Upper Lake Travis..and tons of water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper Lake Travis..and tons of water?

Anyone know why they were releasing so much water from Max Starkie yesterday? I decided to take the kids fishing up at Shaffer Bend Park. Figured they could play in the creek and we could fish a hole at dark. But as my luck would have it they were releasing tons of water and it was a raging river. Lowest rainfall in years and they release water the one day I head up there LOL.

Just curious why they would do that. If anyone knows please reply.

probably in anticipation of all the rain that is gonna come down from the rain?

that's all i can figure.

Comment

May have gotten a lot farther up the system

Comment

Someone of importance downstream needed water?

Comment

The water shed on the Colorado River got hammered with rain. Apparently the flood gauges up stream were indicating water coming down. They had to make room for the water coming in. Call LCRA in Austin and ask them for more info.

Comment

Rice farmers probably slipped another $50 bill in the LCRA's pocket.

Comment

Maybe just to **** you off??

Comment

they are predicting all the rain will only raise Buchanan about 6 inches. No need to send it downstream but they will.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                  they are predicting all the rain will only raise Buchanan about 6 inches. No need to send it downstream but they will.
                  This ticks me off....SMH

Comment

Hopefully those storms will keep pounding the watershed north of Buchanan. Looks like some decent rain falling up there now. As Big as Buchanan is, it'll take a weeks worth of 5+" rain/day to fill her up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Murphey View Post
                      Someone of importance downstream needed water?
                      Not sure of when rice farmers need to flood but this would be my guess. Its one of the reasons the ****s were built.

Comment

The rice farmers didn't get water this year.

Comment

Who is they?

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                            Rice farmers probably slipped another $50 bill in the LCRA's pocket.
                            I wish it worked that way. There's hardly any rice farming going on in Matagorda county. Rice was once the staple crop of the county. Now it's corn and cotton. There's a family that's has been farming rice for 6 generations and before lcra closed the valve off, they were farming over 3,800 acres of rice. Last year they were only able to farm 260 acres because of water rationing by lcra. This family has never row cropped and they are having buy all new equipment for row crop and having to learn as they go. It's sad all the way around, but it's by no means the rice farmers doing it.

Comment

Could it have been for recreational use?

Comment

Working...
                              X