No announcement yet.

Duck leases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats what I need to get into!! I got a 15 week old lab that needs to lean to hunt!

Comment

I have been looking for a lease for a while now, and yeah most of the places around Houston/El Campo area are hunt clubs which require a bit of scouting (X number of ponds/fields so you need to know which pond/field to sign up for for the hunt). If you are new to duck hunting a hunt club may be the way to go since you can learn from others. I would suggest go the public hunting route.

I am not sure what boat you have, but you can stick to the slews or grass line so you can avoid open water. Good luck.

Comment

The only one I could think of is Run n Gun. Have some buddies on the lease part of it and they do pretty good. Also have a buddy that guides on the day hunt stuff and the murder birds all the time. Not sure of cost but something to look into. They have lease land all over the place

Comment

I guess we cut ourselves short. We just leased our lake to duck hunters for $250 a gun.

Comment

You can take alot of guided duck hunts for the price of a lease.

Comment

If I didn't own my property, which is managed quite extensively for waterfowl, I would do one of two things. Hunt the middle Texas coast exclusively by airboat or buy a hunt club membership with Run n Gun or the likes. I see people I work with year after year try their hand with a duck lease. They end up with one pond on a piece of land in a coastal county that they hunt during early teal season and regular duck season. Usually 4-6 other hunters on this lease/pond also. Said pond is usually 40-60 acres in size and in areas that don't hold significant amounts of water. They may enjoy one or two good hunts early in the season and then are lucky to shoot 2 ducks per hunt the remainder of the season. A single lake just doesn't hold the food source, if there was one to begin with, through out both duck seasons. Nor does the same blind handle hunting pressure over and over.

The benefit of a hunt club (like Run n Gun) is they have multiple properties and the ability to move where the birds are. They can also stagger when they pump up certain properties to manage the food source at different times of the season. Hunting the coast is similar in some regards. You don't have to hunt the same blind. Move to where the birds are.
              Last edited by Pin Oak DXT; 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post

That’s what I have been doing this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also, you might want to start calling around to the clubs that interest you as most of the good ones will have a waiting list. I’m currently in a group on one of the less expensive clubs and a guy in my group has been on the wait list for 3 yrs trying to get into the club he wants on.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGProstaff View Post

If you have established a relationship with a guide, i’d ask him. They always have holes that hold birds but don’t work for commercial hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGProstaff View Post

Same here. Works great, but I would enjoy being able to scout, build blinds.... camaraderie and such...
                      Lesto!!

Comment

There seems to be enough interest in a duck lease and General gave me an idea. I have a buddy that guides for a place in and around East Bernard...

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbait View Post
                          I guess we cut ourselves short. We just leased our lake to duck hunters for $250 a gun.
                          Let me know next season

Comment

For as much as I duck hunt, that would have to be one heck of a $10,000 + duck lease.

For the ideal duck hunt club or lease I would gladly pay in the $4k ballpark.

All this being said, ive hunted and still hunt public land all my life. I hunt about 3-4 times a week and do well enough to keep me and anyone I bring addicted. Give public land a shot. It is by no means a walk in the park but the learning curve got me addicted.

Comment

Working...
                            X