rest/shelf question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rest/shelf question

Can a messed up shelf and/or side plate make me shoot very erraticall? I have already read the thread about fixing the shelf/side plate, but I want someone to tell me that my erratic shooting is because my shelf material is worn out, not because I suck.

I hope this is why I seem to be getting worse rather than better when I shoot. Even at 10 yards, I am all over the place.

Arrow spine I'd guess. Look at the bow and see if you can located a spot on the riser where the arrows are kicking into it.

Comment

Also, when you get everything figured out...WRITE IT DOWN TWICE! I lost my tuning notes on my Wildcatt and was getting very discouraged. Same arrows, same tips, same bow and my shooting sucked. I was also getting nicks in the finish of my bow next to the shelf. Asked on here and someone suggested nock height so raised it up a bit...also raised BH a bit thinking it should be higher. BAM! I found the sweet spot again. I have taken the string on and off a couple of times trying a sure grip and I am guess I lost a twist or two in the string. Now arrows are flying real nice and no more contact with the shelf. This time I wrote all the info down twice, once in my notebook and once more on a slip of paper I threw in my tackle box!

Comment

Ben -

Sounds like we need to get a "NW Houston" Newbie training session going.

I know there are a bunch of guys up our way.

I know OlMan, Woody, BMacBMac1, and a few others are within 30 mins.

I would take some pics and post up to show people what you are talking about. I would be glad to get together and shoot anytime.

Comment

I second the notion of a NW trad gathering. Both me and my bro have block targets so we can shoot where ever. Not that we are experts by any means but we did pick up some great tips on Saturday from Doug(OlMan) and Billy (BMACBMAC1).

Comment

I really need help with my shooting. I am looking at my shelf/side plate right now and I am sure that they need to be replaced. If my camera battery wasn't dead, I could post some pics. I am just wondering if my erratic shooting can be blamed on the state of the rest, or if I am messed up.

Comment

For all of us NEWBIES......

My recomendation is to pin Ol Man down to some one on one time. I know from experience that his talents and our best chance of learning are in VERY small or one on one mentoring from him.

He has told me that in larger groups there ends being too much of everything and not enouph of one thing!

JMO!

I am not much help but willing to offer what I have......

Comment

Ben, I can't answer your question without seeing the bow and seeing you shoot. Whatever is causing the wear on the shelf/side plate could definitely cause bad arrow flight which results in "bad shooting". Get with Ol Man or Tradag02 and they can get you straightened out.

Bisch

Comment

I replaced the shelf/side plate material last night. I used some velcro backing. I haven't shot it yet to see if it improves things. We'll see.

Ol Man and Bmac: I sent PMs

Comment

Working...
                  X