment

Wits_End, could I bother you for an update on the system's performance? depending on your experience I may try to copycat you.

Comment

All has been pretty smooth for the first year. In late June I didn't hear the hum of the money coming through the inverter and noticed a red light indicating it had lost grid power. I noticed the breaker had tripped and after a few days of dorking with the breaker tripping several more times, I replaced the 30A breaker with a new one. I lost a few days of solar generation, maybe $30, but all has been well since. I believe I am doing pretty good with the 12cent energy price, I have heard of others having much higher prices, which would make this an even better deal. I plan to expand the carport and the system, likely over the winter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	170
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	26555375

Comment

Nice detail on results. Will look into this once we get a few other things at the ranch taken care of.

Comment

Working...
                            X